The Flying V Uniforms: Explaining Their Design.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
I would acutally love to see a variation of the V back in to the Canucks uniform, they look very intimidating on the ice. Reminds of San Jose Sharks current black jerseys, boy do they look like a massive team in those jerseys.

I already did this in the thread, but here, you can be the first person to view my official Flying V presentation examining what went wrong and how the outfit can be fixed.

I for one think it's salvageable, and with today's Reebok Edge fits, would instantly look better than it originally did.

I'm not sure if I still feel that the black outfit is an abomination. It too, may be fixable.

Last edited:

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I already did this in the thread, but here, you can be the first person to view my official Flying V presentation examining what went wrong and how the outfit can be fixed.

I for one think it's salvageable, and with today's Reebok Edge fits, would instantly look better than it originally did.

I'm not sure if I still feel that the black outfit is an abomination. It too, may be fixable.

That was good work man. Still don't know if I'd like the overall aesthetic, but several NHL teams have put out (multiple) worse third jerseys than the one you've proposed.

Labamba

Too Much 4 CDC
Feb 26, 2013
Shuswap
I think it would be cool to bring them out for a Halloween game or something, have some fun with it. Maybe liven up the stail Vancouver crowd.

Reactions: Luckylarry

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC

Nice work! I have one of each, and wear them with retro goalie pads and black pants and socks. They look SO much better that way!

I still maintain that if the Canucks had just stuck with their original uniforms, widened the stick in the logo a little more to create an actual "C", and then just LEFT THEM THE HELL alone, they'd be one of the most iconic brands in sports. Everything Mr. Design Guru said back then is wrong when applied to a hockey uni.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
Nice work! I have one of each, and wear them with retro goalie pads and black pants and socks. They look SO much better that way!

I still maintain that if the Canucks had just stuck with their original uniforms, widened the stick in the logo a little more to create an actual "C", and then just LEFT THEM THE HELL alone, they'd be one of the most iconic brands in sports. Everything Mr. Design Guru said back then is wrong when applied to a hockey uni.

Well it was the 70's.

Regarding design in general, in any era there's always the option of going "modern" or "timeless". The constant battle that will forever be fought.

VanCity15

Apr 8, 2013
Vancouver, BC
They shouldn't have been made to wear yellow helmets. Black helmets would have looked much, much better.

Fraser_Curt_InArchive_Credi_slide.jpg
zYgKd6s.jpg

Here's a few more changes which would have made the uniform look less goofy:

uoyyy80.jpg

I couldn't disagree more. Yellow was the Canucks' home/light colour like white is to most of the other light uniforms. Yellow jerseys need yellow helmets like white jerseys need white helmets. Yellow uniforms add variety to light-coloured uniforms. So glad that Nashville finally wears yellow helmets with their yellow uniforms. They just need to wear them on the road and have a matching navy set at home.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Canuck colors: trick or treat?
Taylor, Jim. The Globe and Mail [Toronto, Ont] 30 Aug 1978: P.29.

Reports that the Canucks might ditch their green, blue and white uniforms have been circulating for months. Most thought they'd follow tradition and change the blue to red. But no, the new look is red-orange, yellow, and black... They hired a U.S. communications counselling firm to find out what was wrong with their old image and come up with a new one, something that would make the customers forget the ghosts of disasters past. For only $100,000 they got their answer... Monday morning... I phoned Bill Boyd of Beyl and Boyd, the San Francisco firm responsible for the new look.

What's this all about?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
when i was in elementary school the blazers shirts and stickers were really popular for a couple of years. more so than the old blue canucks stuff.

i actually remember the articles about the supposed psychology of the new colours when the flying v came out, when i would have been just going into high school. as i recall we all thought they looked terrible and were nostalgic for the old blue jerseys almost right away. the flying v when current was a bit embarrassing and never popular that i recall and vanished fast when the new uniform came out. i had a flying v practice jersey i picked up at a thrift store and used to wear to pick up games in the early 1990s, and i can recall it got a lot of comments about being retro or ironic even though it was only a few years old at the time.

when the new uniforms came out in the late 80s they were criticized at first as being a copy of the bruins. but they were well done and symbolized the team getting good at last and so they sold really well.

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
I like the orange/yellow/black palette. It made the Canucks stand out. Isn't a jersey supposed to stand out?

I wear the eco-friendly royal blue/green jersey on Dundas and Yonge in Toronto, and the locals just assume I am one of them. I wear a bright yellow/orange flying V in Toronto, and people take notice.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
All you need to do to “understand” them is look at some other professional uniforms of the time... the Houston Astros for instance.

nolanryanhoustonastrosrainbowjersey.jpg

Last edited:

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
I remember clear as day reading that article about how black was going to intimidate the rest of the league. Laughed then, still laughing now.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
I don't know how anyone in their right mind could think the Flying V jerseys look good but alas..

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
They're retro-kitsch. People enjoy weird goofy Canadiana crap from the late 20th century. People like me........

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
The flying V jerseys are my all-time favorite. I know a lot of people absolutely hated them, but they were unique.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad