Confirmed with Link: The Flyers use a compliance buyout on Ilya Bryzgalov's contract (updates in post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Carter and Richards were successful with the Flyers. It's not like their play elevated whent they went to LA. They won a cup because they played on a more complete team (Quick didn't need a hip replacement). If anything Richards play has leveled off at best production-wise. Carter still had his personal best season with the Flyers, as well.

I'm not disagreeing with moving them..I was one of the biggest proponents before the trades even went down..at least with Carter... just saying that the both of them moving on and doing well elsewhere (winning a cup) was not good PR for the Flyers even if it was a skewed perception. Bob's accomplishments elsewhere and the bad PR on that is probably more merited...but according to some jury is still out on that since it was only a half season.

funghoul

Pejorative Sluro montalbon
Jul 14, 2010
upper drugs
I never see people saying Bob failed or blame Reese for his play. Bob was fine but fell victim to the Flyers tying themselves to Bryz financially.

How can you blame Reese for Bryz ducking from pucks or just not making any momentum changing saves? I think Bryz lost his fire with the big pay day and may have incentive to play again. I would like to see how Reese does with Mason before passing judgement on his status as the coach.

Then your not reading the posts cause that's all i've been saying. I am (partially) blaming reese for his play. I think bob was a really good goalie but had the same consistency problems bryzgalov had. I am looking at the whole team and speculating. Obviously nothing is fact besides bryzgalov's contract sucking. I'm just venting because i am going to be annually upset if bobrovsky continues to excel and win more vezinas, especially on that team of his. I'm sort of making a point about how the flyers make crazy decisions and then just move on like oh well. and so seems do the fans. I feel like the team has a collective case of A D D.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
On Reese, Bryzgalov and Granqvist

Not sure if posted elsewhere.....Meltzer's contention that Bryz should have been traded earlier was my point as well. Holmgren and Co. shouldn't have doubled down on him after his first season. We lost Bob and missed the playoffs because we did so....

I'm saying the same thing about Lavi....should have been given his walking papers this offseason along with Bryz. Unfortunately, in both cases management had to save face....and simply delayed the inevitable....at a cost.

I just think that Bryzgalov is going to be Bryzgalov, for better and for worse, regardless of who his goaltending coach is. There has been an implication that Reese tried to tinker too much with Bryzgalov's playing style. Reese is, by all accounts, a hands-on type of goalie coach, but pupils such as Ray Emery and even Sergei Bobrovsky did not seem to mind.

It's not like Bryzgalov was lights out in the playoffs for the Coyotes nor did he endear himself to Coyotes teammates (at least if Derek Morris and Adrian Aucoin were shooting straight in public comments after the goalie's departure) any more than he subsequently did in Philly. The goalie allegedly has a long-time locker room reputation for openly blaming teammates, especially his defensemen, when opposing teams scored goals against him. Then again, Bryz has also been known to literally embrace a teammate who bailed him out after one of his own mistakes, as Bryzgalov memorably did this past season when he threw his arms around Nicklas Grossmann in a bearhug after the big Swede blocked a shot with Bryzgalov caught far out of the net.

To whatever degree that Bryzgalov alienated teammates in Philly and (reportedly) disliked playing for Peter Laviolette, Reese or any goalie coach was powerless to change those relationships. If Bryzgalov truly felt Reese was tinkering too much with his style, it was as much his responsibility as the coach's to communicate that and find a more productive way to work together.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill...Bryzgalov-and-Granqvist/45/53297#.UghViOCWB8s

Last edited:

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I disagree with meltzer. reese sucks.

I have my doubts about him too...but it's a specious argument of sorts. I don't know the day to day with him. We'll see if the supposed burgeoning love affair between him and Mason results in anything. As far as Emery..have a feeling Reese's hands on style is not something Razor is actually as open too as Meltzer suggests but Emery can back it up unlike Bryz. That's the difference with Bob and Emery..they can take Reese's input but they are autonomous enough to do their own thing if need be and be sucessful.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I've expressed my doubts about Reese in the past as well, but the level of blame Bryz and his agent have been placing on him reeks of desperate after-the-fact image repair.

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I've expressed my doubts about Reese in the past as well, but the level of blame Bryz and his agent have been placing on him reeks of desperate after-the-fact image repair.

Yeah I don't really know what Bryz and his agent are thinking by enagaging in this blame game. I don't see how it helps their cause. We'll see if this latest Granqvist PR ploy lands Bryz an NHL job and renewed success.....I doubt it. I still think Bryz doesn't have the motivation. His family, dog, tantric peace or whatever seems to be the main focus which is fine if you view what you do as simply a job. I think he is at that stage in his profession as a goalie.....just a job.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yeah I don't really know what Bryz and his agent are thinking by enagaging in this blame game. I don't see how it helps their cause. We'll see if this latest Granqvist PR ploy lands Bryz an NHL job and renewed success.....I doubt it. I still think Bryz doesn't have the motivation. His family, dog, tantric peace or whatever seems to be the main focus which is fine if you view what you do as simply a job. I think he is at that stage in his profession as a goalie.....just a job.

Yeah, I don't see how it makes them look better. They're saying "oh, it's the goalie coach and Lavi." It's also incredibly easy to interpret that as "Oh, so you had strained relations with several coaches?"

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Yeah, I don't see how it makes them look better. They're saying "oh, it's the goalie coach and Lavi." It's also incredibly easy to interpret that as "Oh, so you had strained relations with several coaches?"

Exactly....

I bet Bryz and his agent just used some of those millions that they walked away with thanks to Snider and paid Granqvist to make those remarks about basically saying Bryz is now "fixed"...:laugh:

funghoul

Jul 14, 2010
upper drugs

Ah they were just defending themselves. I'm sure Jeff Reese did have a lot of input into both situations (Bryz and bob) and the way they were handled. And both were handled like crap. And I don't like Lavi anymore either so they didn't say anything that offended me. I don't think their cause could be any more damaged then it was walking out of here so they just didn't care.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Sure Bob was handled like crap. Bryz wasn't. That guy straight-up self destructed. There was probably no "correct" way to handle him short of buyout.

funghoul

Jul 14, 2010
upper drugs
Sure Bob was handled like crap. Bryz wasn't. That guy straight-up self destructed. There was probably no "correct" way to handle him short of buyout.

Well. We shall see if things are that easy. Just because they fixed a perceived mistake doesn't mean there was any change in philosophy on the way this team is built and run. I hope your right tho, cause i really like them playoffs.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
For all those that are interested in knowing, my friend went down to the Wranglers' tryout today (i live in Las Vegas) and according to him everyone in the tryout was working their tail off, while Bryzgalov kind of moseyed around.

He doesn't believe he'll make the team.

Just an interesting tidbit

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
For all those that are interested in knowing, my friend went down to the Wranglers' tryout today (i live in Las Vegas) and according to him everyone in the tryout was working their tail off, while Bryzgalov kind of moseyed around.

He doesn't believe he'll make the team.

Just an interesting tidbit

It's from my understanding that the try-out was really only so Bryz could actually practice with a team & stay in shape. I don't think he really intends on playing on the team this year. At least that's the way Bob MacKenzie made it sound.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
It's from my understanding that the try-out was really only so Bryz could actually practice with a team & stay in shape. I don't think he really intends on playing on the team this year. At least that's the way Bob MacKenzie made it sound.

Darn, i was actually hoping he'd make the team. It would give me the incentive needed to catch some wrangler games.

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
irony of ironies ....

Bob - home
Emery - home
Mason - home
Bry - wins game 7 in emergency role & advances in the playoffs ...

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
He made one save...

He choked away game one and was pulled for the series in game two. At least he'll be utterly annihilated if he starts against the Hawks.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
irony of ironies ....

Bob - home
Emery - home
Mason - home
Bry - wins game 7 in emergency role & advances in the playoffs ...

Fortunately enough for Minnesota they controlled the play enough last night when he entered the game & only limited Colorado to 1 shot otherwise Bryz would have found a way to finish what he started by ruining the series for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad