News Article: The Flyers need to scratch Andrew MacDonald after another disastrous performance

StandingCow

May 15, 2010

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Saw this posted over on reddit, couldn't agree more.

http://sonsofpenn.com/flyers/andrew-macdonald-breakdown-bad-turnovers-coyotes-loss/

It's a small sample size but this especially stood out: "To take a deeper look in the stats, Gostisbehere has played 99 minutes with MacDonald, and 27 minutes without him. Gostisbehere has a 46.24% corsi for with MacDonald, and a 61.22% corsi for without MacDonald so far this season."

I'm continually impressed with Sons of Penn. They see what we see. Hopefully our coaching staff does too.

smokey

Oct 24, 2016
Helsinki
Do you really need to go as far as to analyze Ghosts CF% to see what a liability MacD is to the team? So far I haven't seen him do a single smart thing on the ice. I'm thinking, what are the expectations for MacD anyway? His best season was back in 2010-2011, is that the level they'd wish him to return to after many years of trying or is he just a roster filler because there's ABSOLUTELY no one else you could dress?

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Do you really need to go as far as to analyze Ghosts CF% to see what a liability MacD is to the team? So far I haven't seen him do a single smart thing on the ice. I'm thinking, what are the expectations for MacD anyway? His best season was back in 2010-2011, is that the level they'd wish him to return to after many years of trying or is he just a roster filler because there's ABSOLUTELY no one else you could dress?

If he gets sent down to the AHL, maybe he should play on the bottom pair and focus on making simple plays and distributing the puck quickly. If he shows he's able to start handling the puck more efficiently maybe he can play on the bottom pair in Philadelphia. Not sure if this makes sense, so feel free to call me out if it doesn't.

AMac looks completely lost on the ice possibly due to extreme lack of confidence and pressure to show some above average ability on the ice. He does have a lot experience and he's not so far removed from being an average bottom pair D that he's unsalvageable. At least, that's what I'd like to think...

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
and subsequently signed him to a six-year, $30 million contract extension through the 2020 season.

Ehh. Reading this still makes my stomach cramp up. The money tied up by him and Streit right now is a real albatross, but we knew it would look like that for another season or two.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Say whatever about his language and other meaningless stuff but his article is on point. I don't even think Pronger/Lidstrom/Orr could make McDonald look like Ryan Suter. It is absolutely absurd how much this guy sucks. What the hell was that pass to Duclair, I mean he could have just slung the puck about anywhere else and it would have been a better decision. People can say whatever about Ghost in the defensive zone but McDonald continually allows the offense to walk into the zone and allows them to cycle the puck. At this point I think VV could be a better defender.

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
I haven't been able to watch as much hockey as I want to so far this season and have been a fence sitter on Amac in years past hoping for the best but every time I watch a game he is destroying the Flyers chance of productivity and winning. This guy is brutal to the highest degree. There is absolutely no facet of his game that you can point to and state "well, atleast he is okay at this"

Last edited:

smokey

Oct 24, 2016
Helsinki
Dunno how many here share this view, but with just about any D man being an improvement over Amac, I would've claimed McIlrath. Maybe it's just fondly remembering play-by-play James Gallo become a raging lunatic every time McIlrath had a fight in Moose Jaw, but I think he could develop into a reliable bottom pairing D. Ok, so he'll prolly never going to live up to his 10th overall draft pos but Amac and dead bird.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad