News Article: The Flames Have Chosen the Team Captain, not revealed who

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Not this guy

Mr_beans_holiday_ver2.jpg

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
OP, did you read the piece? Hartley never chose anything, it was an organizational (from players to ownership) decision and it was almost a unanimous choice.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
It's Gio. After the player interviews I believe it was Hartley who said the players unanimously named Gio as someone they think should be captain. Has to be.

TylerSVT*

Gio. Notice how many interviews he has on the Flames website recently?

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
90% sure it's Gio, but I'd kind of prefer Glencross (then Gio becomes more palatable as potential trade bait at the deadline for the 14-15 or 15-16 season).

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
I would love to move Gio this deadline with the cap going up next year his value could be an all time high.

With the cap going up, so does the cap floor.

Everyone wants to move Gio, Cammy, Stajan and/or Stempniak.

How the hell do we reach the floor?

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Yea I'm sure Murray Edwards would love to pay ****** players big money. Good way to rebuild

Its a very good way to rebuild get assets for our players and get assets for others. Next years FA looks good we could grab a few players and try again. WTF the point is hanging on to Gio while he gets older and his value declines.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I would love to move Gio this deadline with the cap going up next year his value could be an all time high.

I'd want to wait until at least the following deadline, just because completely gutting the Flames of useful vets will leave the team in a poor developmental position. I think, given another season and three quarters, they'll have had the opportunity to bring in another useful guy or two, and the young dudes will be old enough that Gio might be someone who can be traded off.

Think of it this way: you get rid of Gio and the top 4 D is Brodie, Wideman, and an assortment of guys with either no real NHL experience (Cundari, Wotherspoon) or established bottom pairing guys (SOB, Butler, Smith, Russell). The top end is already a little weak as it is; you take out a guy who's arugably the best dman on the team on a given night, and things go downhill very quickly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad