Online Series: The Falcon and the Winter Soldier - March 19th, 2021 on Disney+

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
I don't quite see why the Skrulls would be dealing with arms dealing.

Skrulls are typically villains but Captain Marvel twisted that on its head (if my memory serves mind you). Hell, they may be looking for defense against the next threat and become the enemy as a result. I mean the TV shows have been introducing shades of grey, not just black and white good and bad.

Reactions: Voight and Jussi

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I particularly like how we tried to garner sympathy for an obvious terrorist. :laugh:
upload_2021-4-24_14-50-2.jpeg

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
The series premiered March 19 to what Disney+ said was its biggest series debut audience ever, topping popular shows such as Marvel's WandaVision and Lucasfilm's The Mandalorian.

Not bad

The finale was great. Sam's Captain America was spot on. Walker becoming US Agent and wow I didn't think they would make Carter baddie...wonder if she will have links to Leviathan.

iu

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Overall a great series. I wish it was longer than 6 episodes. Much better than the dumpster fire that was WandaVision (of course in my own opinion lol)

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
They could've done better with the flag smashers. They had a real issue and kind of dumbed it down to standard nonsensical villainy.
So true. There were hints in Sam's short conversations with Karli that there wass more there. Maybe something essential was cut TO DUMB it down? Mistake in that case

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I couldn't stand that teenage Southern British accent villain, she was awful and her whole group dragged down the show. Dunno why they didn't hire better actors in that spot, glad we're done with the flag smashers.

Overall, fairly satisfying. Was it better than Wandavision? I think it was more entertaining and tense and neater but I can't say that it was more interesting. The editing really was messy especially with the Power Broker stuff, Covid kinda ruined parts of this show.

Pretty damn decent appetizer for Loki though which to me will be the real thing.

wandavision after the first couple episodes was way better IMO

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I've seen several analogies that Steve Rogers' Cap and now Sam Wilson's Cap is what America used to be like or rather wants to be like but in John Walker's Cap is what it actually is like.
When Gruenwald wrote that storyline he was doing so in response to the Rambo spirit going around in the 80’s.

For the era of adapting comic characters from being so cartoonish they succeeded turning Cap into a “good guy” as opposed to the bore that is Superman.

I mean the guy banged Diamondback.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I really enjoyed it .. they did some great character development for Sam and Bucky

The MCU's future depends on these secondary heroes stepping up in more prominent roles .. I think they've done a good job with their two series so far

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Liked the show, but I feel they should have showed people having issue or feeling uneasy about the idea of a black Captain America if they were going to make it a major point of the show. Maybe they didn't feel like showing such a thing was a good idea in this climate? :dunno:

Lots of intriguing characters that I liked and as has been said, very curious to see how they slot into the films. Also glad they didn't make Walker a villain. Having Sam have such an issue with fighting Karli was way overdone to me, and it made it feel like he didn't do all that much in the grand scheme of things with her just being easily killed anyways by Sharon. Loved the performances of most of the characters but I did feel the writing was a bit lacking in several areas.

All in all I enjoyed the show quite a bit and am excited to see how it ties into the MCU going forward.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Wasn't a fan of this one. Characters like Falcon, Black Widow, hawk eye are really lame. Bucky being a rehash of captain america but with a cyber arm is not far behind. None of these characters have a personality that makes them more interesting than their lack of interesting powers and lack of interesting story within the MCU. This latest series was incredibly lame to me. The flag smashers were non-sensical, badly written, and were pushed as some sort of parallel to some of today's real world problems but .... it didn't hit the mark at all.

I much preferred Wanda vision. And I think Loki is going to be better than this also.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
Now that I've let the series settle for a few days, I'm a little more off the hype than I was. The finale really left a sour taste in my mouth.

Overall, there were a lot of things done well. The action sequences were on par with MCU movies, which is top notch. Getting Zemo involved again was top notch. The development of US Agent was great and he has a strong future in the MCU as a Loki-type anti-hero for Cap. The development and relationship of Cap/Bucky was perfect. Bucky's acting was amazing and really showed more aspects of his character.

Aside from that, there were a lot of negatives. The plot has way too many holes/inconsistencies for me. It started when Bucky broke Zemo out of prison. That just seemed... unlike him? But whatever, I let that one slide at the time. But, then the whole Sharon gone bad, but not really, but really for real thing just didn't sit with me. She's the power broker? She helped the heroes kill her source of the super soldier serum for what purpose? It just didn't make sense and still doesn't. It's like they built the whole series up for some big baddy... and it was the ultimate let down. They even made her the ending credit scene in the finale to rub it in our faces. The flagsmashers were about as bland as you can get. I'm still not sure what they were trying to do even after a rewatch. And we were supposed to sympathize with them and feel for Sam trying to turn Karlie good. But, how can we sympathize with them when they have no goal that makes sense and we just see them going around killing people and blowing up buildings for no purpose? They needed way more development if they wanted the audience to have any interest at all.

Lastly, and I'm probably going to ruffle feathers with this, but the series felt way too preachy. I get that they wanted to tackle racism with Sam becoming Captain America - and that's great and makes complete sense. But it really felt like they just kept throwing it back at us. Everything became race. From the cops pulling them over, to the rejected loan, to the black falcon, to the Karlie "sympathy". And then it gets tops off with this 20 minute speech by Sam saying the same thing over and over and over. Like, could they have been any more subtle? I dunno - I just feel like they could have done a better job overall and that makes me disappointed.

Both FATWS and WandaVision have shown glimmers of how amazing these D+ series can be. The highs are up there with the MCU movies. But, the lows seem to fall right in line with the previous television series, which is disappointing. There's so much potential if they only polished things up a bit more before releasing them.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I didn't really have any hype for this since I thought the two main characters were the most boring of the MCU. That reason ended up being the reason I thought this was mostly meh. The only episode I truly enjoyed mostly all the way through was the finale.

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but I definitely preferred WandaVision.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Huh? You're supposed to feel sympathy for the people who are getting displaced forcefully and have nothing to look forward to. Her group is the clear antagonist of the show - over Zemo even, who did even worse things but ended up in a grey area - but her cause doesn't take off the ground without people in need actually believing this can help them.

Nothing about this is new considering what the Captain America trilogy has been, heck those themes are all over TWS and CW. That's why the speech makes him essentially Cap. You can not want anything political in a show about Captain America if that's your fancy ig but that would be a very dreary thing considering the character and the values he holds.

No kidding.

Sam was a pararescue airman and a trauma counsellor. Saving people and showing compassion is who he is, what he does. "Maybe this homeless 19 year old deserves a little sympathy for being stuck between a rock and a hard place but I'm still gonna do what I need to do to stop her from killing more people" is 100% correct for his character.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
No kidding.

Sam was a pararescue airman and a trauma counsellor. Saving people and showing compassion is who he is, what he does. "Maybe this homeless 19 year old deserves a little sympathy for being stuck between a rock and a hard place but I'm still gonna do what I need to do to stop her from killing more people" is 100% correct for his character.
Indeed and he does try and offer his help, his influence with those in charge to find a better solution than violence.

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad