Prospect Info: The Farm

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So with 3 new additions last night, and another half dozen plus on the way, we can start re-evaluating the prospect pipeline.

My personal opinion on our top 10:

1. Stuetzle
2. Sanderson
3. Batherson
4. Norris
5. Brannstrom
6. L.Brown
7. Bernard-Docker
8. Formenton
9. Thomson
10. Pinto
11. Grieg
12. Balcers

Edit: noticed a typo in my numbering, fixed it.

Having said that, there are some guys that we could take at 33 still on the board that I prefer over Grieg, so the top 10 could still change. (I left out goalies, they are voodoo)

Switching over to the prospect pyramid style of organization, I thin we will mostly add to tier 4 and below today, but this is how I see it.

Tier 1 - Franchise prospects:
Stuetzle

Tier 2 - Elite prospects

Sanderson, Batherson, Norris, Brannstrom

Tier 3 - Great prospects that have some question marks or lower ceiling than the elite guys

L.Brown, JBD, Thomson, Formenton, Pinto

Tier 4 - Legit prospects that may or may not be NHL players

Grieg, Balcers, Abramov, Chlapik, Zub

Tier 5 - Borderline guys that still have a shot but are more likely AHL level
Lajoie, Crookshank, Davidsson, Tychonick, Guénette, Alsing, Gruden, Kastelic

The rest

Last edited:

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
giphy.gif

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
1. Stuetzle
2. Sanderson
3. Bernard-Docker

4. Batherson
5. Norris

6. Brannstrom
7. Logan Brown

8. Formenton
9. Thomson
10. Pinto

A reasonably typical top 10 list here with the exception of JBD at 3 and in the same grouping as out two new shiny toys. To me, JBD has many of the same qualities that Sanderson is bringing to the table minus the physicality and the ability to skate up the puck at the level of Sandy. I personally project him as our top pairing RD as it currently stands. This kid has everything you want in a top pairing d-man. He's a plus skater, with an outstanding shot, a nice outlet pass, all while being a high IQ defender. This guy will always be slept on because he'll never have that wow factor that a Chabot or a Sanderson may have but JBD will be our Brian Rafalski of the future. An all-situation dman good for 8g+ and 25-30pts. This kid has it all.

Last edited:

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I haven't been following our prospect pool in depth over last few years, but what we have seems to be getting towards that ideal state.

We have top tier prospects that can be reliably counted on to be impact NHL players.

We also have enough depth that will not only fill key holes in the roster, but enough redundancy that you can move pieces without handicapping yourself in the future.

This puts the team in the hunt to land quality players if they become available. That still requires the ability to spend money, so, we'll need to get beyond our current ownership struggles, but, you can't control that from now. Team is doing what it needs to do at this stage very well.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Not sure where I'd add Jarventi. Seems like a project that could rocket up if things start to click.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Klevin is a nice add to tier 4 too. I really like his potential as a bottom 6 defender.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Sanderson is in a tier above all those guys for sure
I was tempted to put him one tier up, but I don't think he belongs on par with Stuetzle. I was tempted to put Norris, Batherson and Brannstrom one tier down, but they are too good for that imo. They are on opposite ends of the same tier for me, enough so that I could break it out into separate tiers, but I was using a system already established.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I was tempted to put him one tier up, but I don't think he belongs on par with Stuetzle. I was tempted to put Norris, Batherson and Brannstrom one tier down, but they are too good for that imo. They are on opposite ends of the same tier for me, enough so that I could break it out into separate tiers, but I was using a system already established.
Makes sense. Don't think any of those guys are close to similar level prospect that Sanderson is

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I think it's a bit of a compliment to Sanderson considering the other guys have shown more at higher levels of competition.
I think it's a bit of a disservice to have him at a level of those guys, regardless of where they've played. They aren't similar calibre prospects.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
1. Tim Stutzle
2. Jake Sanderson
3. Drake Batherson
4. Josh Norris
5. Alex Formenton
6. Jacob Bernard-Docker
7. Ridly Greig
8. Erik Brannstrom
9. Shane Pinto
10. Logan Brown

HM: Lassi Thomson, Roby Jarventie, Joey Daccord

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think it's a bit of a disservice to have him at a level of those guys, regardless of where they've played. They aren't similar calibre prospects.

I guess you can put him in tier 1B all by himself. He'll get a little lonely, but he, everyone is dealing with a bit of isolation these days. I'm sure he can zoom with Kleven and the boys at UND.

In all seriousness, I pretty much agree with you, but using the system I was, I either had to include him with those three he doesn't really belong with, or with Stuetzle who imo he doesn't belong with. I guess I could push everybody in tier 2 down to 3, and 3 down to 4, but that seems harsh to some pretty good prospects in tier 3.

SensBrawler

Jun 24, 2013
Wait, I'm starting the polls again tonight :)

Unless Sensbrawler would like to buy back the rights to do them?

:sarcasm:

I'm too tight against the cap ceiling. Can't afford to buy the rights. :sarcasm:

Feel free to continue running the polls. Looking forward to participating in the voting.

Reactions: Xspyrit

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
1. Stutzle C/LW
2. Sanderson LD
3. Batherson RW
4. Norris C
5. L. Brown C
6. JBD RD
7. Pinto RW
8. Formenton LW