Player Discussion: The Elvis Thread

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I understand the here and now and that he's better than what they have but they're GM will need weigh that with the rest of his contract
I think that is obvious but top goalies don't grow on trees. I believe Elvis is signed 1 year longer than Vanecek. I don't see it happening unless Columbus retains a good bit. I'm not sure NJ is a good trade partner for Columbus at this moment.

Look, I've been an Elvis supporter longer than most here but the amount of times he gets sick during the season is unfathomable. Either there is something getting covered up or he has an underlying health issue that needs to be taken care of.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I think that is obvious but top goalies don't grow on trees. I believe Elvis is signed 1 year longer than Vanecek. I don't see it happening unless Columbus retains a good bit. I'm not sure NJ is a good trade partner for Columbus at this moment.

Look, I've been an Elvis supporter longer than most here but the amount of times he gets sick during the season is unfathomable. Either there is something getting covered up or he has an underlying health issue that needs to be taken care of.

You cannot rule out something permanent such as Crohn’s disease, either.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
The local radio folks were talking about how Elvis always gets sick today. They brought up Derek Dooley and the Tennessee football team.

This is about the nicest thing they said about the Jackets today.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Looks like the language barrier excuse is out the window….

It’s been easy to see for A LONG TIME.

Unbelievable contract and commitment to a player/goalie.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

While some of this and maybe all of this may be true here is what I take away.

A former teammate or new reporter wants to make a news story and speaks in generalizations without actually quoting specific events because they don't want to deal with specifically slanderous or libelous accusations.

It's a like a news story without any actual real news. I'm also not surprised bus's spidey sense for Elvis trash talk went off for him throw in his .02.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Seems like there has always been a lot of drama surrounding him.
Now I think with a lot of goalies there is a lot of drama, but if they are successful then it's easier to look past them.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Elvis has his issues, but this reporting is bordering on ridiculous. It's not reporting, it is click bait.
We are going to put stock in one player (of whom most of us have never heard) making vague claims about Elvis being entitled/immature (or something like that) and that such behavior happened in the U18 tournament - which is at least 11 years ago, if not longer?
I don't like the Elvis contract either, but this is lame.

"A former Elvis Merzlikins teammate, Rihards Cimmermanis recently said in a podcast that he believes Merzlikins isn't a "team player." The quotes were originally reported here."

In the Latvian podcast, Cimmermanis says,

"I've known Elvi since childhood because we played together from the age of about 12," revealed Cimmermanis. "We played together for about three years. Even then he had behavioral problems. I won't say anything out loud, but he was and is an interesting person. There have been incidents in the U18, U20 championships

Reactions: Viqsi

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Elvis has his issues, but this reporting is bordering on ridiculous. It's not reporting, it is click bait.
We are going to put stock in one player (of whom most of us have never heard) making vague claims about Elvis being entitled/immature (or something like that) and that such behavior happened in the U18 tournament - which is at least 11 years ago, if not longer?
I don't like the Elvis contract either, but this is lame.

"A former Elvis Merzlikins teammate, Rihards Cimmermanis recently said in a podcast that he believes Merzlikins isn't a "team player." The quotes were originally reported here."

In the Latvian podcast, Cimmermanis says,
FWIW I would have preferred a nice watch over a stupid cup that will collect dust on a shelf too in the single event called out in the article.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Disregarding the article, to me it was pretty telling when they started pushing Tarasov out there that there were deeper issues with Elvis. You just don't start sitting a guy you are paying a pile of money to, and had showed improvement over the previous bad year. I think it goes back to last season when he had voiced his opinion on the power play, to this year throwing the new goalie coach under the bus, to making the comments about which goals were his fault, and which ones weren't. I don't remember his team mates calling him out for his bad play last year. Now, here we are with the backup, once again, outplaying him behind the same crappy defense.

I feel he has said more that hasn't got out, and the team just soured on him.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Disregarding the article, to me it was pretty telling when they started pushing Tarasov out there that there were deeper issues with Elvis. You just don't start sitting a guy you are paying a pile of money to, and had showed improvement over the previous bad year. I think it goes back to last season when he had voiced his opinion on the power play, to this year throwing the new goalie coach under the bus, to making the comments about which goals were his fault, and which ones weren't. I don't remember his team mates calling him out for his bad play last year. Now, here we are with the backup, once again, outplaying him behind the same crappy defense.

I feel he has said more that hasn't got out, and the team just soured on him.
Probably true. Jarmo was definitely pushing Tarasov to be the guy hoping he could deliver. If you look at just the last month he seems to be doing that but at the time he was pushed to the forefront you could certainly say he wasn't deserving at the time.

I have no clue what is going on but I also don't care that much. It might be me but if you don't want to get called out for sucking maybe you shouldn't suck. I think part of this is Elvis tells it like it is. He has confidence in himself and he's had times where he hasn't backed it up. He also admits when he's at fault. I respect that.

As it has been said, teams will tend to overlook it if they are playing well but this whole team has issues and might be extra sensitive to their own fault about their own deficiencies. Everyone should just do their damn job and shut up, including the coaches. In a league where players get paid millions you should be professional whether you like a teammate or not. In a team that plays this poorly every single one of them is to blame.

This applies to everybody and I'm just about ready to turn over most of the roster to start over.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Monstershockey

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think Gaudreau's comments about how much they love playing for Tarasov (the less talented goalie) were really telling. I'd guess that Gaudreau knew how that would reflect on Elvis when he said it. These guys don't want to play for Elvis. He's needed a change of scenery for years for multiple reasons, I hope that now after a decent season statistically that we see a deal. If we have to retain a lot, so be it.

This applies to everybody and I'm just about ready to turn over most of the roster to start over.

It feels like we just did that, and that excessive turnover is a part of the current problem. I think you should just identify at most a few players that need to be moved.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I think Gaudreau's comments about how much they love playing for Tarasov (the less talented goalie) were really telling. I'd guess that Gaudreau knew how that would reflect on Elvis when he said it. These guys don't want to play for Elvis. He's needed a change of scenery for years for multiple reasons, I hope that now after a decent season statistically that we see a deal. If we have to retain a lot, so be it.

It feels like we just did that, and that excessive turnover is a part of the current problem. I think you should just identify at most a few players that need to be moved.
That may be true but I'll counter with these guys should be playing for themselves and for the team. I find it shitty that they would not play hard for one guy over another. As Herb Brooks said in Miracle (I don't know if he said this or anything like it in real life), "The name of on the front of the jersey as a hell of a lot more important than the one on the back."

I know that is entirely too much to ask from millionaires that care more about their paychecks than winning but its how I wish it would be. It's also why I couldn't give a sh*t about major college sports these days. It has nothing to do with the team and all about "me" and what can the school or team do for "me"

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
While some of this and maybe all of this may be true here is what I take away.

A former teammate or new reporter wants to make a news story and speaks in generalizations without actually quoting specific events because they don't want to deal with specifically slanderous or libelous accusations.

It's a like a news story without any actual real news. I'm also not surprised bus's spidey sense for Elvis trash talk went off for him throw in his .02.
It’s this guy, apparent issues with the current group of guys, AND it was reported and I believe there were comments from Foligno (or was it Atkinson?) how the “leadership group” back then had some sort of issues with with him.

You could tell the on ice body language between him and the team has NEVER been right. Some people can notice it, others can not.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Probably true. Jarmo was definitely pushing Tarasov to be the guy hoping he could deliver. If you look at just the last month he seems to be doing that but at the time he was pushed to the forefront you could certainly say he wasn't deserving at the time.

I have no clue what is going on but I also don't care that much. It might be me but if you don't want to get called out for sucking maybe you shouldn't suck. I think part of this is Elvis tells it like it is. He has confidence in himself and he's had times where he hasn't backed it up. He also admits when he's at fault. I respect that.

As it has been said, teams will tend to overlook it if they are playing well but this whole team has issues and might be extra sensitive to their own fault about their own deficiencies. Everyone should just do their damn job and shut up, including the coaches. In a league where players get paid millions you should be professional whether you like a teammate or not. In a team that plays this poorly every single one of them is to blame.

giphy.gif

The problem with your argument and defense of Elvis is that he has sucked just as much as anybody, has as big of an impact on the cap and the teams performance (losses) as anybody, AND runs his mouth MORE than anybody else….

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It’s this guy, apparent issues with the current group of guys, AND it was reported and I believe there were comments from Foligno (or was it Atkinson?) how the “leadership group” back then had some sort of issues with with him.

You could tell the on ice body language between him and the team has NEVER been right. Some people can notice it, others can not.

It's never been hard to tell with Elvis.

What's really weird is that you think Sean Kuraly of all players has a disconnect with his teammates. As far as I can tell they all love the guy and you're out to lunch.

Reactions: Derby

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
It's never been hard to tell with Elvis.

What's really weird is that you think Sean Kuraly of all players has a disconnect with his teammates. As far as I can tell they all love the guy and you're out to lunch.
Let’s not act like people haven’t perceived Elvis as this lovable (and sometimes “misunderstood”) dude for a very long time.

Kuraly 100% isn’t the type of “attitude” you want having any sort of substantial “leadership” type role. Or ANY role IMO. There’s been plenty of times where his body language is overly negative directed towards other teammates, when he is just as much or more guilty. He very well may not be as vocal or “arrogant” as Elvis, but I’ve seen enough red flags. It’s a different energy than a Dubinsky or Dorsett. It’s simply not positive.

I also simply think his overall defensive game (and the things the team need out of him) is severely overrated and his cap hit is way too high and his ability is looked at ridiculously favorably and HE overall is a detriment.

It’s obviously a completely different dynamic than with a (starting and/or “high paid”) goalie. That said, I would be interested in anyone’s personal experiences they’ve had with Kuraly around Columbus, I’m willing to bet most people didn’t like his personality.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Kuraly 100% isn’t the type of “attitude” you want having any sort of substantial “leadership” type role. Or ANY role IMO. There’s been plenty of times where his body language is overly negative directed towards other teammates, when he is just as much or more guilty. He very well may not be as vocal or “arrogant” as Elvis, but I’ve seen enough red flags. It’s a different energy than a Dubinsky or Dorsett. It’s simply not positive.

I also simply think his overall defensive game (and the things the team need out of him) is severely overrated and his cap hit is way too high and his ability is looked at ridiculously favorably and HE overall is a detriment.

It’s obviously a completely different dynamic than with a (starting and/or “high paid”) goalie. That said, I would be interested in anyone’s personal experiences they’ve had with Kuraly around Columbus, I’m willing to bet most people didn’t like his personality.

You're just imagining that based on a few instances of Kuraly getting exasperated with teammates on the ice. We've seen that with Gudbranson too. It doesn't mean they can't talk it over later and then get back to business.

Reactions: NotCommitted

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

What a horseshit article.

Dubinsky? The selfish dude nobody likes?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
You're just imagining that based on a few instances of Kuraly getting exasperated with teammates on the ice. We've seen that with Gudbranson too. It doesn't mean they can't talk it over later and then get back to business.
Yeah but there's one big difference between Kuraly and Gudbranson in this context.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020

i know there was a comment in another thread about hedger's use of quotations around "maintenance" in this tweet about elvis. a few things about that:
  • hedger is a clown (obviously) but i don't think he was off-base here
  • the initial reports (from other writers) were that elvis was ill
  • the team has, multiple times this season, initially said "illness" and the later said "upper body injury" – not saying that's the case here, but it's strange enough to note
more importantly, elvis misses a LOT of time due to illness. looking at his injury history log he has missed time seven (!!!) times in the last two years due to illness.
  • 10/12/22 - Illness
  • 11/15/22 - Lower body
  • 12/20/22 - Illness
  • 1/12/23 - Illness
  • 3/7/23 - Illness
  • 3/10/23 - Leg
  • 10/14/23 - Illness
  • 12/6/23 - Illness
  • 12/29/23 - Illness
  • 3/4/24 - Upper body
  • reportedly sick again yesterday forcing an emergency recall of greaves
if he misses today's game that would mark EIGHT times in two years which is frankly insane for a professional athlete. assuming he's not faking to get out of work (relatable tbh) there are only two logical explanations:
  1. he never learned how to wash his hands, or
  2. his immune system is so weak that i genuinely would be worried that he has some kind of autoimmune disorder

Cujorulesdtown9

More Blue Pants
Sep 9, 2007
Michigan
Obviously it can go to 50 different things we can speculate on, but could he have gotten whatever jenner has? I mean, he looked fine after the game. The "we will re-evaluate after his maintinance day" is just very weird sounding. But this illness, or whatever he is dealing with is fairly concerning. Is there another goalie getting that ill, that often?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad