News Article: The Eugene Melnyk era in Ottawa (The Athletic)

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Do you have an excerpts or highlights from the article to share?
I'm not all the way through, but "highlights" so far include open aggression against the 'Hockey is for Everyone' campaign supporting the LGBTQ community and the Black Lives Matter campaign, a few drunken rants to players where he wasn't able to identify anyone beyond the stars, caustic emails to employees who didn't respond to emails while on holidays or overnight, and weird policies including no more than 10 people on an email chain. And that's just on my first skim, I'm sure there'll be plenty to dissect here, not much of it good for Melnyk or his legacy.

EDIT: and this:

In a summary of findings written in August 2019 and labeled “The Bitter Truth,” Level5 (previously identified in the text as a group commissioned to do a workplace culture review) concluded:

• The Senators as a brand, a business, and a hockey team are facing an existential crisis that threatens the club
  • The business will not improve if it continues to operate in a way it is operating today; substantial change is required in order to accomplish a substantial turnaround
  • Currently, the Senators have no brand; the Eugene Melnyk brand is overwhelming the Senators brand and it is negatively impacting the organization

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Screenshot_20220414-090331~2.png

I'm crying of laughter.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Mendes is the master of the scorched earth rebuild...

"He privately blasted me for this column in December of 2017, in which I suggested the Senators should consider undergoing a rebuild. But if Melnyk didn’t agree with something I said or wrote, he would usually pull me aside and do things privately. I think he legitimately liked and respected me — until he didn’t."

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Another gem:

"My personal relationship with Melnyk reached a breaking point in the spring of 2019 when the club traded Mark Stone to the Vegas Golden Knights. Melnyk was livid with my line of questioning to Pierre Dorion during a radio interview after the trade deadline on TSN 1200. Melnyk believed I was being too harsh and negative about the trade and using my platform to try to embarrass his hockey club."

What like half of the knobs that think it wasn't inevitable?

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
The body isn’t even cold yet damn. Couldn’t wait till the off-season?
It was widely known that this piece was in the works long before Melnyk's passing. I find it hard to fault them for not shelving a piece of public interest that they've been working on for years. This was originally meant to come out in the summer, if memory serves.

Last edited:

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
I'm not all the way through, but "highlights" so far include open aggression against the 'Hockey is for Everyone' campaign supporting the LGBTQ community and the Black Lives Matter campaign, a few drunken rants to players where he wasn't able to identify anyone beyond the stars, caustic emails to employees who didn't respond to emails while on holidays or overnight, and weird policies including no more than 10 people on an email chain. And that's just on my first skim, I'm sure there'll be plenty to dissect here, not much of it good for Melnyk or his legacy.

EDIT: and this:
The article also suggests that he attempted to frame a longtime employee in Barbados (who considered Melnyk to be a father figure) for theft after the employee attempted to move to Canada to take an IT job in Ottawa, which Melnyk apparently perceived as disloyalty.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Really reprehensible behaviour leading to a toxic work culture with the Sens. Not surprising that they have had little success lately.

The article isn’t too shocking for those who are around Ottawa and know people who deal/dealt with the team during that time, but it still brings a few things to light.

Mendes is the master of the scorched earth rebuild...

"He privately blasted me for this column in December of 2017, in which I suggested the Senators should consider undergoing a rebuild. But if Melnyk didn’t agree with something I said or wrote, he would usually pull me aside and do things privately. I think he legitimately liked and respected me — until he didn’t."

Another gem:

"My personal relationship with Melnyk reached a breaking point in the spring of 2019 when the club traded Mark Stone to the Vegas Golden Knights. Melnyk was livid with my line of questioning to Pierre Dorion during a radio interview after the trade deadline on TSN 1200. Melnyk believed I was being too harsh and negative about the trade and using my platform to try to embarrass his hockey club."

What like half of the knobs that think it wasn't inevitable?

I can’t find these quotes in the article can you provide a link? I’d be interested to read more about Mendes’ relationship with the former owner.

Reactions: SoupNazi

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Really reprehensible behaviour leading to a toxic work culture with the Sens. Not surprising that they have had little success lately.

The article isn’t too shocking for those who are around Ottawa and know people who deal/dealt with the team during that time, but it still brings a few things to light.

I can’t find these quotes in the article can you provide a link? I’d be interested to read more about Mendes’ relationship with the former owner.
Not in this article, the poster is trying to change the conversation. That was from Mendes' retrospective on Melnyk immediately post-passing, which you can find here: Mendes: Looking back at Eugene Melnyk's complicated legacy in Ottawa

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The body isn’t even cold yet damn. Couldn’t wait till the off-season?

This article was announced as coming out in 2020 I believe. They clearly delayed it once it became clear that Melnyk was not well.

On the things talked about in the article, none of it is surprising: Melnyk was unstable and had a serious drinking problem.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Keep these bits and pieces coming. What insanity. Almost makes getting an Athletic subscription worth it.
The subscription is definitely worth it when they have the sales, not sure if the 1 dollar a month thing is over yet but they do give some steep discounts at times.

Just looked it up, they are still doing 6 months at $1 a month, The Athletic

Last edited:
Reactions: Dionysus

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
This article was announced as coming out in 2020 I believe. They clearly delayed it once it became clear that Melnyk was not well.

On the things talked about in the article, none of it is surprising: Melnyk was unstable and had a serious drinking problem.

Mendes also mentioned on TSN1200 that many in the media were aware of his declining health and that they kept it quiet out of respect.

I think it’s a pretty safe bet that they held this back while he was facing these issues.

Reactions: bert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad