The Draft Analyst Podcast: Team-by-Team 2020 Draft Recaps

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
These will be far shorter than the previews (30-45 mins each) but I break down pick after pick for each team and give them a grade, albeit a gut feeling and nothing definitive. I know some of you had issues with the picks so hopefully I can make sense of each one. I'm also on Soundcloud and Spotify (among others, I guess)

Anaheim Ducks: ‎The Draft Analyst Podcast: Draft Analyst Podcast (Episode 95) - Anaheim Ducks 2020 Draft Recap - 10:15:20, 12.48 PM on Apple Podcasts

Arizona Coyotes: ‎The Draft Analyst Podcast: Draft Analyst Podcast (Episode 96) - Arizona Coyotes 2020 Draft Recap - 10:15:20, 1.30 PM on Apple Podcasts

Boston Bruins: ‎The Draft Analyst Podcast: Draft Analyst Podcast (Episode 97) - Boston Bruins 2020 Draft Recap - 10:15:20, 2.32 PM on Apple Podcasts

Buffalo Sabres: ‎The Draft Analyst Podcast: Draft Analyst Podcast (Episode 98) - Buffalo Sabres 2020 Draft Recap - 10:16:20, 12.14 PM on Apple Podcasts

Calgary Flames: ‎The Draft Analyst Podcast: Draft Analyst Podcast (Episode 99) - Calgary Flames 2020 Draft Recap - 10:16:20, 1.57 PM on Apple Podcasts

Carolina Hurricanes: ‎The Draft Analyst Podcast: Draft Analyst Podcast (Episode 100) - Carolina Hurricanes 2020 Draft Recap - 10:16:20, 5.15 PM on Apple Podcasts

Chicago Blackhawks: ‎The Draft Analyst Podcast: Draft Analyst Podcast (Episode 101) - Chicago Blackhawks 2020 Draft Recap - 10:16:20, 6.27 PM on Apple Podcasts

Colorado Avalanche: ‎The Draft Analyst Podcast: Draft Analyst Podcast (Episode 102) - Colorado Avalanche 2020 Draft Recap - 10:20:20, 3.03 PM on Apple Podcasts

Columbus Blue Jackets: ‎The Draft Analyst Podcast: Draft Analyst Podcast (Episode 103) - Columbus Blue Jackets 2020 Draft Recap - 10:20:20, 3.54 PM on Apple Podcasts

Dallas Stars: ‎The Draft Analyst Podcast: Draft Analyst Podcast (Episode 104) - Dallas Stars 2020 Draft Recap - 10:23:20, 2.08 PM on Apple Podcasts

Detroit Red Wings: ‎The Draft Analyst Podcast: Draft Analyst Podcast (Episode 105) - Detroit Red Wings 2020 Draft Recap - 10:23:20, 3.29 PM on Apple Podcasts

Edmonton Oilers: ‎The Draft Analyst Podcast: Draft Analyst Podcast (Episode 106) - Edmonton Oilers 2020 Draft Recap - 10:25:20, 4.33 PM on Apple Podcasts

Florida Panthers: ‎The Draft Analyst Podcast: Draft Analyst Podcast (Episode 107) - Florida Panthers 2020 Draft Recap - 10:25:20, 5.23 PM on Apple Podcasts

Los Angeles Kings: ‎The Draft Analyst Podcast: Draft Analyst Podcast (Episode 108) - Los Angeles Kings 2020 Draft Recap - 11:16:20, 4.45 PM on Apple Podcasts

Minnesota Wild: ‎The Draft Analyst Podcast: Draft Analyst Podcast (Episode 109) - Minnesota Wild 2020 Draft Recap - 11:16:20, 5.49 PM on Apple Podcasts

Montreal Canadiens: ‎The Draft Analyst Podcast: Draft Analyst Podcast (Episode 110) - Montreal Canadiens 2020 Draft Recap - 11:18:20, 5.07 PM on Apple Podcasts

Nashville Predators: ‎The Draft Analyst Podcast: Draft Analyst Podcast (Episode 111) - Nashville Predators 2020 Draft Recap - 11:19:20, 1.38 PM on Apple Podcasts

New Jersey Devils:‎The Draft Analyst Podcast: Draft Analyst Podcast (Episode 112) - New Jersey Devils 2020 Draft Recap - 11:19:20, 2.59 PM on Apple Podcasts

New York Islanders: ‎The Draft Analyst Podcast: Draft Analyst Podcast (Episode 113) - New York Islanders 2020 Draft Recap - 11:19:20, 7.12 PM on Apple Podcasts

New York Rangers: ‎The Draft Analyst Podcast: Draft Analyst Podcast (Episode 114) - New York Rangers 2020 Draft Recap - 11:20:20, 6.13 PM on Apple Podcasts

Ottawa Senators: ‎The Draft Analyst Podcast: Draft Analyst Podcast (Episode 115) - Ottawa Senators 2020 Draft Recap - 11:21:20, 6.36 PM on Apple Podcasts

Philadelphia Flyers:‎The Draft Analyst Podcast: Draft Analyst Podcast (Episode 116) - Philadelphia Flyers 2020 Draft Recap - 11:23:20, 3.45 PM on Apple Podcasts

Pittsburgh Penguins:‎The Draft Analyst Podcast: Draft Analyst Podcast (Episode 117) - Pittsburgh Penguins 2020 Draft Recap - 11:23:20, 4.43 PM on Apple Podcasts

St. Louis Blues:‎The Draft Analyst Podcast: Draft Analyst Podcast (Episode 118) - St. Louis Blues 2020 Draft Recap - 11:27:20, 11.44 AM on Apple Podcasts

San Jose Sharks:‎The Draft Analyst Podcast: Draft Analyst Podcast (Episode 119) - San Jose Sharks 2020 Draft Recap - 11:27:20, 1.38 PM on Apple Podcasts

Tampa Bay Lightining:‎The Draft Analyst Podcast: Draft Analyst Podcast (Episode 120) - Tampa Bay Lightning 2020 Draft Recap - 11:27:20, 2.53 PM on Apple Podcasts

Toronto Maple Leafs: ‎The Draft Analyst Podcast: Draft Analyst Podcast (Episode 121) - Toronto Maple Leafs 2020 Draft Recap - 11:27:20, 5.19 PM on Apple Podcasts

Vancouver Canucks: ‎The Draft Analyst Podcast: Draft Analyst Podcast (Episode 122) - Vancouver Canucks 2020 Draft Recap - 11:29:20, 1.51 PM on Apple Podcasts

Vegas Golden Knights: ‎The Draft Analyst Podcast: Draft Analyst Podcast (Episode 123) - Vegas Golden Knights 2020 Draft Recap - 11:29:20, 3.10 PM on Apple Podcasts

Washington Capitals: ‎The Draft Analyst Podcast: Draft Analyst Podcast (Episode 124) - Washington Capitals 2020 Draft Recap - 11:29:20, 5.59 PM on Apple Podcasts

Winnipeg Jets: ‎The Draft Analyst Podcast: Draft Analyst Podcast (Episode 125) - Winnipeg Jets 2020 Draft Recap - 11:29:20, 6.54 PM on Apple Podcasts

Last edited:

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Great reviews.

I believe your analysis on the AVs were a little more more generous. Just don’t believe beyond the top 2 picks, the rest are not likely to ever reach the NHL. Barron was reach, but without a 2nd they were forced to draft early. Foudy was excellent. C+

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Great reviews.

I believe your analysis on the AVs were a little more more generous. Just don’t believe beyond the top 2 picks, the rest are not likely to ever reach the NHL. Barron was reach, but without a 2nd they were forced to draft early. Foudy was excellent. C+

I didn't like the Barron pick either. I just tried to explain the thought process. But they drafted three kids I was very high on in Aman, Ambrosio, and Foudy. Didn't seem like the overthought things. They went for speed, speed, and more speed but also two-way play, so any team that does that will get a a high grade.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Patience, young Jedi.

So now I read that hearing your voice in my head. Really enjoyed your pre-draft podcast for the team I root for. Very thoughtful and supported. Anyone on the fence should really give Steve’s work a listen. I’m not a paid shill nor do I know Steve at all. I’m just a lazy hockey fan who prefers to listen or read people who actually put in the time and effort and Steve obviously does his homework even if the listener might disagree it’s never a hot take.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Nashville, New Jersey, and the Islanders all posted

Nice job on NJ, I enjoyed that. FWIW New Jersey fans mostly don't consider Mike McLeod or Pavel Zacha to be core pieces, and while Mercer is likely to start on the wing when he debuts, I see him as a long term 2C or even high end 3C, I think it makes a lot of sense to be 3 deep at center in terms of high end players.

Last edited:

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Nice job on NJ, I enjoyed that. FWIW New Jersey fans mostly don't consider Mike McLeod or Pavel Zacha to be core pieces, and while Mercer is likely to start on the wing when he debuts, I see him as a long term 2C or even high end 3C, I think it makes a lot of sense to be 3 deep at center in terms of high end players.

Thank you for the feedback. My views towards Zacha and McLeod is that they still can develop into core pieces but not in the top six. Kinda like in a John Madden kind of way.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
So now I read that hearing your voice in my head. Really enjoyed your pre-draft podcast for the team I root for. Very thoughtful and supported. Anyone on the fence should really give Steve’s work a listen. I’m not a paid shill nor do I know Steve at all. I’m just a lazy hockey fan who prefers to listen or read people who actually put in the time and effort and Steve obviously does his homework even if the listener might disagree it’s never a hot take.
Well said, couldn't agree more.

Thank you @Steve Kournianos for continuing to Post your work here. I always appreciate contributions from Members who provide information on Prospects, but it's reports like yours that really benefit this site imho.
IMG_5139.GIF

I look forward to the rest of your assessments.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Well said, couldn't agree more.

Thank you @Steve Kournianos for continuing to Post your work here. I always appreciate contributions from Members who provide information on Prospects, but it's reports like yours that really benefit this site imho.
View attachment 377528

I look forward to the rest of your assessments.

Thank you very much. Just a crazed hockey fan who likes to talk hockey. Glad you guys enjoy it.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Vancouver Canucks, Vegas Golden Knights, Washington Capitals, and Winnipeg Jets all posted. The Caps podcast includes a season review, cap assessment, offseason recap, state of the farm system, and 2020 draft analysis as well. That wraps up the draft recaps.

Thank you all for the support. Had no idea how much interest people had in these things. Now that 2020 is over, I'll shift focus towards the 2021 crop and dedicate podcasts to the top prospects and such.

Rufus T Firefly

Jul 8, 2020
Vancouver Canucks, Vegas Golden Knights, Washington Capitals, and Winnipeg Jets all posted. The Caps podcast includes a season review, cap assessment, offseason recap, state of the farm system, and 2020 draft analysis as well. That wraps up the draft recaps.

Thank you all for the support. Had no idea how much interest people had in these things. Now that 2020 is over, I'll shift focus towards the 2021 crop and dedicate podcasts to the top prospects and such.
Thanks for doing all of these, Steve! I can imagine the amount of time this takes, but these are really a godsend for people who are into prospects and the draft. The amount of research you put in and how in-depth you go is a really great insight into the players. Please keep up the great work!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad