Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Good point

Marcotte- Sanderson- Westfall

about as good as ever a defensive line

Hes such a forgotten guy because of the talent then.
But imagine what would a third line Selke talent forward that averaged 20 goals+ a year and .6 points per game average be worth today?

Oh, also iron man type too over 15 years.

He really was a helluva player.

Don Marcotte Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Something I never understood, back then:
the 1 seed played the 3 seed.
the 2 seed played the 4 seed.

You were better off finishing second instead of finishing first.

I was told years ago the NHL used that format to have more competitive matchups

The Bruins helped get the format changed in 1972 after they were upset by #3 Montreal.

In response to the prior year when the Minnesota North Stars appeared to intentionally lose games to finish fourth in the West instead of third and avoid a tougher match-up with first-place Chicago, and also the Boston Bruins were "rewarded" for finishing first in the East with a tough series against eventual Stanley Cup Champion Montreal, the first round match-ups were changed so that the first-place team played the fourth-place team and second played third. Previously, the first-place team played the third-place team and the second-place team played the fourth-place team.

Reactions: Gordoff

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Joe Thornton is still playing and spent 3 years as a teammate of Ray Bourque

Bourque rookie year in NHL was Gordie Howe’s last

Howe broke in 1946

Ray played against someone who played in 1946 and 2022

craze

You can get from Bergeron to Howe in 4 steps of separation.

Bergy played with Thornton as a rookie, Thornton played with Bourque, Bourque overlapped with Cheevers for one year as a rookie, Cheevers played 2 games for the 1962 Maple Leafs with both Red Kelly (who was a longtime Red Wing) and Dave Keon (who played with Howe in Hartford).

You can also get to Beliveau by going Bergy->Donato->Nilan->Serge Savard->Beliveau

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Boy I’ve read some doozies in my time on here, but this one, well this one is special.
upload_2021-9-13_22-3-29.jpeg

imagine telling today’s goalies they have to wear 1970 and 80 equipment?

or telling today’s players they are going to play the 1970 guys but using their equipment, no helmets

you want to see guys slow to a crawl take off their helmets

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
#99 had the puck a ton. Orr was the guy with it in Boston. Very good question.

Coffey played with the puck on his stick a ton too.

Hard to compare the speed because Orr was just faster then anybody on the ice so you just couldn't compare. Even Yvan Cournoyer couldn't keep up with Orr.

But if I was forced to make a guess, I would say Coffey was faster then Orr, but Orr was a better technical skater. Even in those old blades they used then, Orr's edgework on his blades hasn't been matched by anybody since. The highlights just don't do justice to just how good he was.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
lol any 4th line grinder today is better than anyone who played in 1970. Sorry to ruin your childhood (I'm sure it was a great time to be a fan tho), but the players today are just better in every way.

Holy f*** I can't believe this point of view still pops up.

Everyone with a brain understands athletes in all sports have improved physically over the last 100 years, in dramatic ways. Modern science and training makes that indisputable. That's why most people understand that greatness is measured to how much that player dominated during their era (and how competitive that era was.)

If you used a time machine and brought Babe Ruth to 2021 he would shit his pants when someone threw him a splitter. That doesn't mean he's the 10,000th greatest baseball player ever.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston

Hard to compare the speed because Orr was just faster then anybody on the ice so you just couldn't compare. Even Yvan Cournoyer couldn't keep up with Orr.

But if I was forced to make a guess, I would say Coffey was faster then Orr, but Orr was a better technical skater. Even in those old blades they used then, Orr's edgework on his blades hasn't been matched by anybody since. The highlights just don't do justice to just how good he was.

Like all pro sports imagine the old-timers playing with the quality of gear of today's athletes? Holy smokes

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Agreed.

Of course Coffey was so smooth and effortless a skater that he was deceptively fast. Orr was just a phenomenal skater.

Coffey may have played a lot with the puck on his stick, but Orr owned the puck once he got it.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I remember watching this on Sunday afternoon

those were the days you knew every player

stars on every team - hall of Famers seemed to be on every line

my favorite time as a hockey fan was 1970, sit on couch or infront of TV and spread out all the hockey cards and get the Hockey magazines out - such a great time

read the names in that article just incredible- I bet 20 of the greatest all time players were playing that weekend
Hockey stars on tv, sorting hockey cards, cutting out pictures from Sports Illustrated and putting them on my wall, and even watching Peter Puck during intermission. Such great memories.

Except of course Ken Dryden and his miserable miserable miserable amis in Habsland.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Hockey stars on tv, sorting hockey cards, cutting out pictures from Sports Illustrated and putting them on my wall, and even watching Peter Puck during intermission. Such great memories.

Except of course Ken Dryden and his miserable miserable miserable amis in Habsland.
Buying hockey posters at Coleman’s - yup those were the days

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Holy f*** I can't believe this point of view still pops up.

Everyone with a brain understands athletes in all sports have improved physically over the last 100 years, in dramatic ways. Modern science and training makes that indisputable. That's why most people understand that greatness is measured to how much that player dominated during their era (and how competitive that era was.)

If you used a time machine and brought Babe Ruth to 2021 he would shit his pants when someone threw him a splitter. That doesn't mean he's the 10,000th greatest baseball player ever.
In 50 years they will show the grainy footage of Brady doing the combine 40 yard dash and a picture of him shirtless and say ‘that guy can’t play today’

Bill Russell plays today as a 25 year old he’s the best player in the game in my view

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

upload_2021-9-16_11-2-7.jpeg

need to rearrange my worst sports moments

the Mount Rushmore in order by happening
1971 SC
1986 WS
2007 SB
2019 SC

If I could undue one of them it’s 2019 because I was there with my daughter

the other 3 it comes down to 2007 vs 1971

history fed off 1986 World Series and it tasted better later - the biggest issue was trying to get it back in 1988 and trading Bagwell in a panic move that never happens if they win in 1986 (I learned of Bagwell deal during morning break and went back to work and told boss I need rest of day off due to emotional trauma - serious lol)

the 1971 Bruins could have gone down as a dynasty and greatest team ever and they don’t do stupid stuff as well to win in 1972 which they did but screwed them long term

again - I went to bunch of those games but not game 7

the 2007 SB was already somewhat ruined by John Tomase article which I will always believe cast bad mojo over everything

magic wand
2019 because

Last edited:
Reactions: Number8

aguineapig

I miss the voices from back then, Fred Cusick and John Peirson, Bob Wilson and Don Earle even though he sunk to the depths of Thug Life and the Flyers. But Sunday afternoons were always a treat with the great Dan Kelly and "SHODDY HE SCORES!"

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
How many points would a Prime Bobby Orr have gotten playing in Paul Coffey's spot on those Oilers teams?
Yeah, sure Dom. You can pump the guy's tires all you want about him being in a different stratosphere and all. But you completely ignore the fact that he was using specialized equipment that would be considered illegal today because of the huge technological advantage it gave Bobby.

lf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad