News Article: The Edmonton Oilers' coaching carousel terminus

Lord Byron

Oct 2, 2007
The Oilers are an organization in desperate need of coaching stability. The coaching carousel has to stop at some point, because good teams don’t hire a new head coach every season.
A good look at the dismal year that was 2013-14 and how having new assistants that he likely had a hand in hiring will prove beneficial to Eakins and the Oilers.

The Edmonton Oilers' coaching carousel terminus

SPIRIT

Mar 12, 2014
Our coaching is about as proven as our 2C; hopefully we find success in either camp this year.

Cautious optimism.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
not a news report it is a blog report

we have a news and blog report prefix here--please start using it and trying to pass your self off as a legit news source--your a friggen blog

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
I think the coaching carousel is sort of a phony excuse to be quite frank. I think it exempts management from liability of not finding a superior option. I also think it shows that management hasn't done a very good job during the hiring process to find a suitable coach. That being said, the new coach will always be an unknowable variable until you've seen them in the act.

IMO Good coaches make the best of what they have, guiding and teaching players. Poor coaches try to tinker/change players until they're broke. (Not saying players don't need to improve aspects of their game).

I am of the belief that good coaches don't grow on trees and it can be a bumpy road searching for the right one. The coaches who are good seem to have positive impacts fairly quickly. Maybe not significant but positive (IMO Krueger was the one that got away, he had the right tools in his toolbox to be a good coach, despite some strange ideas here and there).

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I think the coaching carousel is sort of a phony excuse to be quite frank. I think it exempts management from liability of not finding a superior option. I also think it shows that management hasn't done a very good job during the hiring process to find a suitable coach. That being said, the new coach will always be an unknowable variable until you've seen them in the act.

IMO Good coaches make the best of what they have, guiding and teaching players. Poor coaches try to tinker/change players until they're broke. (Not saying players don't need to improve aspects of their game).

I am of the belief that good coaches don't grow on trees and it can be a bumpy road searching for the right one. The coaches who are good seem to have positive impacts fairly quickly. Maybe not significant but positive (IMO Krueger was the one that got away, he had the right tools in his toolbox to be a good coach, despite some strange ideas here and there).

This.

A good coach can take a weak group of players and do wonders.

Mots of our roster has been hailed as NHL worthy and a lot of potential. Even guys like Belanger and Eager were solid NHLers before they came to Edmonton.

This to me suggests coaching is one of the biggest problems our organization faces. Especially now that our roster has improved so much and our players are finally entering their prime... More and more focus needs to be shifted to the coach and if it is not working I do not care how many coaches we go through as long as we eventually get one that works.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Coaching stability doesn't trump coaching competency. NHL players are big boys who get paid a lot of money to be professionals, they can handle several changes if it means getting someone who knows what he's doing in charge.

You don't keep around people who are disasters at their job either, or shouldn't anyways. But then again it's the NHL after all, where failure is routinely rewarded by franchises; the Oilers being a standout performer of that practice.

Lord Byron

Oct 2, 2007
not a news report it is a blog report

we have a news and blog report prefix here--please start using it and trying to pass your self off as a legit news source--your a friggen blog

Tough crowd. Won't tout my credentials and will just say thanks for the tip, chief.

Coaching stability doesn't trump coaching competency. NHL players are big boys who get paid a lot of money to be professionals, they can handle several changes if it means getting someone who knows what he's doing in charge.

You don't keep around people who are disasters at their job either, or shouldn't anyways. But then again it's the NHL after all, where failure is routinely rewarded by franchises; the Oilers being a standout performer of that practice.

Of course not. You fire them, then bring them back a few years later to take on an elevated role. I assume Kevin Lowe will be shown the door and Tambellini will return to take over as president of hockey ops by summer 2016. ;)

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Tough crowd. Won't tout my credentials and will just say thanks for the tip, chief.

Of course not. You fire them, then bring them back a few years later to take on an elevated role. I assume Kevin Lowe will be shown the door and Tambellini will return to take over as president of hockey ops by summer 2016. ;)

i have creds and a blog as well--and when my blog that is not linked to a news site people use the blog pre-fix blog

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
i have creds and a blog as well--and when my blog that is not linked to a news site people use the blog pre-fix blog

At least give people credit for being able to differentiate between news and a blog here JTS. We aren't stupid. Does it really make an impact on your life that the "News" prefix was used instead of a blog prefix.

Sheesh.

@ the OP.

Good summary of the current coaching issues in this organization. Hopefully some stability will help.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
There is a very fine line between news articles and blogs IMO.

If you take news as an educated and responsible source that reports facts... I think you are potentially setting yourself up as a fool.

Blogs are slightly more for entertainment and depending on the situation may well have more facts and insight than what you can get from a news source.

I am always surprised by how ordinary most professionals intellects are, and how often being a professional doesn't really translate into actually being professional. It all boils down to the almighty dollar. And news isn't even in the realm of professionalism.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
There is a very fine line between news articles and blogs IMO.

If you take news as an educated and responsible source that reports facts... I think you are potentially setting yourself up as a fool.

Blogs are slightly more for entertainment and depending on the situation may well have more facts and insight than what you can get from a news source.

I am always surprised by how ordinary most professionals intellects are, and how often being a professional doesn't really translate into actually being professional. It all boils down to the almighty dollar. And news isn't even in the realm of professionalism.

I agree with this.... however, even though its a fine line I would rather people use the proper labeling. If you write a blog use blog. If your positing a link from the Sun or Journal use News Article.

I'll give my reasons why i feel this way...

You look at the Trade Rumors/Proposals forum, people use speculation label constantly to make trade proposals. It becomes very confusing when sorting through that forum. To me speculation would be discussing a certain known situation and discussing a possible scneario based on known facts. "Would the Oilers trade J. Schultz if the Oilers can't sign him" is a good example of the specualtion label IMO. Would the Oilers trade J. Schultz for Shea Weber is not speculation, it's a trade proposal. The info and discussion within theses threads are completely different.

I think blogs and news articles should be treated the same.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

10-4.
Kruger was the one that deserved the extra rope. Eakins might work out, but he not only cost them last season by November, he cost them fan buy-in and patience. Fewer fans believe in this rebuild and even fewer are willing to waste any more seasons, waiting for 18 year olds.

The decision to have coaching continuity should have come, probably, with Renney, but certainly Kruger.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
At least give people credit for being able to differentiate between news and a blog here JTS. We aren't stupid. Does it really make an impact on your life that the "News" prefix was used instead of a blog prefix.

Sheesh.

@ the OP.

Good summary of the current coaching issues in this organization. Hopefully some stability will help.

Lol. Good one. As usual, Dor, u puts things into perspective.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
We NEED stability in the head coaching position. Unfortunately, fans will always want the guys head.

I love the we should of kept Kruger crowd. I love how people forget how he was called Wreck it Ralph for a reason and people wanted him gone.

Also, people wanted Renney gone. Whoops. Pat Quinn. Yep. MacT as coach. For sure. How many coaches is that since 08-09? Five. That's horrible.

Here's the rational thing: give Eakins a chance in only his second season before you run the guy out of town based on he looks (because yeah, there are people who want him gone based on how his hair is.).

So why give Eakins a chance in year 2?
People say he's egotistical and arrogant. Up to a point, i'll agree. The mistakes he made, were pretty apparent, and there's no point in beating a dead horse.

That said, he's willing to admit mistakes and he's seemingly working hard to fix those mistakes. Looking outside the organization (and stop with the stupid he should of gone to another franchise). Another big plus is the new cast of assistant coaches. People wanted (see a pattern here?) Buchy and Smith gone, and they got their chance but yet, they want the Head Coach gone still. Forget seeing results, he needs to be turfed now.

However, if year two is just as putrid as year one, then yeah, go ahead. Get the pitchforks out. Make a billboard. Add Fire Eakins under your user name. But lets face it; all that is gonna happen regardless. People don't like the P word and unfortunately, that's what's needed to see how year 2 of Dallas Eakins and the Edmonton Oilers will go.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I like our current set up. We have consistency by keeping Eakins, but we brought in meaningful change as well by replacing both Buchy and Smith. Ramsay seems like an assistant that Eakins will respect more, and will actual take some direction from him time to time.

And of course, our commitment to consistency has a limit. Ramsay has experience as an interim coach, and I see no reason that MacT would be loyal to Eakins at the expense of the team.

And btw, I was sold on keeping Eakins after the player exit interviews. I remember Hall and Eberle saying that they were glad that Eakins was staying. You can say that they have to say that but I disagree. If they really wanted Eakins gone they could have just shut up about the issue. As long as a coach still has the respect of the players there will be a chance that they can succeed.

Lord Byron

Oct 2, 2007

Sheesh.

@ the OP.

Thanks. Steve's a really good writer with a great sense of humor. And I appreciate you doling out the chill pills to JTS. Wasn't trying to mislead anyone.

I think Ramsay could be a really good influence in Edmonton. He got a raw deal in Atlanta with the slate being wiped clean when they headed off to Winnipeg. I mean, if you were behind the bench for Ondrej Pavelec's only respectable NHL season (.914 Sv%), you probably did something right.

If Geoff Ward had resigned sooner in Boston this summer, I'd almost guarantee the Bruins would've brought back Ramsay as an assistant, scooping him up before the Oilers did.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
We NEED stability in the head coaching position. Unfortunately, fans will always want the guys head.

I love the we should of kept Kruger crowd. I love how people forget how he was called Wreck it Ralph for a reason and people wanted him gone.

Also, people wanted Renney gone. Whoops. Pat Quinn. Yep. MacT as coach. For sure. How many coaches is that since 08-09? Five. That's horrible.

Here's the rational thing: give Eakins a chance in only his second season before you run the guy out of town based on he looks (because yeah, there are people who want him gone based on how his hair is.).

So why give Eakins a chance in year 2?
People say he's egotistical and arrogant. Up to a point, i'll agree. The mistakes he made, were pretty apparent, and there's no point in beating a dead horse.

That said, he's willing to admit mistakes and he's seemingly working hard to fix those mistakes. Looking outside the organization (and stop with the stupid he should of gone to another franchise). Another big plus is the new cast of assistant coaches. People wanted (see a pattern here?) Buchy and Smith gone, and they got their chance but yet, they want the Head Coach gone still. Forget seeing results, he needs to be turfed now.

However, if year two is just as putrid as year one, then yeah, go ahead. Get the pitchforks out. Make a billboard. Add Fire Eakins under your user name. But lets face it; all that is gonna happen regardless. People don't like the P word and unfortunately, that's what's needed to see how year 2 of Dallas Eakins and the Edmonton Oilers will go.

Agree that Eakins deserves a second year, or at least 30 games. But, the rational for awarding him a 2nd year, after maybe the worst NHL debut ever witnessed, should have been granted to Kruger. Say what you want about Ralph, he wasn't anywhere near as bad as Eakins' first year.

I still say Eakins could work out. But he is damn lucky he got hired into the only circumstance conceivable where he would not get skidded after that debut.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Thanks. Steve's a really good writer with a great sense of humor. And I appreciate you doling out the chill pills to JTS. Wasn't trying to mislead anyone.

I think Ramsay could be a really good influence in Edmonton. He got a raw deal in Atlanta with the slate being wiped clean when they headed off to Winnipeg. I mean, if you were behind the bench for Ondrej Pavelec's only respectable NHL season (.914 Sv%), you probably did something right.

If Geoff Ward had resigned sooner in Boston this summer, I'd almost guarantee the Bruins would've brought back Ramsay as an assistant, scooping him up before the Oilers did.

For clarity the reaction is due to the countless "HFB Partners" threads that spam this site on a regular basis and that aren't worth reading.

So in that sense describing something as "news" vs just another thread gets people to click on it, which is what "Partners" seem to want.

I should be a "partner" I'd bump the ratings, I always do..:laugh:

ps The cited article is little more than a puff piece. As is perfectly befitting this typical "partners" pablum.

pps In my next post I'll tell you what I really think..

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Nothing, but I really hope we do

Craig MacTavish fired in 2009
Pat Quinn fired in 2010
Tom Renney fired in 2012
Ralph Krueger fired in ?

Hmm. I'm sensing a pattern here.

Maybe I am in "over-reaction" mode right now, but still...

I think Krueger is in over his head. He's a nice guy and all but I don't think that he has enough experience and knowledge to be coaching a NHL team. His main accomplishments are having success with Feldkirch and having an ok run with teh Swiss national team... From that point on he's done nothing to deserve being the head coach of a NHL team.

It's true that this could be considered "retrospective wisdom" but I don't care. I've been giving him a pass for a while but I'm done with it. It's time to cut the cord and try again with someone who has had experience with a NHL team (or preferably NHL teams).

Not really.

Krueger's bench management has been near amateurish and he's shown no sign of learning from his mistakes.

He looks very little like an NHL coach and looks even less like a coach who fits this team's make-up.

I never really liked MacT because of how defensive minded of a coach he was but he did make this team competitive through all of those years of us having a mediocre squad. I really liked how he wasn't afraid to light a fire under the teams *** and bag skate them. I just can't imagine Kreuger being that type of a coach, too lenient and too much like Renney.

Time for a bump on this thread. When last seen people were effusive with how much has changed now that Kreuger is benching players, changing losing culture, and leading the club to the promised land.

I recall saying nothing has changed. That the benching are only indication of problems getting anything done with communication and that they suggest that a new coach is already grasping straws.

How quickly its come to this. Ryan Whitney has been benched 4 times. In the most recent game so Einstein could put together a pairing of Fistric, and Peckham. Quite possibly the slowest moving D pair in the league. As if by intervention of deserved karma Fistric gets beat like a rented mule on the tying goal on a NOTHING play that any normal D would be able to easily contain to the outside. Soon as that GA happens, and how shockingly easy Fistric allowed the walk in and tying goal, heads are sagging on the bench. The game isn't lost yet on the scoreboard, but it is lost.

This weeks Gem from Kreuger: "The coaching moments are occurring after loses. The players are listening after losses."

Wait, hold on, wait a minute...so let me get this straight, a brand new coach(what else is new) is already being tuned out by the players on the team who are only interested in coachable moments after they lose....

You're kidding me. Or killing me..

Time to start reading the riot act. Don't think Kreuger has it in him. His stated plan was to give team days off after a bad game to let them get over the bad taste of a loss. Still can't believe he even believed in that let alone speak it out loud to a noted bunch of underperformers.

So now the nice guy coach has painted himself into a corner after 16games, with the club in a tailspin and sites firmly set on last place. We haven't crashed and burned yet but an unscheduled *landing* is impending.

What a mess this is.

I have zero faith right now in how this team is being led.

This is from a single Krueger thread. Yeah, he totally was going to get a second chance. I like how some people are saying we should of kept Krueger, when they were leading the way to fire him.

Ralph was down right ****ed if he stayed here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad