Michael Russo: The Downfall of Paul Fenton

Status
Not open for further replies.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
This picture was perfectly placed in the article btw! Reading the article and seeing the contrast in Fenton's expression to Flahr's...

USATSI_10905226.jpg
I thought that placement was amazing!

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
This picture was perfectly placed in the article btw! Reading the article and seeing the contrast in Fenton's expression to Flahr's...

Go back and watch Eriksson Ek, Kunin and Tuch's drafts. Look at Flahr's expression.

Reactions: Bazeek

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I thought it was interesting the a source within the team said that things started to fall apart after Flahr left. Going on to say that he(Flahr) helps things together for a while. It just gives the impression that our whole organization has been ripped apart. I wish Flahr would’ve been given a shot arbor gm

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
So the Fenton wanting to fire Boudreau thing was indeed true... I doubted that one a little bit.

WTH is this?
"Fenton being away during crucial times was a continual theme. After the trade deadline, during a critical part of the season with the Wild struggling and the calendar turning to March, Fenton went to his home in Florida for three weeks."

The whole story makes him sound like absolute poison. Blame Leipold all you want for the hire, but thank goodness he made the right call this week.

Reactions: AJ Thelen

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Wild fans, how on earth did this guy get hired? i couldn't believe this article. God damn, what a shit-show & all in 14 months....

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
So the Fenton wanting to fire Boudreau thing was indeed true... I doubted that one a little bit.

WTH is this?
"Fenton being away during crucial times was a continual theme. After the trade deadline, during a critical part of the season with the Wild struggling and the calendar turning to March, Fenton went to his home in Florida for three weeks."

The whole story makes him sound like absolute poison. Blame Leipold all you want for the hire, but thank goodness he made the right call this week.
He really @#$!ed up the hire, but give him credit for immediately owning up to it 100%. Now if he hires Chiarelli.....

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I guess it turns out that Russo is actually a credible reporter who has plenty of connections, who woulda thought?

The amount of information in this article really shows you how connected Russo is. I understand that he absolutely hated Fenton, but he clearly had sources to back up the tidbits he'd drop in podcasts.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I guess it turns out that Russo is actually a credible reporter who has plenty of connections, who woulda thought?

The amount of information in this article really shows you how connected Russo is. I understand that he absolutely hated Fenton, but he clearly had sources to back up the tidbits he'd drop in podcasts.
How do you know how much of this is true? He has zero quotes from anyone in the know. This story is nothing more than Russo rehashing all of the bullshit he was pushing all season. The worst things that Fenton did, and the things that actually got him fired, were never once reported by Russo.

Just because Fenton ended up being an even bigger dbag than anyone thought, doesn't all of a sudden make Russo less of one.

Reactions: BlackBusa24

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
How do you know how much of this is true? He has zero quotes from anyone in the know. This story is nothing more than Russo rehashing all of the bull**** he was pushing all season. The worst things that Fenton did, and the things that actually got him fired, were never once reported by Russo.

Just because Fenton ended up being an even bigger dbag than anyone thought, doesn't all of a sudden make Russo less of one.

Jesus, you just never quit do you.

JP Flow

May 1, 2019
Out East
The part that jumped out at me was his insistence on Nico Sturm participating in warmups before having his work permit/visa taken care of. That is a colossal lack of awareness and understanding for a game with such an international talent pool.

How do you know how much of this is true? He has zero quotes from anyone in the know. This story is nothing more than Russo rehashing all of the bull**** he was pushing all season. The worst things that Fenton did, and the things that actually got him fired, were never once reported by Russo.

The Good Ole Boys Club of the NHL is famous for throwing one another under the bus on the record.

“‘Can you believe he fell for it,’ Poile asked the Athletic, laughing hysterically. ‘What a dunce.’”

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

He has sources and connections and I'm sure he's been hearing stuff all season, but this past season he played way too fast and loose on the radio/podcasts with the rumors. The bit about Fenton agreeing to the Nino trade "in two seconds!" that people were parroting in multiple threads earlier in the year was contradicted by his own story today. If you were to go through and compare notes between the podcast info and what he's published since, there'll be plenty of similar examples.

So why publish it all now? I'm sure part of it is that there's no danger of Russo making his job even harder next year, but I'm also sure that a whole lot of tongues have gotten a whole lot looser in the last few days. As extensive as the article is it's bound to be a fraction of what he's heard over the last year: the fraction that he's been able to properly verify through multiple sources over the past few days.

So yeah, he's as good a source of Wild rumors as anyone, but unless it's published we still don't have a good idea of how reliable it is. And fans (especially non-Wild fans) tend to take it all as fact and jump to conclusions, which gets to be obnoxious.

This is also one of these situations where Fenton doesn't do himself much good by walling himself off, but maybe he'll gives his own side of things eventually. I don't doubt that this stuff happened, but it's all presented with the same incredulous style Russo's been stuck in all year. "It doesn't make any sense!" "What was he thinking?!" It'd be nice to know what he was actually thinking and how aware he even was of what was going on.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
You'd be a horrendous insider.
Pretty convenient that he can say whatever he wants but doesn't have to support any of it. The one thing that he has reported that could be actually be sourced, was proven to be a lie.

I have no doubt that Fenton is guilty of quite a few of the things Russo listed. I also have no doubt that more than a few of Russo's " the Athletic was told" or "league sources said" are complete bullshit as well.

JP Flow

May 1, 2019
Out East
Pretty convenient that he can say whatever he wants but doesn't have to support any of it. The one thing that he has reported that could be actually be sourced, was proven to be a lie.

I have no doubt that Fenton is guilty of quite a few of the things Russo listed. I also have no doubt that more than a few of Russo's " the Athletic was told" or "league sources said" are complete bull**** as well.

Which part was proven to be a lie?

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
He has sources and connections and I'm sure he's been hearing stuff all season, but this past season he played way too fast and loose on the radio/podcasts with the rumors. The bit about Fenton agreeing to the Nino trade "in two seconds!" that people were parroting in multiple threads earlier in the year was contradicted by his own story today. If you were to go through and compare notes between the podcast info and what he's published since, there'll be plenty of similar examples.

So why publish it all now? I'm sure part of it is that there's no danger of Russo making his job even harder next year, but I'm also sure that a whole lot of tongues have gotten a whole lot looser in the last few days. As extensive as the article is it's bound to be a fraction of what he's heard over the last year: the fraction that he's been able to properly verify through multiple sources over the past few days.

So yeah, he's as good a source of Wild rumors as anyone, but unless it's published we still don't have a good idea of how reliable it is. And fans (especially non-Wild fans) tend to take it all as fact and jump to conclusions, which gets to be obnoxious.

This is also one of these situations where Fenton doesn't do himself much good by walling himself off, but maybe he'll gives his own side of things eventually. I don't doubt that this stuff happened, but it's all presented with the same incredulous style Russo's been stuck in all year. "It doesn't make any sense!" "What was he thinking?!" It'd be nice to know what he was actually thinking and how aware he even was of what was going on.

The whole "2 seconds" thing seems to me like it should've been taken as hyperbole. Not doing due diligence to scout Rask or even get an opinion front Staal supports that the trade was clearly rushed.

When you hear the stories about how Fenton was handling the leaks, it doesnt surprise me that Russo held off on some things. It was clear that Fenton was an egotistical asshole. To me, it seems like there was truth behind almost everything.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta

I have no doubt that Fenton is guilty of quite a few of the things Russo listed. I also have no doubt that more than a few of Russo's " the Athletic was told" or "league sources said" are complete bull**** as well.

You are aware of libel laws, right? I guarantee you that Russo isn't lying about any quote or information that he received from an unnamed source. He's not going to out somebody publicly. You're just grasping for straws cause you were wrong.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
You are aware of libel laws, right? I guarantee you that Russo isn't lying about any quote or information that he received from an unnamed source. He's not going to out somebody publicly. You're just grasping for straws cause you were wrong.
Who is going to sue him for Libel? WTF?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
The whole "2 seconds" thing seems to me like it should've been taken as hyperbole. Not doing due diligence to scout Rask or even get an opinion front Staal supports that the trade was clearly rushed.

When you hear the stories about how Fenton was handling the leaks, it doesnt surprise me that Russo held off on some things. It was clear that Fenton was an egotistical *******. To me, it seems like there was truth behind almost everything.
In hindsight, after being contradicted by Waddell and himself, yes I think that's clear. At the time he was making the rounds with it? Even if one took it as hyperbole it painted a different picture than Waddell did, and that case was the exception because we don't usually get detailed, first-hand accounts to compare notes against. In most cases it's just Russo's version.

Reactions: 2Pair

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I hadn’t read that, but fair enough. Sounds like it wasn’t entirely accurate. Would you characterize Fenton’s homework on Rask as diligent?
I have no idea what he did for his homework.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad