GDT: The Forgotten Game- Flames @ Blue Jackets- 5:00 PM - SNW

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
The good news is Tkachuk looks like a real stud
The bad news is Bennett and Monahan are no savior

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Interesting fact: The home team has only won 2 out of the last 13 games when we play the Blue Jackets

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
When Johnny comes back; I'd like to see the lines:

Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Versteeg - Monahan - Brouwer
Gaudreau - Bennett - Ferland
Hathaway - Stajan - Chiasson/Hamilton

Keep Monahan away from Gaudreau, those two together in this system are horrible. Monahan in general has been bad; it gives Calgary another line people have to worry about.

I like the third line. Bennett and Ferland are absolute puck hounds. They cause havoc and turnovers. Bennett has high level speed to keep up with Johnny. In a perfect world that becomes our first line in a couple seasons anyways.

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
When Johnny comes back; I'd like to see the lines:

Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Versteeg - Monahan - Brouwer
Gaudreau - Bennett - Ferland
Hathaway - Stajan - Chiasson/Hamilton

Keep Monahan away from Gaudreau, those two together in this system are horrible. Monahan in general has been bad; it gives Calgary another line people have to worry about.

I like the third line. Bennett and Ferland are absolute puck hounds. They cause havoc and turnovers. Bennett has high level speed to keep up with Johnny. In a perfect world that becomes our first line in a couple seasons anyways.

I like it. Definitely Hamilton over Chiasson

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I thought Alex had a strong game tonight even. 0 Zone starts and still was only one of 6 Flames in the >50% possession.

Did Ottawa fans rub off on some of you guys? The guy played the 4th least minutes among forwards, it likely would have even been less had he not played 1 1/2 minutes of PK. It's not like he's being force fed top line minutes anymore :laugh: and he was far and away not the reason Monny and Johnny were struggling.

I honestly don't know why some of you guys dislike him so much? He made some smart plays tonight, but mostly, he's just a depth winger with size and some speed that's making as much as a depth winger should make.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I liked Chiasson tonight as well. He wasn't anything special but his backcheck and forecheck are consistent and I really liked his power move off the boards in the 3rd even though it didn't work. He has the same frustrating qualities as Colborne and he makes a good whipping boy but he's fine as a 4th liner.

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
I thought Alex had a strong game tonight even. 0 Zone starts and still was only one of 6 Flames in the >50% possession.

Did Ottawa fans rub off on some of you guys? The guy played the 4th least minutes among forwards, it likely would have even been less had he not played 1 1/2 minutes of PK. It's not like he's being force fed top line minutes anymore :laugh: and he was far and away not the reason Monny and Johnny were struggling.

I honestly don't know why some of you guys dislike him so much? He made some smart plays tonight, but mostly, he's just a depth winger with size and some speed that's making as much as a depth winger should make.

I'm indifferent about him, but if it's between him and Freddie I would definitely choose Freddie, thats all I'm saying

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I didn't love the game, thought we looked like we were a step behind, but a few thoughts:

Ferland is showing he has a TON of talent. Just seems like he's confused as to what his role is. Knows he can be a skill guy, but has repeatedly been told his value as a grinder. He'll figure it out and keep getting better I think. Poor man's Lucic.

Versteeg... man he sure made his presence felt! For better or worse. I also love how the only hit he's thrown in like 6 years was a check to the head after being laid out himself! :laugh: Him and Brouwer were like oil & water last night, but it still worked somehow.

Tkachuk is very quickly becoming one of my favorites on the team. What surprises me most about his game is he seems to be one of the smartest players on the team. Plays like a 10 year veteran. Knows when to make the smart plays where you'd expect other young rookies to try to do too much. Just plays a great all around game and adds that pest factor that we haven't had since Nieminen.

Johnson, GOAT. What I love most about Johnson outplaying Elliot, is that our 'backup' is not outplaying a $5 million 'starter'. Makes it easier to run with him for a while.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad