OT: The Friday Five

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
Is it time we isolated this to a dedicated thread? Either mods can dismiss it, or folks will prefer staying within the standard OT - but, in honoUr of the all star break, I thought I'd give it a shot.

For those new: each Friday, I have taken it upon myself to ask five questions that are meant to amuse, encourage debate, make one think, increase transparency, and, hey, get to know each other a little better. Previous Five's can be seen in the standard OT thread.

This week, though, at the suggestion of @caz16 , we are going to do a Monday One through Friday Five as a little life preserver for the lack of hockey. Alas, I bring you:

NeelyDan's Monday One:

What type of Natural "Disaster" are you most fascinated (or scared of etc) with - i.e. hurricanes, tornadoes, asteroid collisions, volcanoes, earthquakes, floods, avalanches, sun going nova, a new Ice Age, tsunami, you get the idea

Last edited:

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Tornadoes have always scared the shit out of me. The total randomness of your neighbor across the street having their house destroyed while you lose a few shingles is beyond comprehension to me.

Honorable mention to the tsunami.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
What type of Natural "Disaster" are you most fascinated (or scared of etc) with - i.e. hurricanes, tornadoes, asteroid collisions, volcanoes, earthquakes, floods, avalanches, sun going nova, a new Ice Age, tsunami, you get the idea

I find tornadoes to be equal parts fascinating and terrifying. How they are studied and how the meterologists warn the public are constantly changing as is disaster planning and recovery. I'm fascinated by it all. I got the chance to see the office where the severe weather, including tornadoes, for the entire country, are watched and warned when needed. I could have stayed for hours.

At the same time, they terrify me. My family each have weather radios and storm shelters and every Saturday at noon, unless it is a home football game, they test the tornado sirens. Meterologists warn viewers of potential threats a week ahead of time and continue to monitor and alert up until that day. As long as you pay attention and pay attention to the preparedness tips, you're going to be ok.

When I looked for new apartment in December, I asked about their safety protocols and found a place with reinforced concrete stairwells and covered parking which are very important especially because tornadoes don't care what time of day it is.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Probably a hurricane or a blizzard, I always thought it would be really cool to be the reporter standing their getting belted by the power of nature

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
While I enjoy the Friday Five and actively contribute to it, we cant have everyone having there own special OT threads. In the past we have had requests and turned them down for same reason.
Sorry.

IMG_1087.gif

Reactions: NeelyDan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad