News Article: The ELITE 10 minute or less club

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I've read a lot about our bottom 6 on here lately. It is a very interesting topic to be honest. A lot of Fire Tipp. I'm, amazingly, not on that wagon. I would give him the season to figure it out. I WISH Holland was fired before the offseason with cap space and Chia contracts all gone. I think he 'Chia'd' us and set us back. If a new GM comes in he'd have the same list Holland had 3 years ago:

Need a goalie
Need bottom 6
Need a 3C
Need better D
Need to sign JP
Need to wait for the previous GM's (Holland) crappy contracts (and buyouts) to clear

Nonetheless, it's too late for that now too.

I don't think any player can succeed playing under 10 minutes a night.

So here is our 10 minutes or less club:

upload_2021-12-11_11-43-11.png

Benson = 6:57 (Chia)
Perlini = 7:33 (Holland)
Turris = 8:07 (Holland)
Shore = 8:28 (Holland)
Scevior = 9:29 (Holland)
Koekoek = 9:48 (Holland)

2 Goals and 4 assists for the entire crew. A combined minus 22.

We have 4 guys averaging less than 8 and a half minutes a night! 5 of the 6 were acquired by Holland. 3 of them are on 1 way contracts for 2 years. Turris, Shore and KK. All Holland signings.

It is true that all 6 contracts could be buried in the AHL. However, it is not even Christmas yet and we are already talking about burying contracts in the AHL? What does that say about the guy signing these contracts?

So let's look at the rest of the NHL. Here are the absolute best players playing under 10 minutes a night:

upload_2021-12-11_11-47-15.png

Notice that 2 Oilers are on the list.

To me this means we need to trade for Toninato, Kostin and Howden. They are ELITE sub 10 minute players.

Or Tipp needs to even out the lines and play our bottom 6 more because NO ONE is good at playing less than 10 minutes a night. A second PP unit might not hurt either!

Or Holland needs to get better bottom 6 players (for the third straight season) so Tipp will play them more as he clearly doesn't trust these guys.

Back to less than 9 minutes. Only 14 players in the NHL have gotten at least one point this season playing less than 9 minutes. We have 4 guys doing that.

upload_2021-12-11_11-51-7.png

Turns out Turris and Shore are ELITE players at playing less than 9 minutes a game. Top 7! We already have some of the best sub 9 minute players in the entire NHL.

On the other end:

Drai and McD lead the league in forwards minutes. RNH is 11th in minutes on the forward list. Nurse is 3rd overall amongst Dmen. Which also makes him third in the entire NHL.

It is completely normal in Oil country to end a game and see a Dman with 30 minutes and another Dman with 8. A forward with over 25 minutes and another forward with 6. It will probably happen tonight.

All of these players were here before Holland arrived. I know our record (and PP) is beautiful. However, we are being carried by a PP and some very elite forwards that were already part of the team.

We play every game like it is game 7. Shorten our bench and double shift our best players. I have no idea how that creates team chemistry? I have no idea how anyone could step up when the injuries pile up?

I'd like to see a much tighter cluster of minutes. Top forward around 20 and bottom forward around 12. Top D around 22 and bottom D around 14.

As a parting thought.. here were the minutes for our Game 4 elimination against the Jets:

upload_2021-12-11_12-28-11.png

Needs more Klima!

Attachments

• upload_2021-12-11_11-42-23.png
    upload_2021-12-11_11-42-23.png
    50.2 KB · Views: 1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad