The Future of Lindback

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Sorry if this is posted...

What are people's thoughts on resigning Lindback?

I am all for giving Lindback a 2-years contract(one year would burn us if he excels) but I am not ready to hand over the goaltending to him next year. I would like to see someone brought in and give Lindback the opportunity to win the job.

Anyone interested in seeing what this guy can do next year? I think we have a season to experiement with in goal and see where it goes. Not big on the UFAs this year and we could get a steal if this guy is ready to play. He had huge potential coming into the league.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Why not give him 2 years at 750,000 a season. Sabres have nothing to lose. Hackett is gone and no one will be ready to step up. Either that or he probably goes back to Europe.

RoofIt5hole

Ball Don't Lie
Jul 1, 2014
Chicago
Let Lindback go & sign the Hamburglar. Ottawa won't resign him seeing as they've got Lehner & Anderson already... Could probably get a decent deal on him too. This team's not going to seriously compete next season might as well take a flyer on Hammond

wheelklown

Dec 19, 2014
Batavia, NY
I dont think it matters who we have in goal as long as we keep Arturs Irbe for...... ever.

I wouldnt hate keeping Lindback if he's cheap enough, same said for going after Hammond... but I see TM going aftier Niemi as a UFA to be the guy.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
in Nolan is fired before the season starts, we might not have Irbe to get these goalies playing at these sometimes passable numbers

then Lindback goes back to looking like the Lightning Lindback

WNY Hockey Prospects

Mar 24, 2013
Rochester, NY
I dont think it matters who we have in goal as long as we keep Arturs Irbe for...... ever.

I wouldnt hate keeping Lindback if he's cheap enough, same said for going after Hammond... but I see TM going aftier Niemi as a UFA to be the guy.

Best quote thus far. With what Irbe has done with Enroth, Neuvirth and Lindback, I'd be ok with any FA/backup under his tutelage

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Considering we already have Johnson under contract for next year, I'd rather go with a more proven NHL starter next year. I can't see him being re-signed here considering his body of work the past two seasons.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Until I see Lindback play like he has been playing consistently in games that matter, I wouldn't offer him more than a 1 year deal. The goalie game is so much about their disposition and ability to handle pressure that I don't consider this hot streak anything more than that.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I don't like that all three goalies have done great here and then Enroth and Neuvirth have been schickbaah since leaving.

It's either heavily on Irbe, or it's the thrill of being the only key to a victory, having no pressure and nothing to lose in terms of team points in a race.

For whatever reason, three goalies who were not world beaters have come into this **** show with nothing to worry about as it relates to usual positional pressure and thrived.

We need to be sure we get a guy who is mentally present and can handle the rigors of what kind of pressure being on a better team brings.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
So people really think Irbe is responsible for these goaltenders inflated numbers??? Its called 5 men not worrying about offense and everything is geared towards protecting the net. Won't allow you to go far in the NHL but will make your goalie look good.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
A few of the things I've noticed about Lindy so far this season is that he has some pretty bad fundamentals. He is always a bit off of square to the shooter, his lateral movement leaves a lot to be desired, and his legs don't come out enough when he decides to butterfly. I hope the defects are coachable.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
So people really think Irbe is responsible for these goaltenders inflated numbers??? Its called 5 men not worrying about offense and everything is geared towards protecting the net. Won't allow you to go far in the NHL but will make your goalie look good.

Thank G-d I'm not the only person who sees this. This style of play is a joke. It's not a trap. It's nothing. It's recipe to try and win 1-0 or 2-1 while being outshoot every game. It doesn't work. It's the strategy for team Latvia

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
A few of the things I've noticed about Lindy so far this season is that he has some pretty bad fundamentals. He is always a bit off of square to the shooter, his lateral movement leaves a lot to be desired, and his legs don't come out enough when he decides to butterfly. I hope the defects are coachable.

Lindback is what..... 26? He's had tons of opportunity and coaches and time to correct any bad fundamentals.

Last edited:

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I don't like that all three goalies have done great here and then Enroth and Neuvirth have been schickbaah since leaving.

It's either heavily on Irbe, or it's the thrill of being the only key to a victory, having no pressure and nothing to lose in terms of team points in a race.

For whatever reason, three goalies who were not world beaters have come into this **** show with nothing to worry about as it relates to usual positional pressure and thrived.

We need to be sure we get a guy who is mentally present and can handle the rigors of what kind of pressure being on a better team brings.

Pretty easy to play well when you have zero pressure to win, and face alot of shots.

I don't like his lateral ability at all, and think he can get exposed big time over a bigger sample size. Teams are probably now just getting a scouting report on him.

Last edited:

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Thank G-d I'm not the only person who sees this. This style of play is a joke. It's not a trap. It's nothing. It's recipe to try and win 1-0 or 2-1 while being outshoot every game. It doesn't work. It's the strategy for team Latvia

Yes, it's brutal when they are tied or winning. Notice how right after NJ scored Buffalo got away from that? They are basically playing to keep the game tied for as long as possible and hopefully capitalize on a mistake.

That's the only way they have a chance though, so I don't blame Nolan for that. If we tried to play like Edmonton or Dallas we probably have 35 points right now.

Last edited:

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje

I agree with this from the first games I saw him play as a Sabre (haven't seen the latest three or so). But the funny thing is that I watched him in Sweden and I can't say I saw any obvious flaws in his fundamentals then. Granted I'm not a goalie expert or so. But while with Brynäs, he was coached by Pekka Alcén, who also developed Markström and Ericsson and, to a lesser extent, Läck and Svedberg. I don't think you get to leave Alcén's watch with bad fundamentals, so I'm sure it's more of an issue with Lindbäck translating his game to the NHL.

The way Lindbäck played in Sweden was a game of acting rather then reacting. He'd always be in the right position and he'd use his size and just let pucks bounce off him. Puck blocker more than puck catcher. Nothing flashy but calm and reliable. That is not the Lindbäck I've seen in the NHL. I think the game has just been to fast for him and he has struggled to find the pace. Once you get a little bit late, being that big is probably a disadvantage.

Long story short: I think he has the fundamentals, he just hasn't been able to translate it to the NHL and probably also lost some confidence along the way. If he's back on track, he'll be a good goalie.

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014
Two good weeks and people are suggesting resigning him?

He'll be lucky to have a job as a backup next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad