Prospect Info: The first round pick this year: Trade or Keep?

Trade or keep first round pick

• Total voters

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
This draft will be a crapshoot. Some teams will get top 10 talent with later picks. Only way O want Holland to trade the pick is if it’s for a young goalie with starting potential or a young top 6 LW.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Keep it, we are not getting any awesome sauce player for trading our middle of the 1st round draft pick. We also have almost no draft picks because Hollandgenius traded them all away for junk.

Let's look back a year, would you be happy trading holloway for some mid to lousy tier player?

As to the suggestion we should package it with neal or kassian or koskinen or whatever to give to Seattle..... If we did that I would be out as an Oiler fan.

Holloway hasn't proven a damn thing yet. Yes, the arrows are pointing in the right direction, but that is about it. We are also drafting later in the draft (21 vs 14), and this year is supposed to be not as deep and more of a crapshoot due to players not playing, and scouts not scouting. I would also argue that nobody would have expected Holloway to explode the way he did this year. If they had, he would have been drafted higher than 14th. The chances of us getting a "Holloway player" with this draft are fairly small, and even Holloway himself hasn't proved anything yet at all.

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
Definitely would trade the pick if it means getting an impact player signed to a decent contract for at least a couple of years.
Ideally a later 20s player with some physicality and playoff experience.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Low mid teens pick in the weakest draft in years (supposedly) in a year where scouting was completely f***ed due to COVID? Where you could probably grab a first round talent in Round 5 because of the weird scouting issues?

Trade it.

Reactions: cpsman

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
100% this. The flat cap means that money can go a long ways to fixing our depth. Montreal had 37 goals from Toffoli and Perry for less than we paid Neal to score 5
This is assuming we can use that cap space to attract other players. That is not an easy thing for a team located in a smaller, colder, Canadian city, with high fan/media scrutiny, and less of a tax advantage (not to mention poor overall team culture and management history over the last several years).

It's great if Holland can do it, but it will definitely be difficult to attract these players as FAs or in trade (as the higher impact players likely have a form of an NTC that would negate a trade to Edmonton).

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Depends on who is available.
If that Oilkings forward fall to it then u draft, if the Oilkings goalie falls to it you draft, if that Othman kid is available u draft. Trade if someone good like Rakell becomes available

Reactions: 94 Oil Drops

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Depends on who is available.
If that Oilkings forward fall to it then u draft, if the Oilkings goalie falls to it you draft, if that Othman kid is available u draft. Trade if someone good like Rakell becomes available
With a guy like Othmann—or most other realistic targets in our range—the hope is that he becomes a top-6 winger.

We should be trading the pick for a player that is already there.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Holloway hasn't proven a damn thing yet. Yes, the arrows are pointing in the right direction, but that is about it. We are also drafting later in the draft (21 vs 14), and this year is supposed to be not as deep and more of a crapshoot due to players not playing, and scouts not scouting. I would also argue that nobody would have expected Holloway to explode the way he did this year. If they had, he would have been drafted higher than 14th. The chances of us getting a "Holloway player" with this draft are fairly small, and even Holloway himself hasn't proved anything yet at all.

What kind of player do you expect to get for our late 1st round pick? You are not getting a good player with term for that at all.

Also Holloway is now up for grabs in your world as well.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Trade EVERYTHING that is not going to help us win in 2022

when will people learn

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Depends what the trade is for obviously.

Problem here is more than I dont trust Holland and the pro scouts to find a good deal for themselves. They havent won very many trades in 2 years.

scotchtapejr

Dec 28, 2018
I'd trade the first for two 2nds is possible. We need the depth and it's hard to trust the scouting this year with so many prospects not playing or not playing many games. Would prefer multiple shots at getting a good player.

We are going to make the playoffs anyway, so I believe its better to trade the 2022 first (for a player) before the deadline for playoff help.

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
Probably keep it. Obviously if we're getting great value for it I wouldn't mind trading it, or if we can offload a boat anchor contract (Neal)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad