The Fire John Hynes Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
JMac has probably scared a lot of people away from ex Devils, but lets get some of the true legends in here. Scotty as head coach, Nieds to coach the D, Elias as an assistant and Marty as the goalie coach.
You're probably mostly joking, but I'd like to shy away from bringing in guys like that in big roles, whether it's head coaching or general manager.

Stevens as an assistant could be decent, same with Patty. Nieds coaches as an assistant (part time assistant that doesn't travel with the team) in Anaheim, as far as I know.

Beetlebum

Oct 14, 2017
Shero needs to watch himself too. Eventually, trust the process needs to garner results.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
You're probably mostly joking, but I'd like to shy away from bringing in guys like that in big roles, whether it's head coaching or general manager.

Stevens as an assistant could be decent, same with Patty. Nieds coaches as an assistant (part time assistant that doesn't travel with the team) in Anaheim, as far as I know.

I'm 100% joking.

Wouldn't mind Marty working with Blackwood some, though.

Reactions: Bleedred

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Welp. Can't say this start is all that surprising. "We Are The Ones" is gonna be a pretty f'n embarrassing slogan if they don't get this straightened out fast.

You absolutely can't give this staff 10+ games if they go, say, 2-7-1 to start the season while averaging over 4 GA. And I think that is a very possible outcome. But you all better buckle up because Ray won't be tossing Hynes aside quickly regardless of what happens.

So sick of watching this trash defensive "system" that I've whined about for well over a year now. They can't do fundamental things correctly. Things the kids I coach can do. No, I'm not exaggerating. I have no idea what trash coverage concepts these guys are taught because their movement makes ZERO sense on a nightly basis.

I will say I'm already tired of seeing people shocked they aren't a good possession team. And I wouldn't expect that to change much throughout the season. Undersized, young team has a tough time gaining puck possession and keeping it. SHOCKING I TELL YOU.

Size/physicality doesn't matter AT ALL, right? Yet those EXACT SAME POSTERS that say this crap throw fits that the team gets cycled on at ES like they are down 5v3. That happens because they can't win a friggin board battle to save their lives. That happens because they have less reach to take away passing lanes.

Meh. Whatever. I bet Buffalo -2.5 and -3.5 today, so at least there's that. And I rarely ever bet hockey. Oh and lastly, I've been calling for bringing Stevens back for years along with a few other posters here.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I'm 100% joking.

Wouldn't mind Marty working with Blackwood some, though.

but it could work :dunno:

gretzky-wayne-940-8col.jpg

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Coaches pretty much always have a shelf life. Hynes has been here for the rebuild and overall done a decent job, but he might not be the right guy to push the team forward now.

He isn't. He's a good development coach - and that's ok when you have lots of really inexperienced kids and a group of mostly mediocre vets.

I honestly never saw Hynes as the guy to make this team win. He's just the teacher. But now the team is in a position to compete, and somebody else should be brought in to make them win.

Reactions: Hall4Hart

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Not every great player makes a great coach... 2 days into the season and I'm already happy the teams doesnt play for a few days to not have to deal with this bs. 80 games left to turn things around. Hynes needs to use the same lines on practice for the next few days and let players build chemistry more.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Not every great player makes a great coach... 2 days into the season and I'm already happy the teams doesnt play for a few days to not have to deal with this bs. 80 games left to turn things around. Hynes needs to use the same lines on practice for the next few days and let players build chemistry more.
80 games to turn things around? This season could be over within 15-20 games if maintain the level of play of the first two games.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Judging by Shero's interview in the pregame show in the Jets game, it would appear the expectation is to make the playoffs.

So if that's the case, I don't think Hynes coaches another game here after April of 2020 (At the latest) if we do miss the playoffs this year. He could survive the season, but I don't think he'll survive to make it to coach at all for this team next year.

Reactions: hidek91 and nugg

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013

I agree that every great player does not make a great coach. In a vacuum, I would not mention Stevens. Just my opinion but I think the quality of his analysis on NHL Network is similar to how I felt when I read Steve Kerr's columns on Yahoo back in the day post his retirement. A guy who understands the changes that have occurred in the game but also recognizes that certain things about attention to detail are timeless. Someone who is very clear about his ideas with the credibility to back it up.

I also look at Rod Brindamour in Carolina and I see another smart two-way player who, as a coach, has absorbed the skill and the speed of the modern game but has inspired his team to play a fantastic, smart game.

You take the player-as-coach/GM-thing on a case by case basis. I hate the old boys club as much as anybody.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That list of coaches in that athletic article (probably from the Spring, as Tippett was hired by the Oilers back in May and Dallas Eakins was named Ducks head coach all the way back in April, I'm pretty sure. And a couple others have since been hired as assistants) is full of jabroni's and bums that have proved they aren't for the NHL.

Mike Yeo is another mediocre head coach and he always looks like he's nervous and about to have an anxiety attack on the bench.

Bob Hartley sucks. One of the worst head coaches (along with Carlyle and Bylsma) to ever win the Stanley Cup. He should have never been brought back to the league by the Flames a few years ago. Go back to the windshield factory and stay there, you f***in worthless bum.

Marc Crawford is another guy that has no business as a head coach anymore. I'm pretty sure I saw him on a bench somewhere the other day. Was it for Chicago maybe? Pretty sure he's been picked up and is working as an assistant somewhere.

Michel Therrien also got picked up as an assistant for the Flyers.

Bylsma sucks. He also cost Shero his first job. Hope Shero learns from his mistakes. I'd probably take him as an assistant coach over Kowalsky though. I think he's an assistant in Detroit still? Unless he was let go this offseason.

Reactions: mtnet

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Judging by Shero's interview in the pregame show in the Jets game, it would appear the expectation is to make the playoffs.

So if that's the case, I don't think Hynes coaches another game here after April of 2020 (At the latest) if we do miss the playoffs this year. He could survive the season, but I don't think he'll survive to make it to coach at all for this team next year.

I don't think Shero's gonna let Hynes coast through another poor season, especially with THIS kind of play. With all the moves in the offseason results are expected now, for a number of reasons. I don't know when the drop dead date is, but it probably won't be as soon as most of us want.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
I agree that every great player does not make a great coach. In a vacuum, I would not mention Stevens. Just my opinion but I think the quality of his analysis on NHL Network is similar to how I felt when I read Steve Kerr's columns on Yahoo back in the day post his retirement. A guy who understands the changes that have occurred in the game but also recognizes that certain things about attention to detail are timeless. Someone who is very clear about his ideas with the credibility to back it up.

I also look at Rod Brindamour in Carolina and I see another smart two-way player who, as a coach, has absorbed the skill and the speed of the modern game but has inspired his team to play a fantastic, smart game.

You take the player-as-coach/GM-thing on a case by case basis. I hate the old boys club as much as anybody.

Agreed on Stevens (analysis) and Brindamour (as coach). I think canes bought in big time during his tenure so far in part because I think he really has the room's respect.

I wouldn't want to see Stevens shoulder the head coaching gig but he certainly could be brought in to take the reigns on the defense, he could only do better than what we're seeing, likely a lot better. Of course for that to happen, we'd need to jettison Hynes and get a new hc, and I don't like much of what's out there right now.

I could see maybe giving someone like Boucher a short-term deal for a different look. Standing by Hynes could end up being a problem for Shero before too long, and I'd hate to see how bad things would need to get for yet another year before his hand is forced on the coaching staff.

One thing is for sure, we got thoroughly embarrassed more than I could have ever anticipated in these two opening games.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
I have two big gripes with Hynes. The first is that he doesn't use his timeout aggressively enough. When goal 3 from Winnipeg went in, you could tell the team was not okay. He should have called timeout there to try and rally the troops. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, but that's a spot where you have to try. We still had our timeout in our back pocket while we were watching Wheeler skate off the ice to go celebrate with his teammates after the shootout.

The other is his stubborn merit system for spots on the power play and especially in the shootouts. He keeps sending guys like Palmieri and Hall out there in the shootout when we know neither of them are any good. Coleman showed some nice hands last year, Bratt has a history of great dekes. I'm tired of seeing Palmieri skate up and shoot it right into the goalie's glove.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I have two big gripes with Hynes. The first is that he doesn't use his timeout aggressively enough. When goal 3 from Winnipeg went in, you could tell the team was not okay. He should have called timeout there to try and rally the troops. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, but that's a spot where you have to try. We still had our timeout in our back pocket while we were watching Wheeler skate off the ice to go celebrate with his teammates after the shootout.

The other is his stubborn merit system for spots on the power play and especially in the shootouts. He keeps sending guys like Palmieri and Hall out there in the shootout when we know neither of them are any good. Coleman showed some nice hands last year, Bratt has a history of great dekes. I'm tired of seeing Palmieri skate up and shoot it right into the goalie's glove.
Bratt is really bad in the shootout, though still a small sample size.

He scored a really nice shootout goal on what was his first ever attempt and he has since gone either 0 for 4 or 0 for 5 in them. So he's now 1 for 5 or 1 for 6, with that 1 coming in his first ever attempt 2 years ago.

Hall has been decent at it since he's been here and Palmieri has just been bleh. He's scored a few here, but his lifetime percentage is low, as is Hall's. Not terribly low, but below average. I remember Hall was at a career 28% before last night's attempt. I'm assuming Palmieri is also either around there or even lower.

I think I'd give Coleman a chance too. Does Coleman have any shootout attempts? He might have went in that really long shootout in Nashville last year, but I don't even remember.

Severson has a couple shootout goals too, but no way Hynes was using him after the game he had.

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
He can't last much longer. He's obviously lost the team.

Regardless, as long as he's the coach, I refuse to get invested emotionally with this team. Hynes is a walking joke.

As long as he's our coach, I'm numb to the results. He's a dead man walking.

Last edited:
Reactions: New Jersey

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
That list of coaches in that athletic article (probably from the Spring, as Tippett was hired by the Oilers back in May and Dallas Eakins was named Ducks head coach all the way back in April, I'm pretty sure. And a couple others have since been hired as assistants) is full of jabroni's and bums that have proved they aren't for the NHL.

Mike Yeo is another mediocre head coach and he always looks like he's nervous and about to have an anxiety attack on the bench.

Bob Hartley sucks. One of the worst head coaches (along with Carlyle and Bylsma) to ever win the Stanley Cup. He should have never been brought back to the league by the Flames a few years ago. Go back to the windshield factory and stay there, you ****in worthless bum.

Marc Crawford is another guy that has no business as a head coach anymore. I'm pretty sure I saw him on a bench somewhere the other day. Was it for Chicago maybe? Pretty sure he's been picked up and is working as an assistant somewhere.

Michel Therrien also got picked up as an assistant for the Flyers.

Bylsma sucks. He also cost Shero his first job. Hope Shero learns from his mistakes. I'd probably take him as an assistant coach over Kowalsky though. I think he's an assistant in Detroit still? Unless he was let go this offseason.

You and I have been on the same page when talking about Guy Boucher. He’s a master communicator, he’s a great hockey mind when it comes to X’ and O’s, can do wonders to any PP and is great with young players.

If I had to choose one guy to replace Hynes, he’d be my guy.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
If Hynes was fired tomorrow I doubt he would get a head coaching gig in the NHL for awhile. He would probably be an Ahl head coach to rebuild his reputation for a few seasons.

Reactions: Bleedred
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad