The fall off of Jacob Markstrom

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Zadorov, Hanifin, Tanev, Lindholm traded out. Mystery solved.
Hanifin played in 7/10 of these games, Tanev in 5/10.

He's not facing significantly more shots, he's not facing significantly higher danger chances (hence the large gap in GSAx).

Reactions: hn777

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
He’s also missed time with an injury. Who knows how healthy he is?

It’s not like any other goalie is lighting it up for the Flames. They’re just not a good team.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
C'mon. It's Calgary. Give me a half season of sucky Markky on a proper team and I'll buy what you're selling.

(Edmonton did break his spirit though, in that series)
I can offer you 2 full seasons of a sucky markstrom on very talented Calgary teams in 20-21 and 22-23

Seems to be just an inconsistent goalie who the clock struck midnight on once again and turned back into a pumpkin

Reactions: D Wakaluk

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Makes sense to me.

Expects to be traded and doesn't get traded. Sees the rest of the team dismantled with guys traded away. Organization gives up on season so he does too. Combine that with the fact he's historically a good goalie rather than an elite goalie.

Doesn't seem like that big of a surprise to me.

Reactions: Miller Time

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
To start the year:

33 games, 0.916, 2.5 GAA, 32.78 GSAx

Then, near valentine's day trade rumours heat up and allegedly flames ownership vetoes a trade

Since then:

10 games, 0.879, 3.5 GAA, -1.93 GSAx

Oof.
Yea he didnt get traded so he was pissed

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
0.888, 3.5 GAA, pre Hanifin trade
0.867, 3.5 GAA post hanifin trade

Yeah but I was told for months by a certain fanbase that Markstrom was a "guarantee at great goaltending" and that my team were idiots for not trading the moon for him
No one gives up the moon for goalies these days.

The Devils need a goalie, but there’s no point paying a lot for one.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Maybe the Devils were fortunate not selling the farm for Markstrom and picking up Jake Allen instead for just a 3rd rounder. Calgary should have traded him at his peak.. not sure if they'll get as good of a return for him now in the summer.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
the Trade Forum melodrama :laugh:

They traded an entire top 4 pairing and have been playing multiple waiver pickups every game. He's also been injured and the entire team has pretty clearly thrown in the towel. You've really cracked the code here OP, consider a blog.

Reactions: JurassicTunga

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Makes sense to me.

Expects to be traded and doesn't get traded. Sees the rest of the team dismantled with guys traded away. Organization gives up on season so he does too. Combine that with the fact he's historically a good goalie rather than an elite goalie.

Doesn't seem like that big of a surprise to me.

I don't think enough people consider this. What's Markstrom playing for? Hell, it's in both his and Calgary's best interest not to try overly hard. If he gets injured, it hurts a potential off season move. While the weaker the Flames are as a whole, the better their draft pick.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
There’s one way to solve this mystery…take the 33 game sample and 10 game sample with deconstructed team and average them out into this thing we call “his season”.

Turns out he’s still 4th in the entire NHL in GSAx.

But sure, you can take a targeted 10 game stretch of McDavid and also make him look pretty ordinary.

Reactions: GeeoffBrown

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad