The Everything Rebuilding/Tanking Related Thread/GDT For Tankers #15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
We need to lose every night to ensure the 3rd overall.

We aren't going to lose every night.

Looking at the games tonight I see Ottawa and Columbus being hard pressed to get wins. We need to keep pace with them on nights like this.

Also, losing tonight will hopefully kill their confidence for the weekend. :laugh:

Apr 11, 2010
Toronto
We aren't going to lose every night.

Looking at the games tonight I see Ottawa and Columbus being hard pressed to get wins. We need to keep pace with them on nights like this.

Also, losing tonight will hopefully kill their confidence for the weekend. :laugh:

I'm actually kind of worried that Dion's going to come out and show us all his Captain powers and somehow win a couple of pointless games for us. But yes, we really do need to lose the first game he comes back. No winning streak please.

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
I'm actually kind of worried that Dion's going to come out and show us all his Captain powers and somehow win a couple of pointless games for us. But yes, we really do need to lose the first game he comes back. No winning streak please.

Yeah, that's certainly a concern. Philly should be hungry for a play off spot though.

We've got a pretty tough three game stint coming up. This pleases me.

HockeyAndWings

Dec 18, 2006
We need to lose as many games as possible, the higher our draft selection the more likely we draft a franchise type player.

Would be really nice to kickoff the rebuild around a franchise type player.

So Truculent

Da Real MVP
Jun 30, 2011
Leafs Nation

when has Dion ever won games for us lol :)

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
All I'm hoping for tonight is that Lupul doesn't get injured .. Need to keep him healthy up until the deadline so he could possibly be moved

3 games in 4 nights may be tough

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I also want to point out to someone who posted the whole "the Leafs need to be in the Finals by 2025"...

Please note: having a well built team doesn't guarantee anything. it gives you a better chance. for sure, but better team doesn't = cup or cup final. and I really hope a lot of people know this because i can just see some people getting angry about that.

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
I also want to point out to someone who posted the whole "the Leafs need to be in the Finals by 2025"...

Please note: having a well built team doesn't guarantee anything. it gives you a better chance. for sure, but better team doesn't = cup or cup final. and I really hope a lot of people know this because i can just see some people getting angry about that.

I agree, but we do have the advantage of playing in the East.

That may help a bit LOL.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
All I'm hoping for tonight is that Lupul doesn't get injured .. Need to keep him healthy up until the deadline so he could possibly be moved

3 games in 4 nights may be tough

Same holds true for Phaneuf as him returning and getting in some game action helps in potential trades.

Last edited:

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I agree, but we do have the advantage of playing in the East.

That may help a bit LOL.

:laugh: this is very true. all i mean is.. things. happen.

like. St Louis (with all their problems), is still a very good team and what happens? they face LA and Chicago in the first round and get eliminated.

San Jose and their perennial choke job (which bugs me, because I LIKE San Jose).

and even looking at the Leafs past, they might not have been excellent or whatever, but they had chances, but it was like.. the crappiest of things. (Domi's flying elbow on Niedermayer, the fact that the Islanders broke 1/2 the Leafs, and then the Senators atacked the other 1/2. Even if the Leafs had beat Carolina they were never ever going to beat Detroit). the Leafs (loaded for bear at the end), and then meeting up with a tricky, difficult Flyers team. Gretzkys high stick.. like stuff just happens.

Like yes, you want to be built so you're always considered. you're always have a chance to win the East. but I don't think it behooves anyone to put time limits on when a cup-final will happen. Simply looking at droughts, the average one is about 50 years give or take. a few. the Leafs, are obviously going to be the over on that one.

(and that's going to be the interesting thing - what is going to be the new 'standard" drought number). if the Leafs somehow win a cup between 2017 (year 50), and 2022 (year 55), they are within the average "over") because Detroit/New York were about 50-55 years between cup wins.

If the Leafs find a miracle. (and we're Leafs, lucky happy things never really go for us), and win a cup between now and 2017 thats the average under-50 range).

what makes it interesting is St Louis. If St Louis doesn't win before 2017, they too, set the new average for teams never winning a cup (at 50).

if Montreal/New York don't win, they new average between cups will be set at 30 or so. (some of these numbers are off, but again, haven't had breakfast yet).

it will be interesting to track.

Shwaguy*

Well Daisy, I don't think we should care if this rebuild results in a good team. Only a cup matters when you haven't won since 67.

I'd consider it a failure if we don't win a cup.

Ask San Jose what they think about their team since 06.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Well Daisy, I don't think we should care if this rebuild results in a good team. Only a cup matters when you haven't won since 67.

I'd consider it a failure if we don't win a cup.

Ask San Jose what they think about their team since 06.

you need a good team to have a chance.
but a good team doesn't = cup.

that's what i'm saying. so yes. when the goal is to win the cup, and every year you don't win, it is a failure, but it doesn't mean that your team isn't good. crap. happens. i think that is way too much white vs. black. thinking there.

Shwaguy*

you need a good team to have a chance.
but a good team doesn't = cup.

that's what i'm saying. so yes. when the goal is to win the cup, and every year you don't win, it is a failure, but it doesn't mean that your team isn't good. crap. happens. i think that is way too much white vs. black. thinking there.

Yeah that's fair, I'm just saying I don't care if the team is good if we don't win a cup.

Well, I guess that's a lie, it'd be fun being around the City (And Ottawa :laugh: when the Leafs are good and make playoff runs).

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Leafs currently have 2.7M in capspace. Despite the moves of Franson, Winnik, and Santorelli off the roster.

Not much capspace.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Leafs currently have 2.7M in capspace. Despite the moves of Franson, Winnik, and Santorelli off the roster.

Not much capspace.

LOL...and that's a surprise..we haven't gotten rid of Bozak/Lupul/Dion/Kessel yet. We haven't even made a big move yet. All our trades have been for our cheap UFA's. Patience.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
LOL...and that's a surprise..we haven't gotten rid of Bozak/Lupul/Dion/Kessel yet. We haven't even made a big move yet. All our trades have been for our cheap UFA's. Patience.

Take back salary, or eat some salary, or free giveaway where we get lowballed are relevant think points for those that think it is that easy.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It's a lot of cap space when you're a seller

When you factor in that teams are treating cap space like gold, we took back half of Winnik's contract, and we are paying for Gunnar's. It really isn't if we have to take back a contract if we are dealing a contract. Not unless Nonis can pull a Houdini.

Gary Batman

Aug 4, 2014
when has Dion ever won games for us lol :)

He ruined our tank on this one. I believe we had a shot at 3rd overall (Galchenyuk) before we went on to win this game.:shakehead:

I felt like punching puppies looking at his reaction. Mainly because that intensity disappears for him when the going gets tough, and he wanted to yell "I am king of the world" for winning a meaningless game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad