The Flyers Going Forward

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Saying we end up having a bad season. Where do you this team going in the future? Do we rebuild or reload this off-season? If we go with a rebuild how long do you think it will take for us to competitive again?

I'm curious to see this fan base's opinions on this matter if it were to happen.

Last edited:

CootaRoo

Oct 18, 2012
We let the 40+% of our forward corps that is going through an inevitable Sophmore slump come out of it for next season.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
We let the 40+% of our forward corps that is going through an inevitable Sophmore slump come out of it for next season.

Yup. Have a lot of young guys that will be better. If we do tank this year we can unload timonen briere and voracek for at least a first each. That's 4 firsts in a deep draft. I'd prefer that to a first round exit any day

fibonacci*

This team stinks. Homer needs to draft his way out of this the next few years with solid defense picks. The Isles are dangerously close to being better now.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
What we want to happen or what will happen? What will most likely happen are pretty big changes. You wont see the same forwards and wouldnt be surprised if a few are gone. Like Voracek. Wouldnt be surprised if he is traded. Briere also. Honestly, MAYBE B. Schenn. Not that I want him traded but it's one of those players that Homer trades.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yup. Have a lot of young guys that will be better. If we do tank this year we can unload timonen briere and voracek for at least a first each. That's 4 firsts in a deep draft. I'd prefer that to a first round exit any day

As bad as voracek has been I still wouldn't move him just yet. I think timonen would be the most likely to get moved at the deadline. With being his final year in his contract the Flyers could retain some of his cap hit. Doing that could potentially add some teams that are close up to the cap which could drive up his value if he was to get moved.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Even if that were to come true, that is "maybe" help in 3 years. It would be nicer to trade for a more "now" asset.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
The guy hates building through the draft even though it's a strength of his and the scouts here.
Don't really know if that's true.

I think he thought they were close in 2008 and cashed in with a hof defenseman to try to win. If we won in 2010...i guess we could say it was all worth it.

Without that cup win, the pronger trade was just awful for this franchise, it was a loss of 3 firsts basically...too much. It didn't help compounding that with Versteeg, who we bought high and sold low. And emminger, but he turned that into Carle.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I would imagine it would be like the offseason after 2007. Holmgren will bring in some veterans like Iginla and Streit to reduce the roll of the young guys. I could also see Voracek or Read moved for some defensive help and possibly Mezz too, since he has been unreliable with injuries the last 2 years.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Don't really know if that's true.

I think he thought they were close in 2008 and cashed in with a hof defenseman to try to win. If we won in 2010...i guess we could say it was all worth it.

Without that cup win, the pronger trade was just awful for this franchise, it was a loss of 3 firsts basically...too much. It didn't help compounding that with Versteeg, who we bought high and sold low. And emminger, but he turned that into Carle.

I'm not disagreeing with you. But with the new CBA homer's going to have to learn to be a little more patient and not throw around draft picks like they're nothing anymore. The guy his good eye for talent ever since he was the head scout and now gm I believe every 1st round the Flyers have selected have played in the NHL. If this year goes south I hope homer just try's to build around a younger players and not go crazy again.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
I'm not disagreeing with you. But with the new CBA homer's going to have to learn to be a little more patient and not throw around draft picks like they're nothing anymore. The guy his good eye for talent ever since he was the head scout and now gm I believe every 1st round the Flyers have selected have played in the NHL. If this year goes south I hope homer just try's to build around a younger players and not go crazy again.
I think thats what the non impulsive of us are hoping happens...

IMO, regardless of where we are, were I GM, 44 is gone at the deadline, and I love that guy. I hate that he's leaving (soon). I'd try hard to sell off 48 too.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I think thats what the non impulsive of us are hoping happens...

IMO, regardless of where we are, were I GM, 44 is gone at the deadline, and I love that guy. I hate that he's leaving (soon). I'd try hard to sell off 48 too.

I could see timonen doing us and himself a favor by waiving his NTC. I think he could fetch us a nice return. I like Briere just as much timonen but I want to move his contract badly. I would take a lesser deal to move him if he was willing.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
I could see timonen doing us and himself a favor by waiving his NTC. I think he could fetch us a nice return. I like Briere just as much timonen but I want to move his contract badly. I would take a lesser deal to move him if he was willing.
yea...I'm not sure how much his contract is really preventing us from doing much right now.

We will probably be all in on Perry in the summer...because its us.

toughfighter83*

i dont trust homer with the draft because he had defense players in two drafts and he passed them up, he'll probably do it in this draft if he's still the gm, that's why i hope homer gets fired, his drafting and trades are mind blogging.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
yea...I'm not sure how much his contract is really preventing us from doing much right now.

We will probably be all in on Perry in the summer...because its us.

If the season goes to hell. I'm just hoping homer and snider just chalk it up as a loss with the short season. Get some draft picks/prospects and shed some salary for the future at the deadline. With snider getting impatient now a days you never know what will happen though.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
i dont trust homer with the draft because he had defense players in two drafts and he passed them up, he'll probably do it in this draft if he's still the gm, that's why i hope homer gets fired, his drafting and trades are mind blogging.

I wouldn't say his drafting is terrible. Couturier and Laughton are looking to be good picks. He would have been an idiot if he passed up couturier 2 years. You always take BPA and that was couturier. As for Laughton ill give you that one I wanted maata also but I can't complain Laughton's look to be a pretty good pick so far.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
I wouldn't say his drafting is terrible. I wanted maata too but Laughton's looking to be a pretty good pick at moment.
His drafting has been better than anybody, considering how many picks he has had available.

They can draft another forward 1st over all if they think hes the bpa, i'm fine with that. Its always better to draft bpa.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
His drafting has been better than anybody, considering how many picks he has had available.

They can draft another forward 1st over all if they think hes the bpa, i'm fine with that. Its always better to draft bpa.

There's other things you can rip him for but I feel like drafting isn't one of them. The last 2 drafts we basically had a full deck when it came draft picks and we're hearing a lot of good things so far on a lot of those prospects we selected.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Yea I think so. Put up a lot pts last year. Still very young and signed. Don't think the rest of the league knows that this is prob it for him and he may never put it all together. Late first rounder I think would work.

put what together? he's already a 50pt guy. you don't just trade them away cause he had a few bad games. this offseason everyone was saying how he'll be at least a 60pt guy with the right line mates in a couple years then 8 games later, while the whole team is struggling, he'll never put it together or improve and should be moved. he's 23 years old for heavens sake. if jake is moved for veteran help of any kind or for draft picks Homer needs to be fired. the idea that anyone could even agree with this is mind-boggling.

fibonacci*

You hold on to Voracek. Look at how long it took Sam Gagner to get the right linemates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad