OT: The Football Thread

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Should be an interesting next few weeks, I’d like to see the Jets add an offensive lineman (Thuney or Linsley), probably a receiver (someone like Samuel) and I bet they go after Sherman. I think they trade Sam, if they can get a 2nd I’d be happy. This draft and next years draft will be huge for the franchise, Douglas will have to hit on every pick.

I'd be shocked if Sherman isn't a Jet. The Jets need for a veteran corner on and off the field plus Saleh's relationship with him is too easy to pass up.

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
If they draft Z Wilson and he busts like Darnold the team is screwed. I'm a little concerned about Z's easy schedule, it's a bit like playing the Buffalo Sabres all the time-big stats. The only safe thing to do at QB is get R Wilson or Watson. Watson might be too pricey. I have absolutely no idea what will happen.

He played a harder schedule than Mahomes or Josh Allen ever did

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I'd like to see the Jets bring back Flacco.

Whoever the #1 QB ends up being, Joe is a reliable backup and mentor. Not a great fit in LaFleur's offense but hopefully he won't play much.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
He played a harder schedule than Mahomes or Josh Allen ever did

Navy - Troy - LA Tech - UTSA - Houston - Texas St. -Western Kentucky - Boise St. - North Alabama - Coastal Carolina - San Diego St. - UCF

Stephen F. Austin - Arizona St. - LA Tech - Kansas - Kansas St. - WVU - Oklahoma - TCU - Texas - OK St. - Iowa St. - Baylor

You really think the defenses and players on the top row are better than the bottom?

Best team is who - Boise, Coastal or Navy? vs Oklahoma?

I'm with you on Wilson having a harder schedule than Josh Allen.

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Navy - Troy - LA Tech - UTSA - Houston - Texas St. -Western Kentucky - Boise St. - North Alabama - Coastal Carolina - San Diego St. - UCF

Stephen F. Austin - Arizona St. - LA Tech - Kansas - Kansas St. - WVU - Oklahoma - TCU - Texas - OK St. - Iowa St. - Baylor

You really think the defenses and players on the top row are better than the bottom?

Best team is who - Boise, Coastal or Navy? vs Oklahoma?

I'm with you on Wilson having a harder schedule than Josh Allen.

I think accuracy, arm angle and being able to throw outside of the pocket is a recipe for success in this new NFL. I am a huge Darnold guy. But believe me...and it kills me....Wilson is probably the future. Then can run RPO with him all day.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I think accuracy, arm angle and being able to throw outside of the pocket is a recipe for success in this new NFL. I am a huge Darnold guy. But believe me...and it kills me....Wilson is probably the future. Then can run RPO with him all day.

I'm with you there, Wilson's attributes are what you are looking for in the NFL and especially in a Shanahan type offense where you can get creative. Oh and GTFO with the "he wasn't a Captain" thing. He's wasn't a Captain because he isn't a Mormon...

I'm at the point where it is Wilson at 2 or sell the farm for sure-thing in Watson, but leaning towards Wilson. If he sucks we're where we are now but with another two 1st rounders next year and you pull a Cardinals move and draft Kyler even though you drafted Rosen the year prior. (And hey if Russell Wilson leaves Seattle their first might be higher than originally thought - suck it Jamal)

I'm just not onboard with Wilson playing a harder schedule in college than Mahomes in the Big 12. ;)

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Solid moves for the Jets, would still like to see a veteran CB and OL.

Wonder if they go for another WR too - Curtis Samuel or Marvin Jones Jr.
Tough call on whether they should have backed the Brinks truck up for Thuney. They clearly would have had to come well over the top of KC (even then I don't know if that would have done it - but lets assume it would have), is it worth it go up to $17m for an interior lineman? Probably not but OG has the biggest drop from 1st to next guy in this FA class - a class where the Jets have some real flexibility.

I have no idea who they target as a lineman now but maybe one of those older guys who played Tackle can move inside? The Mitchell Schwartz's or Ross Fishers of the world. Not sure if that's viable but if you want to pick up a veteran, I have no idea which way you go. It makes drafting a lineman at #23/#34 pretty much a necessity....not a good situation to be in. We lucked out getting D'Brick and Mangold when we NEEDED linemen, but that doesn't always happen.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Tough call on whether they should have backed the Brinks truck up for Thuney. They clearly would have had to come well over the top of KC (even then I don't know if that would have done it - but lets assume it would have), is it worth it go up to $17m for an interior lineman? Probably not but OG has the biggest drop from 1st to next guy in this FA class - a class where the Jets have some real flexibility.

I have no idea who they target as a lineman now but maybe one of those older guys who played Tackle can move inside? The Mitchell Schwartz's or Ross Fishers of the world. Not sure if that's viable but if you want to pick up a veteran, I have no idea which way you go. It makes drafting a lineman at #23/#34 pretty much a necessity....not a good situation to be in. We lucked out getting D'Brick and Mangold when we NEEDED linemen, but that doesn't always happen.

Available OL UFA's:
Trent Williams - high price
David Andrews - possibility
Russell Okung - possibility
Alejandro Villanueva - doubt it
Kelechi Osemele - not gonna happen again
Alex Mack - he'll go to a contender
Trai Turner - possibility

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Available OL UFA's:
Trent Williams - high price
David Andrews - possibility
Russell Okung - possibility
Alejandro Villanueva - doubt it
Kelechi Osemele - not gonna happen again
Alex Mack - he'll go to a contender
Trai Turner - possibility
Does anyone on that list scream "Upgrade" at Guard? Andrews (and Mack) is a Center (why would he sign in FA at Guard). Trai Turner is a short term possibility, I guess, if the plan is to draft several lineman in May. Just sucks that there was really no one in the "above average" but not elite category that would fit the bill. They haven't released Lewis or Van Roten yet - maybe they still have some faith in those guys in a different system?

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Does anyone on that list scream "Upgrade" at Guard? Andrews (and Mack) is a Center (why would he sign in FA at Guard). Trai Turner is a short term possibility, I guess, if the plan is to draft several lineman in May. Just sucks that there was really no one in the "above average" but not elite category that would fit the bill. They haven't released Lewis or Van Roten yet - maybe they still have some faith in those guys in a different system?

To answer your first question - none.

Your second question - perhaps. All we keep hearing is about how the Shanahan zone blocking scheme doesn't require the cream of the crop linemen or running backs to be successful. We gotta wait to find out if that's true or not...

crasherino

May 9, 2013
To answer your first question - none.

Your second question - perhaps. All we keep hearing is about how the Shanahan zone blocking scheme doesn't require the cream of the crop linemen or running backs to be successful. We gotta wait to find out if that's true or not...
There will also be a whole lotta cuts coming in the next few weeks as teams have to get their cap in order. Hopefully someone juicy falls into our lap. JD seems to have the requisite patience for the job - something us fans don't have much of.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Second masseuse sues Watson!

"In the suit, the woman says Watson then kept directing her to his anus and genitals..."

giphy.gif

Reactions: danteipp

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
After a slow start, the NY Giants have filled several big holes in free agency:

- Golladay is the new WR1, who is a beast on contested catches and should be the missing weapon to find out if Daniel Jones is a franchise QB or if the Giants need to keep looking (a bit of an overpay, but he fills a dire need);

- Locking up Leonard Williams, who is another short-term overpay, but I like the rotation of LW, Dex Star, B.J. Hill, Austin Johnson (who will slide into Dalvin's role as a run stuffer on the cheap);

- I am interested in the two under-the-radar signings at Edge/LB the Giants have brought in with Reggie Ragland and Ifeadi Odenigbo, to add to their current rotation. Plus Devante Downs is gone and hopefully Tae Crowder follows him out the door soon;

- Devontae Booker is an ideal backup for Barkley, consolidating the Gallman and Dion Lewis' roles;

- Glennon is a solid backup QB, although I hope to never see him on the field;

- John Ross and Dante Pettis should make for spirited WR4 and WR5 competition alongside Austin Mack and C.J. Board, with Golladay, Shepard and Slayton as the top-3;

- Kyle Rudolph might make Stone Hands Engram expendable; and

- Hopefully the Giants can land Adoree' Jackson as the CB2. He is young, fast and has untapped potential.

All of that should allow the Giants to go BPA at #11. Right now, Rashawn Slater (who can play anywhere on the oline), Pitts (who will probably be gone), Parsons or either Farley or Surtain, would be big additions and fill another need.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Sheldon Rankins is a worthwhile, low-risk but high-reward gamble for the Jets.

I was a big fan of Rankins in his draft year. I was hoping the Giants would take him, instead of Eli "Momma's Boy" Apple, once the Giants got scooped on Conklin and Floyd.

Since it was clear Reese, Ross and co. didn't do their proper DD and were scared off by the video released on Tunsil just before the draft began, although they should have still made the pick and dealt with it later, yet didn't thoroughly vette Apple either.

Rankins has significant upside, if he is healthy, and the contract sounds like it is incentive heavy, so it shouldn't be an issue if the injuries have taken their toll and Rankins cannot get back to the player he was prior.

Good add by the Jets.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Massive haul for the Fins for the 3rd pick.

As a Jets fan, I didn't think they'd get that much if they flipped the 2nd OA pick. One would think the 49ers gave the Jets the same offer and the Jets said no.

Makes me think the Jets are taking Wilson with the 2nd pick.

Reactions: danteipp

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

As a Jets fan, I didn't think they'd get that much if they flipped the 2nd OA pick. One would think the 49ers gave the Jets the same offer and the Jets said no.

Perhaps 'Phins are going to flip all the picks for Watson?

Jets are definitely taking Wilson.

Reactions: The Real JT

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005

As a Giants fan, I am loving this.

The Fins boned the Eagles hard, who were clearly hoping for Wilson as the priority (probably going to the Jets), then maybe Lance (49ers target?), and got screwed. No way Howie could give up multiple firsts with that team and his self-inflicted cap situation, lol.

Then the Fins convinced the Eagles to move out of #6, which should put them out of the elite WR/TE range, in either Chase or Pitts, and maybe even miss out on the top-2 CBs, which they desperately need.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Perhaps 'Phins are going to flip all the picks for Watson?

Jets are definitely taking Wilson.

Can you really roll the dice on Watson right now, with so many unknowns?

Better to wait it out and, if Tua has just a decent season, he increases his value and you still have the young player you take at #6 and can always move a couple firsts in the next draft.

If it was me, I would wait and see if some of the heat on Watson dissipates and maybe, by then, Houston is more flexible in a trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad