Post-Series Talk: The Florida Panthers (A1) defeat the Tampa Bay Lightning (WC1) 4 games to 1

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Or we could apply after tax dollars to the cap so everyone’s at an even playing field
sure. We can also count endorsement deals against the cap as well because we all know playing in toronto, vancouver, montreal, etc. leads to much more earnings off the ice than it does in other cities.
That first goal getting called back was mystifying to me. That seemed like a goal that should have counted, and that could have really changed the tide of game 5. In general, the games in this series were among the best in this first round. Florida just a bit better. Shame about that poor call by the refs on that 1 disallowed goal, but Florida looking very good in general.
The first goalie interference call was clear as day. Duclair's skate prevents bob from being able to reach out and cover the puck with his glove. Instead he has to make a chop at the puck with his stick.
Neutral here. No love for either team. Refs seem to have screwed TB in that last game hard. The goal looked good and a lot of missed calls on FL who is like the dirtiest team in the league behind NYR. PIMS over the year are reflective of it as well as the eye test.

TB was never winning this, but the game was called poorly in FLA's favor last night. Oh well, On to what will probably be a hungry for revenge Boston.

Look at the penalty Differential for games 2-4. 15-6 PP opporunities in favor of Tampa. Want to say the Panthers got the better officiating last night? Go for it.

Tampa got a hard carry from the refs for 3 games in this series and only managed 1 win.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Or we could apply after tax dollars to the cap so everyone’s at an even playing field

If taxes in your area are too high, elect someone who will lower them.

It’s not the NHL’s problem, nor is it actually feasible. Tax laws are very complex, and tax rates vary by individual. There would be no way for the NHL to even know a player’s post-tax earnings ahead of time.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
That first goal getting called back was mystifying to me. That seemed like a goal that should have counted, and that could have really changed the tide of game 5. In general, the games in this series were among the best in this first round. Florida just a bit better. Shame about that poor call by the refs on that 1 disallowed goal, but Florida looking very good in general.
Reminds me of the Penguins game against the Predators at the end of the regular season 2 goals pulled back similar logic as well on the incidental

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Lat 20 years Pens and Bolts have been the best teams. Both are now heading down as they age and pay the price for trying to win it all. Bolts have talent but can't keep selling the future for now. Eventually the future is now.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
If taxes in your area are too high, elect someone who will lower them.

It’s not the NHL’s problem, nor is it actually feasible. Tax laws are very complex, and tax rates vary by individual. There would be no way for the NHL to even know a player’s post-tax earnings ahead of time.
Leafs fan complaining about disadvantages when they have almost 20 million buried in the minors.

Just because you guys acquire and pay guys that are cooked doesn't mean you are not also an offender.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
The Lightning are not going away despite many other Atlantic teams fans wishes.

They will retool and be back next year, no doubt.

My gut feeling is that we will go into the 2024-25 season with many people talking about Detroit, NJ, or Buffalo bouncing back to make the playoffs, and then Tampa just quietly rides Vasilevsky and Kucherov to another WC spot.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Probably time for Cooper to go. Tampa's roster isn't bad, or quantums below Florida.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
a lot harder to win when youre cap compliant
Technically we used Sergachev's LTIR money to get Duclair and Dumba, who were both playing alongside him last night. So we weren't "compliant" lol. You guys should've been whining that Sergachev faked his leg break and could've come back sooner or some other dumbass crap like that.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Technically we used Sergachev's LTIR money to get Duclair and Dumba, who were both playing alongside him last night. So we weren't "compliant" lol. You guys should've been whining that Sergachev faked his leg break and could've come back sooner or some other dumbass crap like that.
Nah, we knew what you weren't getting with Duke. Or Dumba for that matter.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Goldie understanding the moment, and not talking so you can take it all in, unlike the clowns on ESPN who wanted to talk about nothing but Stamkos for the last 5 minutes, really makes him one of the best.
Glad I watched on Bally’s. Levy was actually pretty good calling a game when he was young back on the Deuce. But then espn ditched hockey and he never did it again. All these many years of being a highlight/studio guy shows badly while calling a game. They start rambling like they’re in the studio at intermission, the action is almost an afterthought. Terrible
Buccigros is even worse at calling a game.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
no game 1 "cure" for sergachev so i got no problem with that. tb played fair and lost in 5.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
that was very clear interference to me - duke obviously slid his skate back to prevent bob's glove from getting over to the puck.

hard to argue about the 2nd one because Cirelli was in the blue on his own and made contact. It didn't look like he really impacted bob and I would be pissed too but I think they called it right on the ice and there was no way they were going to overturn that given the evidence.

that said, the refs missed some calls and made some very soft calls in the series. but that was not the difference.

Duke’s skate interfered with Bob trying to freeze the puck with his glove before Cirelli ever got near the puck. It was in the goal crease when it happened. No goal.

The first goalie interference call was clear as day. Duclair's skate prevents bob from being able to reach out and cover the puck with his glove. Instead he has to make a chop at the puck with his stick.
I see it differently. Duclair has a right to play that puck (which was loose). That's not interfering with making the save at all. Players don't have to move out of the goalies way to let them play a loose puck. It was a bad call and it's unfortunate. But it doesn't matter. That's on the refs. It was too bad for that game, but the Panthers earned their series win.

2nd one no question calling it back was the right call.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
There was no questioning Sergachev. Kudos to him for the effort to come back so soon. Sergachev wasn’t skating with the team for the last weeks of the regular season, before becoming fully cleared to play before game 1. The optics of the two situations are nothing alike.

I see it differently. Duclair has a right to play that puck (which was loose). That's not interfering with making the save at all. Players don't have to move out of the goalies way to let them play a loose puck. It was a bad call and it's unfortunate. But it doesn't matter. That's on the refs. It was too bad for that game, but the Panthers earned their series win.

2nd one no question calling it back was the right call.
He doesn’t have the right to interfere with goalie trying to make a save.

Edit: his skate stopped Bob from grabbing and freezing the puck....how can you say he didn’t interfere with the goalie there? While in the blue paint. It was the right call

Last edited:

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Tampa horribly circumvented the cap in 20-21 and has been selling off assets trying to patch holes in their depth since Vasi’s contract kicked in.
I've never heard about this. Is there like a Wikipedia article I can read about it?

• Haha
Reactions: Idiot Stick

JohnnyBerts

Oct 30, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I still think Tampa’s a great team, a few holes on D imo and bottom 6 but still fantastic. It’s just Florida’s time. What a proper assembled team they have going on. Genius move when they unloaded Huberdeau for Tkachuk. Sent this organization on a completely different trajectory.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad