News Article: The Eugene Melnyk era in Ottawa (The Athletic)

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
They explicitly stated in the podcast that there is a deeper level they didn't report out of respect for the timeliness of it, I-T. C'mon.
I missed that part, hence wondering if there is deeper in terms of evidence of racism, on going harassment, things that could have legal ramifications.

I would like to see those things made public, and I like what I’m hearing from Mendes about media openness going forward. I like that this is all being talked about and spiralling into a larger case study of the recent history of sports journalism in Ottawa.

My point was questioning whether there is a bigger story, or more just examples of the same asshole stories. By the sounds of things this will serve to maybe be a catalyst for media coverage change of the team and new ownership.

It’s interesting to hear that Ian has taken this beyond folks looking for a pound of flesh from a dead guy to looking into how media needs to cover the team going forward.

This is an emotional subject, and I want to be clear that I have no interest in sweeping this under the rug. I didn’t want to get bogged down on just more and more asshole stories, instead, having said that, I have to consider that there are people who may feel victimized and want to have their stories made public. Sometimes I can get focused in on my own opinions, so it’s nice sometimes to take a moment to sit back and consider several perspectives. It also looks like things are focusing on how this all stayed quiet, and how things can change going forward.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I think most in here have been pretty reasonable, but I've been disappointed by your commentary on this from the get go. Having worked in environments and for bosses far less toxic, but still similarly toxic and traumatizing, you're downplaying the underlying seriousness of a boss that acts like a tyrant and/or doesn't respect lines that can't be crossed. You seem to be missing the point that these are stories that portray what was happening, what he was like as a person, including to those he treated well at times like the Ukrainian fellow, it's not about the isolated cases. You have a story about him literally trying to land the guy in jail, that would literally ruin their life over one mans delusional conspiracy! They said it could have been 10000 pages long if they could use everything. Just that one line in that email calling her a :eek::eek::eek::eek: would have had me fired immediately from every job I've ever been in. He's only exempt because he's the owner which is what so much of stuff like this and the me too stuff is about; the power dynamics leaving these people with no option but to be abused or give up their livelihood and start over. You want to condemn the social justice commentary, without acknowledging that its been like this because it's the last resort people have in cases like this, and in this particular case they didn't even have that because the asshole in question extended his power and wealth to the court system to bully them, so they had to wait for the f***ing guy to die just to get that. Now it stays out there and gets talked about to honor those people that endured the shit from him, that's why. Nobody needs to make excuses for this asshole that seemed to think he could treat others however he wanted simply because he owned it. It's 2022 and people like that need to be exposed and held accountable and in this case f***ing embarrassed for a period of time as his daughters essentially take it on the chin for him and that's the legacy he left. Keep the stories coming because by all accounts there are a ton more out there and those people deserve to have their stories told since they weren't able to while he was alive. We want to say its too late for this, even though the subject of it seems to be the whole reason it waited until now.
Yup, embarrassingly sometimes I get caught in my own level of emotional attachement (or lack thereof), and miss out on the perspectives of others.

I’m not remotely thinking that people shouldn’t be exposed, or that people shouldn’t share. I think I got greedy wanting to skip the washer cycle and jump right to the dawn of a new age. My apologies for offending those who I offended.

I’m enjoying listening to the various opinions and questions live. Nice to hear voices and a bit more of a back and forth.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Yup, embarrassingly sometimes I get caught in my own level of emotional attachement (or lack thereof), and miss out on the perspectives of others.

I’m not remotely thinking that people shouldn’t be exposed, or that people shouldn’t share. I think I got greedy wanting to skip the washer cycle and jump right to the dawn of a new age. My apologies for offending those who I offended.

I’m enjoying listening to the various opinions and questions live. Nice to hear voices and a bit more of a back and forth.
I probably came on a little strong there and didn't mean to guilt you, but having seen some of what can happen to people in those kinds of environments, I feel badly for those affected. I wont go on with personal anecdotes, but there's many sad scenarios that come to mind and I think people in those positions are mostly powerless to it other than leaving and starting over.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Listening to this now. Not sure how much of the Melnyk article is discussed.

Interesting to hear his perspective on how media members were handled in Ottawa. Said something to the effect of "One day this will be a case study" for the bad side of it while also acknowledging that of course there is some pandering to organizations to keep the relationship.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Interesting to hear his perspective on how media members were handled in Ottawa. Said something to the effect of "One day this will be a case study" for the bad side of it while also acknowledging that of course there is some pandering to organizations to keep the relationship.
Lots of good stuff in there .. Ian has mentioned a couple of times how the media in Ottawa has let the fanbase down and how he vows to do better. Ian has a really well balanced approach and is hard to dislike. He gets what the integrity of a reporter is all about and strives to be that guy. I like that. Its a big contrast with those that don't want to ruffle any feathers and put their access above their integrity. Certainly not all reporters are created equal and not all media members working in hockey can call themselves reporters at all.

Reactions: Ice-Tray and Yak

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Lots of good stuff in there .. Ian has mentioned a couple of times how the media in Ottawa has let the fanbase down and how he vows to do better. Ian has a really well balanced approach and is hard to dislike. He gets what the integrity of a reporter is all about and strives to be that guy. I like that. Its a big contrast with those that don't want to ruffle any feathers and put their access above their integrity. Certainly not all reporters are created equal and not all media members working in hockey can call themselves reporters at all.
I agree. I like his approach. Maybe that's not what some people are looking for in their sports reporting, but I appreciate it.

Reactions: Yak

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I probably came on a little strong there and didn't mean to guilt you, but having seen some of what can happen to people in those kinds of environments, I feel badly for those affected. I wont go on with personal anecdotes, but there's many sad scenarios that come to mind and I think people in those positions are mostly powerless to it other than leaving and starting over.
Ah no worries man you didn’t do anything to apologize for. I can be a bulldog on a point sometimes and need to step back and take stock at times for sure. I know myself pretty well lol.

I don’t disagree with anything you have said here, and am also sympathetic. I didn’t mean to come across as cold towards the plights of people who are routinely victimized, but I realize that I did regardless.

Cheers!

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: