Speculation: The Evolution of Dan Bylsma-Too Little Too Late?

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
Am a huge critic of DB since the Islanders series. However - last night I saw him do a number of things I have been highly criticle of him for not doing in the recent past:

1) Gibbons was not scratched in favor of an ineffective veteran, and was bumped up to the 1st line when it became obvious he was one of our best players last night.

2) DB actually benched Letang for his poor play last night, and then called him out in the media afterwards. It's really the 1st time I can recall him doing so to a core player on the team. He also took Letang off the 1st powerplay unit. Now that is finally some real accountability, as opposed to calling out Juice for one of his 8 minors on the season....

3) when Bennett got bumped down for making the turnover, and then not hustling back defensively on the 1st goal, he did not go directly to the 4th line, but bumped Glass down. This led directly to the game-winner Bennett to Sutter. I can better handle Gladams together on the 4th if it means Sutter gets to actually play with complimentery linemates in Bennett and Stepniak. That line could do some damage in the playoffs.

4) we had a nice effective gameplan tonight. Short dumpins with a player coming with speed to get in behind the defenseman. It was a good adjustment to our normal dumpins off stretch passes and nobody flying to the puck with speed.

Clearly there are still plenty of personnel and strategy issues to gripe about, but this was actually a couple steps forward by the coaching staff I thought. One wonders if DB can keep pushing forward: have a plan B and C ready for an opposing teams adjustments, get one of the Gladams out of the lineup in favor of Megna, insert Borts or Depres if another D has a couple bad nights, pull Fleury at the right moment if necessary.

Discuss....

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
No evolution until Glass Adams on bench as healthy scratches and

Megna is still sitting. Also Despres over Orpik/Scuderi. Vokoun not dressed as backup.

I will give him credit for benching Pyatt (4 months late)

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
The problem is the accountability is selective under Bylsma. Certain players get short leashes, others don't. People talk about Bennett's turnover on the first goal, but what about Gibbon's turnover that let to the 2-on-0 in the second period? How about Orpik having his back turned on the first goal? How about Kunitz playing like absolute dog ****?

Can't be selective about how players are held accountable. It makes the players with long leashes complacent and only justifies those who feel Bylsma has his favorite players.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Taking Letang off the PP isn't something new, it's happened before.

In fact, I would say Letang STARTING on the top PP unit is more "same ole Dan" than taking him off the PP is, "Evolution"

On top of that, the replacement for Letang are vets - Niskanen, Martin. I would bet - I can't promise or guarantee because I can't prove it - if the options were Letang or Maatta, Letang wouldn't have been demoted.

But look at the other issues on the team: Adams, Glass (Your mileage may vary), Scuderi and Orpik.

There are upgrades (maybe not great players, but the best the Pens have available) available to Dan Bylsma. They are there, waiting.

This is it, do or die. Bylsma has shown no openness to CUTTING THEIR TIME, let alone replacing them.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
No evolution until Glass Adams on bench as healthy scratches and

Megna is still sitting. Also Despres over Orpik/Scuderi. Vokoun not dressed as backup.

I will give him credit for benching Pyatt (4 months late)

Clearly there are still plenty of issues to consider, but I don't think an all or nothing perspective on positive changes by the Coach is fair, or realistic.

And I have always been bought in on the idea that you give your poor performing playoff proven Vet D's the opportunity to lift their games in the playoffs. I saw nothing last night to make me feel like Depres should replace anybody just yet.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
The problem is the accountability is selective under Bylsma. Certain players get short leashes, others don't. People talk about Bennett's turnover on the first goal, but what about Gibbon's turnover that let to the 2-on-0 in the second period? How about Orpik having his back turned on the first goal? How about Kunitz playing like absolute dog ****?

Can't be selective about how players are held accountable. It makes the players with long leashes complacent and only justifies those who feel Bylsma has his favorite players.

I'd add his terrible bench management. Malkin played 17:30 last night and Crosby didn't break 20 minutes. Both guys should be up around 22-23 minutes in the playoffs unless the game is out of hand.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I'd add his terrible bench management. Malkin played 17:30 last night and Crosby didn't break 20 minutes. Both guys should be up around 22-23 minutes in the playoffs unless the game is out of hand.

Malkin had to play over 7 minutes in the third to get to his 17:30. He was at ~10:00 through 2.

I will never understand his usage of Evgeni Malkin.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Malkin had to play over 7 minutes in the third to get to his 17:30. He was at ~10:00 through 2.

It's actually really simple - the more ice time Malkin gets, that's less ice time for Craig Adams.

Sideline

May 23, 2004

It what universe does this make sense? Please, someone defending Bylsma, tell me how this is even close to a good use of talent.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh

Yes but Gibbons hustled back on D after the turnover, Bennett did not.

Orpik played overall a decent game-it seems reasonable to give him a pass on being benched and called out in the media.

When has a Letang type player ever been benched and called out in the media-this is positive change even though we want to see it all at once-it just don't happen that way.

Kunitz is more problematic. Would love to see him pull some shifts on the 3rd line if he comes out crap in the next game. And he may still be nursing an injury. And what about Sid? Crosby showed me nothing last night, other than some discipline to not respond to all the ******** he had to take.

wolf fish

Dec 8, 2013
I don`t think DB was benching Bennett by putting him on the third line last night. I thought of it more as Sutter`s line needed help and Bennett was tasked with and did quite well at helping that line.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh

Crosby was uninspired dog poo last night. Malkin is coming of a bad foot injury and you could see last night it was still bothering him. So yes I disagree with this post.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I don`t think DB was benching Bennett by putting him on the third line last night. I thought of it more as Sutter`s line needed help and Bennett was tasked with and did quite well at helping that line.

No one is saying he was benched because he was on the 3rd line.

People are saying he was benched because - shocker coming - he was literally benched. 3 minutes in each of the 2nd and 3rd periods. That's a 9-minute pace.

That's not a 3rd-liner, that's a 4th-liner you want to hide.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

Actually yes he was benching Bennett as he was hardly out there during the third period.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Crosby was uninspired dog poo last night. Malkin is coming of a bad foot injury and you could see last night it was still bothering him. So yes I disagree with this post.

haha, uninspired dog poop.

Okay, so give some plays that illustrate how Crosby was dog poop and point out some times when it was obvious that Malkin's foot was bothering him, since you're the only person I've seen mention this. It was obvious, so you have plenty of examples.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Not at all Ice. But I surely know that all I will ever get from you on a post like this is strong loud and probably angry disagreement.

No, you actually got an intelligent reason on why you can't call it evolution for something he's done before.

He took Letang off the top-PP LAST SEASON.

I am not disagreeing with you because I'm angry or I hate Bylsma. I'm disagreeing with you because YOU ARE WRONG.

He did nothing last night that he hasn't done before. Taking Letang off the top-PP is not some new, shocking development. That he had two vets behind Letang to fall back on only adds to the "wow, not at all surprising."

The fact that Letang was ON THE TOP PP TO START THE GAME shows just how much he hasn't changed.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Bylsma's player usage is usually screwy.

I think his evolution is too late, considering how sad his progress has been. Gladams are still playing, Letang never should have been back on the PP to get taken off, the Bennett shenanigans and his issues with youth in general, disciplining players is inconsistent, their practice schedule is inconsistent, he continues to struggle with adapting, the bizarre lines and stupid player combinations are still going strong, preparation issues, etc. Some younger players are playing and he'll scramble lines when he's feeling pressured, that's not a lot of progress on his part. It's also a season when the cap went down and one of his favourites got injured.

Any progress he has made isn't enough, his learning curve is shallow at best. I don't think he ever really moved beyond being willing to lose doing things his way, except that brief time when he was worried about his job but it didn't stick. Maybe if his ego got demolished or if he had another decade to learn, but that's not going to happen here and it shouldn't. It's a shame that he's shown a real inability to learn, it really is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad