Post-Series Talk: The Florida Panthers (A1) defeat the Tampa Bay Lightning (WC1) 4 games to 1

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Let’s look at these teams in question….VGK and TB have both been to multiple SCF, both elite contenders for a 5+ year stretch. Incredible work by both front offices to build consistency, always being a threat come playoff time…..we really gonna act like the reason they achieved success was because of cap circumventing?? What about all those other years they were also extremely good???

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
He doesn’t have the right to interfere with goalie trying to make a save.

Edit: his skate stopped Bob from grabbing and freezing the puck....how can you say he didn’t interfere with the goalie there? While in the blue paint. It was the right call
Bob made the save, the puck was loose, Duclair can play the puck. Even if you're saying Duclair's not allowed to try to play that loose puck (which I disagree with, but hypothetically) I still don't think there was enough interference to overturn the call on the ice. There was no interference on the initial shot, and there was only slight interference on Bob gathering the rebound. But the rebound was loose, and to me, Duclair is making a play on a loose puck, which should be allowed.

Basically, if Duclair's skate interferes with him making the initial save, it is interference. But Bob made the save and the puck was loose. Duclair then has the right to battle for that loose puck. Now he can't push the goalie, but he doesn't do that. He tries to push the puck with skate to his stick. Which should be allowed. And even in the case where that is not allowed, IMO it didn't rise to the level of warranting overturning a good goal.

But I'll gladly agree to disagree. I really enjoyed this series. Congrats to Florida and looking forward to seeing who they will face in round 2.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Bob made the save, the puck was loose, Duclair can play the puck. Even if you're saying Duclair's not allowed to try to play that loose puck (which I disagree with, but hypothetically) I still don't think there was enough interference to overturn the call on the ice. There was no interference on the initial shot, and there was only slight interference on Bob gathering the rebound. But the rebound was loose, and to me, Duclair is making a play on a loose puck, which should be allowed.

Basically, if Duclair's skate interferes with him making the initial save, it is interference. But Bob made the save and the puck was loose. Duclair then has the right to battle for that loose puck. Now he can't push the goalie, but he doesn't do that. He tries to push the puck with skate to his stick. Which should be allowed. And even in the case where that is not allowed, IMO it didn't rise to the level of warranting overturning a good goal.

But I'll gladly agree to disagree. I really enjoyed this series. Congrats to Florida and looking forward to seeing who they will face in round 2.
His skate interfered with him freezing the puck, which would still be part of making the first save, no?
The puck wouldn’t have been there for Cirelli to pick up and put home because it would have been under Bob’s glove and the whistle blown, Duke’s skate prevented him from getting his glove on the puck. And it all happened in the painted area where the rules favor the goalie when it comes to situations like this.
Agree to disagree and all, but the refs got it right.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
no game 1 "cure" for sergachev so i got no problem with that. tb played fair and lost in 5.
Plus he was hurt twice, once early in the season, came back for half a game and was out the rest of the year. They also announced before the series they didn't expect him at all. The fact he was willing to come back obviously diminished is a testament to his devotion to the team. They didn't game the system knowing he would be ready.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Let’s look at these teams in question….VGK and TB have both been to multiple SCF, both elite contenders for a 5+ year stretch. Incredible work by both front offices to build consistency, always being a threat come playoff time…..we really gonna act like the reason they achieved success was because of cap circumventing?? What about all those other years they were also extremely good???
Lmao, oh you mean the years they didn't win until (or unless) they were largely circumventing the cap? What is lost on you??

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
I see it differently. Duclair has a right to play that puck (which was loose). That's not interfering with making the save at all. Players don't have to move out of the goalies way to let them play a loose puck. It was a bad call and it's unfortunate. But it doesn't matter. That's on the refs. It was too bad for that game, but the Panthers earned their series win.

2nd one no question calling it back was the right call.
Watch the video and tell me Duke doesn't look down see the puck and then sweep his leg to pull Bobs glove away. Be honest man, geez, it was clear as day.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Whether we agree or not, the standard of goaltender interference has become remarkably clear and consistent in recent years:

If there is contact in the crease, it's no goal. Even if the contact is light. That's the standard that they've been using, and by that standard, both TB no-goals were clearly the correct call.

In the first case, with Duclair, the contact was very obvious. The second goal was iffier to me, but you can see there was slight contact, which is why they waived off the goal.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Watch the video and tell me Duke doesn't look down see the puck and then sweep his leg to pull Bobs glove away. Be honest man, geez, it was clear as day.

I'm not sure I agree that Duclair went out of his way to sweep Bobrovsky's glove arm. Granted, I can and do see the argument for goaltender interference on the play in general, so I understand why the goal was called back and think it was generally the right call.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
I’m really getting tired of all these losers that resort to complaining about alleged “cheating” by recent Cup champs like TB and VGK just because they used extra cap space created by injuries to key players. It’s such a loser’s take.
You like them are entitled to your opinion.

Lots of people think its a valid criticism. Should you change your opinion to match them like you think they should change for yours?

Exactly.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
I'm not sure I agree that Duclair went out of his way to sweep Bobrovsky's glove arm. Granted, I can and do see the argument for goaltender interference on the play in general, so I understand why the goal was called back and think it was generally the right call.
The puck falls between his legs, he circles the leg to the right of the puck and in the motion of trying to play it, catches Bobs glove going to the left and pulls it away. Anyone who has a video that shows anything different than this should post it.

Because thats exactly what happened.

Saying that, we can debate as to WHY he had to kick at it, as his stick was tied up, but his own actions interfered with the goalie, and if it was a penalty on Forsling the play would have been called dead as soon as Bob saved the initial shot anyways.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Plus he was hurt twice, once early in the season, came back for half a game and was out the rest of the year. They also announced before the series they didn't expect him at all. The fact he was willing to come back obviously diminished is a testament to his devotion to the team. They didn't game the system knowing he would be ready.
Anyone who saw that injury to his leg was probably as stunned as I was to hear he was going to play in game 4. Initially, after seeing that happen to him, I was wondering if he’d even be ready when next training camp starts. Nothing but respect for Sergachev.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
No one is saying that is the ONLY reason they won.

But tell us how its not a competitive advantage?

Florida was eliminated by both teams directly in both those years, so we are not "just losers" complaining about it, it affected our seasons directly.

Kucherov even made up T-Shirts about it for the parade, so lets not pretend here buddy.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
The puck falls between his legs, he circles the leg to the right of the puck and in the motion of trying to play it, catches Bobs glove going to the left and pulls it away. Anyone who has a video that shows anything different than this should post it.

Because thats exactly what happened.

Saying that, we can debate as to WHY he had to kick at it, as his stick was tied up, but his own actions interfered with the goalie, and if it was a penalty on Forsling the play would have been called dead as soon as Bob saved the initial shot anyways.

Oh, I misread your post actually. I thought you meant he was attempting to kick at Bobrovsky's glove, not that he attempted to corral the puck with his skate and caught Bobrovsky's glove in the process. In which case, I agree with all of your points.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica

Where does it say in the rulebook that only initial shots are eligible for interference calls?

The puck went the opposite direction of where he was moving his skate, it obstructed Bobs ability to smother the puck.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Oh, I misread your post actually. I thought you meant he was attempting to kick at Bobrovsky's glove, not that he attempted to corral the puck with his skate and caught Bobrovsky's glove in the process. In which case, I agree with all of your points.
I don't think it was malicious at all, he really had no other way to play the puck, but it was still interference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad