OT: The Football Thread

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Treadwell had a bad lower leg / ankle / foot injury in one of the last games of his college career and didn’t look the same since. I was a big fan too, but that could’ve been it.

I don't know if it was the injury, maturity issues, a bad fit, or a little of everything. All I know is that in college he had such strong hands and just ripped the ball away from defenders. I figured that would translate well and he would just be able to outmuscle smaller DBs.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
any jets fans losing their piss over this game should be ashamed. you knew they weren't gonna be good against someone hungry for redemption. They did have good moments at least and i feel more confident going forward. just fix the damn line

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
any jets fans losing their piss over this game should be ashamed. you knew they weren't gonna be good against someone hungry for redemption. They did have good moments at least and i feel more confident going forward. just fix the damn line

Zack Wilson looked great today. Going into next season with the understanding that Zack Wilson is a franchise QB is what the true goal of this season is. Anything else is just gravy.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Zack Wilson looked great today. Going into next season with the understanding that Zack Wilson is a franchise QB is what the true goal of this season is. Anything else is just gravy.
no no theres already morons who think wilsons toast because of the line. this team has a QB and a coach still. i trust douglas in the end to get this team back to contention

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

Being able to watch the game in person, I was really impressed by Wilson. On their scoring drive, the 3rd down throw out of his own end zone and the step up in the pocket throw down the sideline were big dick plays.

He had no o-line help, no running game and receivers dropping the ball all over the place. Despite that, they were able to re-group at halftime and make the game competitive.

I trust in the trio of Douglas, Saleh and Wilson. Next draft better be all OL and Corners.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Being able to watch the game in person, I was really impressed by Wilson. On their scoring drive, the 3rd down throw out of his own end zone and the step up in the pocket throw down the sideline were big dick plays.

He had no o-line help, no running game and receivers dropping the ball all over the place. Despite that, they were able to re-group at halftime and make the game competitive.

He's got an incredibly smooth release, and plenty of competitiveness. He needs to get better at self-preservation!

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Liked what I saw from Zach Wilson but if Becton is out for the season it might get ugly out there.

Like most years as a Jets' fan I'm looking forward to more quality time with the family once November rolls around.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Liked what I saw from Zach Wilson but if Becton is out for the season it might get ugly out there.

Like most years as a Jets' fan I'm looking forward to more quality time with the family once November rolls around.

True, but luckily that Morgan Moses signing allows them some flexibility by sliding him to LT. Not an ideal situation but the dude does have 104 NFL games under his belt.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Next draft better be all OL and Corners.
I think OL and at least more parts to the secondary, alongside TE and maybe another RB if needed. They badly need some help on the line but that comes with learning. I'll wait until week 7 when we can fully judge a line+team as well

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
The Giants problems start with too many Mara's in the front office, constant meddling and cronyism. I assume John and Chris Mara would be unemployable, if based on merit and not inheritance. Unfortunately, the Tisch's seem to be just interested in the business side, making money and cashing out on whatever they can by using the Giants as a piggy bank.

The fact that the Giants cannot build a cohesive o-line is laughable at this point.

Since 2018, they have opted to go with journeyman Jon Halapio (who's starting potential was over after the lower body injuries), and now Nick Gates (who probably could be a solid RG or even RT, if given the chance), in the role of starting center. Trying to move a career RG/RT to C and have him learn on the job, at the NFL level, is simply insane.

Finding a viable center shouldn't be that hard. It is a key spot, yet also one of the easier roles to fill, if you are just willing to invest in the position with either draft capital or in free agency. Yet the Giants keep trying to build a foundation on a faulty cornerstone, which causes problems with each succeeding spot.

Add in that Will Hernandez is a moron who couldn't pull at LG and botched communications next to both Solder and then Thomas at LT, forcing Hernandez's move to RG, plus the idea of constantly rotating lineman, so they can't build a rhythm, is pathetic.

Shane Lemieux reportedly has a partially-torn patellar tendon. He seemingly can't play a full game and isn't good enough to play hobbled. He should simply be shut down and replaced until he is healthy enough to go.

The Giants have some interesting parts, but you just can't construct a team the way they have. It is like building around LWs and LHDs in hockey, as opposed to from the goal out and down the middle.

I could dissect their issues for hours, but it begins with bad ownership and the front office's faulty roster construction.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Damn, my Broncos slapped the shit out of the Giants today.

and that Mark Schlereth doing the color commentary on FOX 5 New York was absolutely brutal . I wrote some bad things and just erased them . Hope to never see or should I say hear him again

Reactions: PWJunior

Lights911

Dec 5, 2017
Long Island
no no theres already morons who think wilsons toast because of the line. this team has a QB and a coach still. i trust douglas in the end to get this team back to contention
I’m beginning to have trouble trusting Douglas when in his 3rd year as general manager the offensive line isn’t even league average.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
I’m beginning to have trouble trusting Douglas when in his 3rd year as general manager the offensive line isn’t even league average.

I agree with this sentiment. Wilson looks great but expect he will be on IR soon. How can you bring in a franchise QB and not invest in an offensive line?

It is setting up to be a disaster starting with the f-ing Patriots defense this week. Fingers crossed Wilson is still upright after Sunday but wouldn’t bet on it.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

Saying it is his 3rd year is not entirely true, as he was hired in June of 2019 so he had to inherit Maccagnan's 2019 offseason.

Which is insane to even think about...they were thinking of firing Maccagnan and left him draft anyway. So f***ing stupid.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Can we wait until the entire year is finished?

Surely we will but no offensive line, no running game, no serious pass rush. I see Douglas already took ownership of his Robby Anderson debacle.

Early returns on this GM do not look good.

The Jets need to find a way to run the ball and protect this QB before he gets hurt. There are not many options.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Surely we will but no offensive line, no running game, no serious pass rush. I see Douglas already took ownership of his Robby Anderson debacle.

Early returns on this GM do not look good.

The Jets need to find a way to run the ball and protect this QB before he gets hurt. There are not many options.
you know why they lost robbie right? Not because of him, but because of the coach who was there. I believe in this team turning it around, but it will be bumpy. This is the bumpy year

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Lots of Giants and Jets fans in here I assume. Both have every right to be frustrated.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Lots of Giants and Jets fans in here I assume. Both have every right to be frustrated.
i'm more frustrated that there are fans who expected them to be good off the bat. Jets will be in pain this season, that isn't out of the question. I'm more upset at pundits like UT shitting on the jets even though everyone has been injured to death as well (Looking directly at you baltimore)

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
i'm more frustrated that there are fans who expected them to be good off the bat. Jets will be in pain this season, that isn't out of the question. I'm more upset at pundits like UT shitting on the jets even though everyone has been injured to death as well (Looking directly at you baltimore)

Actually I was looking with more of a macro lens. Forget this season...I think the pain will be real for a long time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad