The End of Savard's Career

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
I was watching a fight vid of McGrattan 1-punching the (very tough) Engelland a few minutes ago and it reminded me of my bad feelings towards Engelland that go back to him ending Savard's career.

Hunwick --wrongly-- gets credited/blamed for ending Savard's career on a hit that was very routine and certainly nothing special. Sure, Savard went off and was done but I believe the real hit that ended Savard's career was from the Penguin the game before and, after the hit from Engelland, a stiff sneeze could have been the end of Savard's career.

Here is the Hunwick "hit":

Then, the night before you have the real (big) hit that ended his career:

I remember watching it live and shaking my head, knowing it was the end of his career.

After a week or so, this thread should go into the general Savard thread but please give it a couple of days of life to remind Bruins fans that it was Cooke then Engelland's hit, not Hunwick that essentially ended Savard's career.

Penguins.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I agree and was at that game and thought Savard was done. That was the body shot that left him ready to get KO'd by the next decent hit.

What a walk down memory lane watching that video though- Horton, Boychuk, Savard, Ryder.....one of those events that seems a life time ago, but also yesterday if you know what I mean.

Arthur*

Watching those clips again, it really strikes me that neither Hunwick nor Engelland's hits were malicious, just routine hockey plays that could happen to anybody. But it was because of Cooke's malicious and unnecessary hit that Savard's brain was susceptible to further concussions from simple hits that would barely sting other players.

Savard's career ending is Cooke's fault just like how Neely's was Ulf's fault, even if in Cam's case it was 5 years later when he hung them up.

Edit: If, as you say, the Engelland hit made it possible for Hunwick's to completely finish him, then the Bruins' training staff has to come under fire for letting Savvy play the next night. How could they not catch that?

Strange Universe

Apr 8, 2009
IMO, the hit that ruined Savard's career is Cooke the ****er!

This player should never have been allowed to play in the NHL once they knew what he was up to.

Nevertheless, the other hits afterwards were all hits that made Savard's life and hockey play more miserable.

Just wishing him lots of health and the least amount of bad days possible.

Good luck!

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
IMO, the hit that ruined Savard's career is Cooke the ****er!

This player should never have been allowed to play in the NHL once they knew what he was up to.

Nevertheless, the other hits afterwards were all hits that made Savard's life and hockey play more miserable.

Just wishing him lots of health and the least amount of bad days possible.

Good luck!

I still miss seeing Savvy . He was so much fun to watch.

I will ALWAYS hate cooke who is to blame for ending Savvy's career and messing up his life.

FU cooke

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
So, the Penguins are evil (especially Engelland) and conspired to end Savard's career ? I see.
Anyway, the Pittsburgh game was 7 full days prior to the Colorado game, and Savard played 3 games in between.

Who authorized him to play ?

Last edited:

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Cooke 98% and Engelland 2% in my books. Both were dirty and predatory, knowing the outcome but still went for it. But Cooke is Cooke, forever trash.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Cooke and Engelland's hits were contributing factors but prior to the Cooke hit, Savard had already sustained at least 5 other concussions and at least one of them from his Rangers days, was significant.It's easy to point fingers at Cooke, Engelland and Hunwick but you simply can't ignore his previous history as well as his role.

He lied about being ok after the Cooke hit and came back far too soon. The same with Engelland. He never went to the quiet room according to his interviews afterwards. He very well could have done the same things after each of his previous concussions.

It's not a popular opinion to have on this board but Savard's career ending was not because of Matt Cooke or Engelland. He played a part in it as did his prior concussion history.

I'm going to get flamed but I'm sick of people not looking at the entire picture when it comes to the demise of his career.

Last edited:

hollafamer

Jan 24, 2011
One of my fav bruins. What he help accomplish here should not go unnoticed he is living proof that players can average above a pt a game in this system. His passing was so far ahead of anyone in the nhl absolute pleasure to watch sad he didn't get to end his career the right way.

But quick question what the deal with his contract when would it officially come off the books?

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
Cooke and Engelland's hits were contributing factors but prior to the Cooke hit, Savard had already sustained at least 5 other concussions and at least one of them from his Rangers days, was significant.It's easy to point fingers at Cooke, Engelland and Hunwick but you simply can't ignore his previous history as well as his role.

He lied about being ok after the Cooke hit and came back far too soon. The same with Engelland. He never went to the quiet room according to his interviews afterwards. He very well could have done the same things after each of his previous concussions.

It's not a popular opinion to have on this board but Savard's career ending was not because of Matt Cooke or Engelland. He played a part in it as did his prior concussion history.

I'm going to get flamed but I'm sick of people not looking at the entire picture when it comes to the demise of his career.
Cooke's hit was one which would've jeopardized anyone's career so I don't let him off the hook. The factors which played into Savard's problems after, as well as Bergeron's recovery after the Randy Jones hit, don't change the act. It was malicious and served no purpose other than to harm Savard.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Cooke's hit was one which would've jeopardized anyone's career so I don't let him off the hook. The factors which played into Savard's problems after, as well as Bergeron's recovery after the Randy Jones hit, don't change the act. It was malicious and served no purpose other than to harm Savard.

I never let him off the hook. Just pointing out his hit isn't the only contributing factor to the end of his career.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Matt Cooke.

But also the Penguins more generally.

Has there been a team in the NHL that has fielded more despicable players in recent years? Bortuzzo being the latest example. Brooks Orpik before him. Matt Cooke too. All of them.

I say we recruit Jordan Tootoo just so we can watch him beat Bortuzzo's ass a few more times.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
5 years later I remember exactly where I was when the Cooke hit happened.

Savard is one of the biggest 'What if's in Bruins history. On one hand if he is healthy they don't blow the 3-0 lead vs Philadelphia in 2010. ( Could they have beaten Chicago in the SCF with him? ) But would they have won the Cup in 2011 with him as a full time player?

I'm glad they made sure his name is on Stanley.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Bortuzzo being the latest example. Brooks Orpik before him. Matt Cooke too. All of them.

I say we recruit Jordan Tootoo just so we can watch him beat Bortuzzo's ass a few more times.

That dirty Bortuzzo hit on Jagr would have made Ulfie and Kasparaitis proud.

Central Scrutinizer

Lord of Song
Jan 6, 2010
montreal
I remember Savard not missing much action(games) after the Engelland hit. i remember being surprised that he was playing so soon. i believe the hunwick hit came a couple of games later. Savard should not have been playing.

i think the bruins treated it poorly.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

Since Marc has said the cooke hit is the one that ended his career I would believe him. He would know.

wetcamelfood

Aug 19, 2007
In hindsight, I do wonder why the Bs let Savy play in the Flyers series as he clearly wasn't ready. Yes, he scored the overtime goal in game 1 but it wasn't a special play, he just threw it toward the net from the halfwall on a rebound and it was Leighton in goal. He was invisible the rest of the series.

As for Cooke, I remember Savy saying he would pick his time to deal with Cooke. Maybe he assumed he'd have more time to choose his moment on the ice but for a guy that loved the game so much and having this guy take his dream job away from his life, I keep waiting for the day we get a news report about Savy going to Cooke's house one summer afternoon and challenging him to a fight on his front lawn.

Strange Universe

Apr 8, 2009
In hindsight, I do wonder why the Bs let Savy play in the Flyers series as he clearly wasn't ready. Yes, he scored the overtime goal in game 1 but it wasn't a special play, he just threw it toward the net from the halfwall on a rebound and it was Leighton in goal. He was invisible the rest of the series.

As for Cooke, I remember Savy saying he would pick his time to deal with Cooke. Maybe he assumed he'd have more time to choose his moment on the ice but for a guy that loved the game so much and having this guy take his dream job away from his life, I keep waiting for the day we get a news report about Savy going to Cooke's house one summer afternoon and challenging him to a fight on his front lawn.

Maybe Savvy should call Jax from SOA.....:) The tought is "charming" ain't it!;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad