The Future of Lindback

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Yes, it's brutal when they are tied or winning. Notice how right after NJ scored Buffalo got away from that? They are basically playing to keep the game tied for as long as possible and hopefully capitalize on a mistake.

That's the only way they have a chance though, so I don't blame Nolan for that. If we tried to play like Edmonton or Dallas we probably have 35 points right now.
Yup. As soon as they got behind last night they started giving up a bunch of odd man rushes and breakaways. The "system" that Nolan has in place simply lends itself to high save percentages. I don't think it's some magic potion that Irbe has developed.

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014
Yup. As soon as they got behind last night they started giving up a bunch of odd man rushes and breakaways. The "system" that Nolan has in place simply lends itself to high save percentages. I don't think it's some magic potion that Irbe has developed.

The Sabres as a team don't have a high save percentage. They are 23rd in the league.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
The Sabres as a team don't have a high save percentage. They are 23rd in the league.
I would argue 23rd is pretty good, considering how bad of a team we are and how we haven't started an actually decent goalie all year. I would have guessed it would be higher, though... But then again, we have had some really bad stretches that have probably brought the average down to Earth.

Last edited:

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Two good weeks and people are suggesting resigning him?

He'll be lucky to have a job as a backup next year.

its is the situation...I see people wanting to throw 20 million at Niemi. I think that is more crazy.

I think the next two years are still part of the rebuild. Why people want to pay a goalie 4-5 million a season is crazy. I would rather save the money and sign someone short term and use the extra cash to sign forward(s). Then after two years perhaps one of our prospects is ready to take over. If not we look at the UFA goalies then. If we can spend 2 million for two goalies I think that we are doing great.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
So people really think Irbe is responsible for these goaltenders inflated numbers??? Its called 5 men not worrying about offense and everything is geared towards protecting the net. Won't allow you to go far in the NHL but will make your goalie look good.

Thank G-d I'm not the only person who sees this. This style of play is a joke. It's not a trap. It's nothing. It's recipe to try and win 1-0 or 2-1 while being outshoot every game. It doesn't work. It's the strategy for team Latvia

I know Irbe is in part responsible for these goalies having some success. I know this because each goalie has said he was. But Irbe isn't the entire reason. Another major factor is each of them has gotten an opportunity to be the guy for stretch. It helps them get in a rhythm and build their confidence. Instead of being a backup getting spot duty, which has no rhythm and can ruin their confidence if they have a bad outing. Allowing them to build their confidence is huge. Its a big factor in any goalie's success. Now that Enroth/Neuvrith are back to spot duty as backups (or at least not being the main guy). They've both struggled again. Enroth in particular is in backup goalie hell playing for Lindy. Who is notoriously harsh with his backups giving them a very short leash.

As for your system comments, you're re-confirming what I've leaned this season. Many posters don't understand systems/strategy/tactics at all. Don't know what they look like, how they are implemented, why they work or what types off players work best in them. But that doesn't stop them from ranting about them.

You're also putting forth this absurd idea. That the system we play is not NHL caliber or not even a system its so pathetic but at the same time its helping our goalies have great save%. That obviously makes no sense.

If you actually watched last night's game you would have seen that the Devils were the team that sat back and waited for counter attacking opportunities. That the Devils were the team heavily focused on defense. Its what the Devils do and have done for years. We out chanced them and were outshooting them for most of the game.

Also we play either man to man defense in our zone with players picking up their individual responsibilities and sticking with them. Or a combo of zone and man to man. With players covering an opponent man to man in their zone of responsibility then passing them off to another player as the opposing player leaves their area of responsibility. We do not have all of our players simply collapsing to the front of the net once in our zone all the time. Nor do they avoid trying to go on the attack. The funny thing is that many teams do collapse to the net defensively. We do it on occasion. Playing a zone with a collapsing aspect to it. But for some reason you think that isn't a NHL tactic or strategy.

Last edited:

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I know Irbe is in part responsible for these goalies having some success. I know this because each goalie has said he was. But Irbe isn't the entire reason. Another major factor is each of them has gotten an opportunity to be the guy for stretch. It helps them build them get in a rhythm and build their confidence. Instead of a backup getting spot duty which has no rhythm and can ruin their confidence if the have a bad outing. Allowing them to build their confidence is huge. Its a big factor in any goalie's success. Now that Enroth/Neuvrith are back to spot duty as backups (or at least not being the main guy). They've both struggled again. Enroth in particular is in backup goalie hell playing for Lindy. He is notoriously harsh with his backups giving them a very short leash.

As for you system comments, you're re-confirming what I've leaned this season. Many posters don't understand systems/strategy/tactics at all. Don't know what they look like, how they are implemented, why they work or what types off players work best in them. But that doesn't stop them from ranting about them.

You're also putting forth this absurd idea that the system we play is not NHL caliber or not even a system its so pathetic. But at the same time its helping our goalies have great save%. That obviously makes no sense.

If you actually watched last night's game you would have seen that the Devils were the team that sat back and waited for counter attacking opportunities. That the Devils were the team heavily focused on defense. Its what the Devils do and have done for years. We out chanced them and were outshooting them for most of the game.

Also we play either man to man defense in our zone with players picking up their individual responsibilities and sticking with them. Or a combo of zone and man to man. With players covering an opponent man to man in their zone of responsibility then passing them off to another player as the opposing player leaves their area of responsibility. We do not have all of our players simply collapsing to the front of the net once in our zone. Nor do they avoid trying to go on the attack. The funny thing is that many teams do collapse to the net defensively. We do it on occasion. But for some reason you think that isn't a NHL tactic or strategy.

Excellent post. I agree.

The main reason it looks like we are not an attacking team most of the time is because we can't sustain any kind of attack!

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Its a product of being of a terrible possession team. As such we give up a lot of shots. So if our goalie is playing well his save % will be good.

To further make this point, Lindback has given up three goals in 5 of his 7 starts.

-Last night -------> 3 goals on 27 shots (save % .889).
- 3/16 vs Wash -> 3 goals on 38 shots (.921)
-3/11 vs Leafs --> 3 goals on 34 shots (.912)
-3/6 vs Ott ------> 3 goals on 37 shots (.919)
-3/3 vs Tampa --> 3 goals on 35 shots (.914)

Last night was the exception with 27 shots. Its the least amount of shots we've given up since Feb 10th. In fact we've only given up less than 30 shots 8 times this year. Normally we give up a lot of shots. If our goalie can hold the opposition to 3 goals with our typical shot allowance. Then they will have a real good save %. Throw in a couple great games (like his other two starts vs the Rags and Bruins) and his save percentage will be outstanding.

So its not the product of a system. Its also not a magic potion from Irbe. Lindback's success is part Irbe helping him make some corrective tweaks. Its part getting to play several games in a row which tells him the coach has faith in him which builds his confidence. Its also part not having a ton pressure as the back up goalie playing for a coach (Lindy Ruff) who is notoriously hard on his backups. The combined effect of all of these things is a more relaxed and confident goalie who is playing very well.

EDIT: I should add they have done a better job in not giving up a ton of odd man rushes. That part of their game has been cleaned up a bit. That certainly helps your goalie. They also try to keep the shots to the outside and try to block shooting lanes. But they're not talented enough to truly shut off those options. Its why Boston had 44 shots on goal. As Zip pointed out with the shot chart for that game. There were a ton of shots from prime scoring areas in that game. Lindback was just lights out and was the singular reason for his performance.

Last edited:

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014
its is the situation...I see people wanting to throw 20 million at Niemi. I think that is more crazy.

I think the next two years are still part of the rebuild. Why people want to pay a goalie 4-5 million a season is crazy. I would rather save the money and sign someone short term and use the extra cash to sign forward(s). Then after two years perhaps one of our prospects is ready to take over. If not we look at the UFA goalies then. If we can spend 2 million for two goalies I think that we are doing great.

Fine, you can still sign someone better than Lindback. The only reason you'd go into next season with him as the starter would be to tank. Chad Johnson is better than him, and he's under contract next year.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
Hmm, he looks slow, leaves a lot of the net open and doesn't have great mobility to me. His track record for the last three seasons has been pretty poor.

I'm not beyond keeping him on a one-year deal to be the 2/3 goalie in the organization, but I have no real interest seeing him around past this year.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Fine, you can still sign someone better than Lindback. The only reason you'd go into next season with him as the starter would be to tank. Chad Johnson is better than him, and he's under contract next year.

Or as a backup. Stated in my post. I don't think there is a prospect that is NHL ready on our roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad