SIHR Blog The Difference 15 Years Make: Canadian Lessons for the Soviets and Soviet Lessons for the Canadians

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Montreal 1972. Faced with the decision how to line up against the Soviet Union in Game 1 of the upcoming Summit Series, Team Canada head coach Harry Sinden decides to go with four forward lines and two defensive pairings (plus one spare). His reasoning: Constant Canadian attacks with four lines should keep the Soviets bottled in their own end and allow the Canadians with their superior shooting to put permanent pressure on the Soviet net. Things will turn out differently though. The Canadian NHL stars jump to a 2-0 lead, but the Soviets with their superior passing manage to keep possession of the puck for most of the game and launch one attack after the other. Team Canada is upset and concedes an unexpected defeat: 3-7.

Harry Sinden's expectation of how the game would go down might in part have been shaped by his own experience playing against the Soviets 15 years earlier.

Toronto 1957. Game 1 of the first-ever Soviet tour of Canada. Facing off against Whitby Dunlops – captained by a defenceman named Harry Sinden –, the Soviet national team (under head coach Anatoli Tarasov) jumped to a 2-0 lead and their passing game stunned Canadian players such as Frank Bonello who noted that "they were throwing the puck around like magicians". [1] However, the Dunlops recovered quickly. They disrupted further Soviet attacks with their physical play and backchecking and then proceeded to flood the Soviet zone with an aggressive forecheck: "the Dunlops threw five men at them", as the Montreal Gazette reports. [2] The visitors were bottled in the defensive zone and, overwhelmed by the traffic on the unfamiliarly small NHL-sized rink, showed "little know-how in their own end". [3] The Soviets conceded defeat: 2-7.

Three months later, Soviet team captain Nikolai Sologubov wrote about the experience in an article for the Russian monthly Sportivnye igry ("Sporting Games"). [4] Sologubov says that by mutual agreement, four forward lines were used by both teams and that this enabled the Canadians to constantly renew their aggressive forays with fresh legs and to wear the two Soviet defensive pairings (Tregubov/Sologubov and Ukolov/Sidorenkov) down:

We were faced with a continuos whirlwind of attacks. And since we defencemen didn't have the opportunity to rest, we became very exhausted and made plenty of mistakes.​

btb_aug_26_2022_Image1.jpg

Montreal Gazette report on Game 1 of the 1957 Soviet tour​

It's safe to say that this is what Harry Sinden hoped would happen again 15 years later in Montreal when he opted to use four forward lines. Not only did it fail to materialize, but what's more, it was now the turn of the two Canadian defensive pairings (plus one spare) to become "very exhausted" and overwhelmed by the continuous whirlwind of Soviet attacks. The Soviets, on their part, used three defensive pairings (plus one spare) in 1972 and changed their defencemen as frequently as their forwards – something Sologubov demands in his article in the wake of the Whitby game.

In their first encounters with Canadian teams on the international stage in the mid-1950s, the Soviets had already observed that Canadian defencemen tended to be much more actively involved in the offensive game than most of their Soviet counterparts. In 1957, Sologubov made another observation: the Soviet forwards were inferior to the Canadian forwards when it came to backchecking.

When our forwards try to help the defencemen in difficult minutes, they usually make the mistake of playing in the same rhythm as when attacking the goal of the opponent. But the defensive game requires a different rhythm, one primarily suited to ensure the soundness and flawlessness of the operations. When playing in the defence, you need the ability to see through the deceptive moves of the forwards and to pick the most advantageous position to protect your goal.​

Under the impression of the Whitby game, Sologubov – who was a renowned two-way defenceman himself, but remained exceptional in the Soviet Union – called for closer cooperation and more interchangeability between Soviet forwards and Soviet defencemen. Slogans like "five players on attack and five players on defence" became guiding themes for Soviet hockey. In order to faciliate the offensive contribution of the defencemen, young forwards such as Vitali Davydov and Viktor Kuzkin were converted to defencemen. Meanwhile, the defensive game of the Soviet forwards improved enough for backchecking to be listed among the areas in which the Soviets outdid Team Canada in Game 1 of the 1972 Summit Series. [5]

btb_aug_26_2022_Image2.jpg

Tarasov advising against "universalism" in hockey (February 1957)​

Just how far this interchangeability should go was a controversial question. Sologubov envisioned "universal players" equally versed in attacking and defending, and in the Soviet league Nikolai Epshtein (head coach of the club Khimik Voskresensk) tried to create such universal players who would be capable of switching positions at will. But in the mind of Anatoli Tarasov, this approach went too far. He had already spoken out against the tendency towards "universalism" in his foreword to Lloyd Percival's Hockey Handbook in early 1957 [6], and he would continue to do so throughout the 1960s. Tarasov argued that Soviet hockey should be based on specialization and that too much offensive involvement by the defencemen posed a defensive risk – arguments he kept repeating even as he gradually adapted his views and e.g. moved away from his opposition against forwards playing the point on the powerplay.

By the second half of the 1960s, Tarasov was ready to use offensive defencemen he labeled "halfbacks" – but only if paired with stay-at-home defencemen. Tarasov's long-time senior colleague with the national team, Arkadi Chernyshov, albeit known as defensive-minded, was pragmatist enough to embrace a new approach that promised to work, but making it work was precisely the difficult part: Soviet hockey was lacking defencemen with the two-way skillset required to play "halfback" and the only promising candidate of international calibre, Viktor Blinov, died an untimely death at the tender age of 22 (1968). When a new brand of offensive-minded defencemen such as Bobby Orr (Canada), Lennart Svedberg (Sweden) and Jan Suchý (Czechoslovakia) appeared in hockey in the late 1960s, the Soviet Union didn't have an adequate counterpart.

If the Soviet national team nevertheless had effective answers to Team Canada's approach in Game 1 of the 1972 Summit Series, they owed a lot of it to their experience from games against Canadian teams with similiar approaches – and not the least from Game 1 of their first-ever tour of Canada 15 years earlier. More level-headed backchecking by the forwards, quick passing to leave forecheckers trailing and defencemen stepping up to support the attack were among the lasting additions to the tactical repertoire prompted by the Canadian lessons. Ironically, it might have been the same experience that gave Harry Sinden his idea of how to play against the Soviets in 1972.

[1] From Greg Franke's great book Epic Confrontation: Canada vs. Russia on Ice (2018), page 133
[2] Montreal Gazette, November 23 1957, page 8
[3] same
[4] Nikolai Sologubov: Vse - v zashchite, vse - v napadenii. In: Sportivnye igry, February 1958, pages 5-6
[5] Harry Sinden in the Montreal Gazette, September 4 1972, page 14
[6] See: Lloyd Percival and Soviet Hockey (Part 2), 2021

Posted on Behind the Boards (SIHR Blog)

Last edited:

PrimumHockeyist

Apr 7, 2018
hockey-stars.ca
Any chance we can get a translation of the Russian text?

Your post's name begs a question: What did the Soviets seem themselves learning from Team Canada in 1972? We hear so much about how the Soviets changed North American hockey, through their training and tactics. But what about going the other way... aside from the predictable things about determination and so on?

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
15 years almost seems like a generational grudge, but I guess they still had to keep somewhat of an active eye on each other, because imagine coming back 15 years later and your opponent's changed too, haha.

Also, it's not a lot of playing careers that survives 15 years of prime level, but I guess that's where coaching comes into the picture. Either long term coaching, or players switching to coaching.

andrjusha

Mar 15, 2008
Fairfax, VA, USA
Good reads. Always was fascinated by Canadians using different names for those teams: Russians, Soviets, Red Army, etc. None are "accurate", its like calling Canadian teams: Provincials, Petroleums, etc. :)

PrimumHockeyist

Apr 7, 2018
hockey-stars.ca
Yes. I have actually made it available on this very site here a few years ago. Post #3 in the following thread: Nikolay Sologubov: Five in attack, five in defence (1958)

Thanks for that. This post and the link points to some really nice research. Theokritos, would you know off the top of your head if other Summit Series discussions have been here had that discuss some of the Soviet or Russian points of view of the 72 series?

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Thanks for that. This post and the link points to some really nice research. Theokritos, would you know off the top of your head if other Summit Series discussions have been here had that discuss some of the Soviet or Russian points of view of the 72 series?

Thanks!

No, I don't think so. But we can try to change that to a degree. For starters, here's a comment that Vladimir Yurzinov wrote for the popular Russian sports paper "Sovietsky Sport" after the 1972 Summit Series. Yurzinov was a veteran player who had recently served as player-assistant coach with Dinamo Moscow and would later become a successful coach. The Russian original is not available to me, but Joe Pelletier has provided a translation of this on his old website a few years back. Full credit goes to him.

"After the first few games our newspapers wrote that the Canadian players weren't as good as we thought they would be. They also wrote that Canada's strength had been exaggerated and that the players would only shine on the cover of newspapers. Well, I have to say that these comments are totally misleading and wrong.​
If we leave the myths and legends about the Canadian players behind us it has to be said that they made a strong impression. They improved with each game. I think that when all the emotions will be put aside and we are going to analyze the series that we're going to talk a lot more about Canada's strengths rather than their weaknesses.​
But let's start with their weaknesses. After the loss in the first Moscow game it seemed like Canada had lost the faith in beating the Soviets with fair and square play. Instead they started with intimidation and dirty play. I don't want to say that this was planned in any way, but the fact is that Canada played a lot dirtier than they had in the first few games. In some games they went after the best Soviets, i.e. Kharlamov and Maltsev. This has to be condemned.​
When it came to plays with emphasis on power and strength within the rules, the Canadians showed us their splendid abilities. The Soviet players have a lot to learn from the Canadian pros when it comes to the physical aspect of the game. This was no news to us of course, but I never realized that the difference was so blatant. On the other hand the Canadians lacked a bit of condition which slowed down their quickness.​
The Soviets used each other in a better way - hockey has always been a team sport with us, where the stars have played for the team and not the other way around. Our ability to make fast combination plays and quickly change attack patterns on the fly clearly caught the professionals off guard. They gave the Soviets too much room out there. In Moscow the Canadians corrected that flaw and their defense went on to be a lot more steady. This in turn meant that the goalies Dryden and Esposito automatically improved.​
The best Canadian defensemen in my opinion was Gary Bergman and Bill White. They were both players with good hockey sense, they were always well positioned and played with great calm and authority. Like all the pros they were virtuosos with their sticks and often broke up dangerous attacks by simply locking up the stick of the opponent or by just giving it a light tap.​
The Soviet defense was worse than the Canadian and played uneven at times. Mistakes by defensemen, Gennadi Tsygankov in particular did cost the team several yielded goals.​
Phil Esposito, Paul Henderson, Frank Mahovlich, Yvan Cournoyer and Bobby Clarke were the Canadian forwards who made the biggest impression up front. I can list more players because the pros forwards were of high class. Phil Esposito in particular should be mentioned. He was the go-to-guy in every game and played very well despite the heavy focus on him from media and fans.​
We took him to our hearts so it was especially disappointing in the second Moscow game when he played brutally and out of control. Phil Esposito as a thug was a role that didn't suit him."​

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Excellent info, thanks. Can you possibly say how much later it was after the series that Vladimir Yurzinov wrote this?

Unfortunately I don't know the date, but to me it sounds like it was written not too long after Game 8. Since Sovietsky Sport appeared daily, it's reasonable to assume this was published right after the series. End of September, no later than early October.

PrimumHockeyist

Apr 7, 2018
hockey-stars.ca
Unfortunately I don't know the date, but to me it sounds like it was written not too long after Game 8. Since Sovietsky Sport appeared daily, it's reasonable to assume this was published right after the series. End of September, no later than early October.

It does read like VERY fresh content and seems both accurate and quite well-balanced.

I've always wondered about the differing philosophies of the European v North American players and coaches and refs affected the Moscow part of Summit Series and the earlier Sweden games. I suspect that this might have been the main clash of 'cultures', not the easier to think up captialism v communism thing. My understanding is that European hockey had evolved in ways that had been meant to minimize some of the North American tactics which were sincerely frowned upon,. Suddenly, ice hockey's two great lineages come together as the equal partners that nobody thought they were - terms where things like reffing and 'fair play' couldn't matter more.

We hear about the North American perspective, but not about the European fans. Didn't the Russians blow up after game two? Isn't that rather like some Canada's reactions starting in Stockholm? (Very unusual behaviours). What Canadians of that time seemed to universally view as a good tight-checking North American game may have been something very different to European fans.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
I've always wondered about the differing philosophies of the European v North American players and coaches and refs affected the Moscow part of Summit Series and the earlier Sweden games. I suspect that this might have been the main clash of 'cultures', not the easier to think up captialism v communism thing.

I strongly agree with that. Phil Esposito said the following about the Swedes: "The Russians are gentlemen compared to these guys." Sweden, of course, was a Western country, so ...

But in addition to the clash of hockey cultures that undoubtedly happened, I'd also add that coming into Europe, Team Canada was in a particularly bad mood. From another discussion:

Team Canada 1972 was an ill-tempered team, at least from the moment things started to go wrong in Game 1. Frustration, wounded pride and the weight of the expectations made for a bad mix. Having watched Game 1 in Montreal, Scotty Bowman said: "If you're going to play tough, you have to play TOUGH... and we were playing chippy... weren't getting called for it, though." (Montreal Gazette, September 4)

An NHL opponent might have answered in kind, but the Europeans didn't. After the games in Sweden, Ted Blackman of the Montreal Gazette got Canadian assistant coach John Ferguson to concede he wouldn't have tolerated the play of Team Canada if he was the opponent. Blackman wrote:

Too many members of Team Canada know they can bully their opponents without fear of reprisal. Would Hadfield coldcock a man in Boston? Can you see Goldsworthy jabbing a man in New York? Would Cashman perform this way at the Forum in the days of John Ferguson?​
"No way," Fergy says, still smouldering - at his own players - a day after. "Too many chicken-hearted guys are running at players who are even more chicken. If I was playing for Sweden and Russia, we'd be better off. I'd belt a few guys and knock them back into character again." (Montreal Gazette, September 19)​

Now that's certainly an old-school take by Ferguson, but the key point is that he thought the Canadians got away with stuff they wouldn't have gotten away with in the NHL.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
No, I don't think so. But we can try to change that to a degree. For starters, here's a comment that Vladimir Yurzinov wrote for the popular Russian sports paper "Sovietsky Sport" after the 1972 Summit Series.

And here are some of Anatoli Tarasov's deliberations from his 1974 book "Put k sebe". I'll paraphrase them.

Tarasov says that the Canadians were deliberately pushing the boundaries of the rules and going beyond them, but that the Soviets shouldn't have allowed themselves to be impressed. Instead they should have pushed back and played a tougher game themselves, but Tarasov suspects the coaches were too afraid of taking penalties. He says that the Soviet team was more tactically advanced than Team Canada and played better as a team, but failure to neutralize Phil Esposito cost them. Since the Soviet team didn't have a center who was a good matchup for Esposito, a tough defenceman like Valeri Vasilyev or Vladimir Lutchenko should have been matched up against him as much as possible. Tarasov compares Vasilyev favourably with Brad Park and he denies the latter was the best defenceman of Team Canada: too offensively oriented; responsible for a share of goals against. Tarasov stays true to what he already wrote in 1957 (as mentioned in the article/opening post of this thread): "too much offensive involvement by the defencemen poses a defensive risk". Interestingly, Vladimir Yurzinov also didn't rate Brad Park among the best Canadian defencemen but named two defensive defencemen instead: Gary Bergman and Bill White.

More deliberations by Tarasov on tactics to follow.

Last edited:

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
When a new brand of offensive-minded defencemen such as Bobby Orr (Canada), Lennart Svedberg (Sweden) and Jan Suchý (Czechoslovakia) appeared in hockey in the late 1960s, the Soviet Union didn't have an adequate counterpart.

Isn't this kinda similar to how Russian hockey looks today? They've got a lot of skilled forwards, and also now a bunch of great goalies, but regarding high-flying Ds there's not a lot of them. And the few promising high-end Ds they have, Provorov and Sergachyov, all played junior hockey in Canada if I'm not mistaken.

Whereas other countries produce guys like Makar (Canada), Dahlin (Sweden), Heiskanen (Finland) and Q. Hughes (USA).

Do you think it's a coincidence or tied to historical structure and/or modern trends?

Even when they've had great offensive Ds in the intermediate time period, like Zubov, it's not like he was a high-flying north–south guy, but more of a guy with a slick cerebral game.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Do you think it's a coincidence or tied to historical structure and/or modern trends?

Even when they've had great offensive Ds in the intermediate time period, like Zubov, it's not like he was a high-flying north–south guy, but more of a guy with a slick cerebral game.

I'm not sure. Fetisov was certainly an outlier and unique in the Soviet Union (and had to overcome criticism to play the way he did).

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
And here are some of Anatoli Tarasov's deliberations from his 1974 book "Put k sebe". I'll paraphrase them.

Tarasov says that the Canadians were deliberately pushing the boundaries of the rules and going beyond them, but that the Soviets shouldn't have allowed themselves to be impressed. Instead they should have pushed back and played a tougher game themselves, but Tarasov suspects the coaches were too afraid of taking penalties. He says that the Soviet team was more tactically advanced than Team Canada and played better as a team, but failure to neutralize Phil Esposito cost them. Since the Soviet team didn't have a center who was a good matchup for Esposito, a tough defenceman like Valeri Vasilyev or Vladimir Lutchenko should have been matched up against him as much as possible. Tarasov compares Vasilyev favourably with Brad Park and he denies the latter was the best defenceman of Team Canada: too offensively oriented; responsible for a share of goals against. Tarasov stays true to what he already wrote in 1957 (as mentioned in the article/opening post of this thread): "too much offensive involvement by the defencemen poses a defensive risk". Interestingly, Vladimir Yurzinov also didn't rate Brad Park among the best Canadian defencemen but named two defensive defencemen instead: Gary Bergman and Bill White.

More deliberations by Tarasov on tactics to follow.

Tarasov:

"The Canadians played the first matches in their homeland in their usual manner, using the tactics of power pressure. In the first minutes of the first match, this tactic already gave them a 2-0 lead. The home team literally stunned our goaltender and the rest of the players too with their determination and constant pressure, they brought confusion into the defensive formations of the Soviet national team and achieved success. And then the unexpected happened – from the Canadian point of view, of course. The Soviet team recovered from the shock, seized the initiative and achieved a landslide victory."

Tarasov proceeds to outline the Canadian "power pressure" tactic (=positionally and physically agressive forechecking):

"The Canadians send two people to the board to win the puck – one is going for a hard bodycheck against the puck carrier, the other either picks up the puck that has bounced off the opponent or goes for another bodycheck if his partner has missed and the opponent still has the puck. In Canada, most defenders aren't young athletes, they're not very fast and mobile. In addition, everyone without exception likes to hold the puck and therefore such an interpretation of the power pressure tactics is justified."

But the Soviet defenders played in a different manner:

"In the games against the Soviet national team, the Canadians entered our zone in the traditional manner. They dumped the puck and rushed towards it with two forwards at once, and the Soviet defenders, trying to reach it before the opponent, rushed back at top speed, picked up the puck and immediately, avoiding collisions, sent it to the neutral zone to the forwards."

This, says Tarasov, forced the Canadians to adapt:

"In Moscow, they, in fact, abandoned the construction of the game, which they had preached at home and abroad for several decades. (...) the Canadians rebuilt, were not afraid to give us the territory, the initiative. However, at the same time, they deprived us of the opportunity to sharply counterattack."

The Soviet team, however, didn't play to its strength in Moscow:

"On the rink in matches with professionals, sometimes we involuntarily played not attacking hockey, but passive hockey, one might even say defensive hockey. Thus we deprived ourselves of both the initiative and a high pace, leaving them is in the hands of the opponent. (...) We are still afraid of the high technical skill of the Canadians, we are afraid of their counterattack (...) The forwards of the Canadians were guarded by our forwards, with the defenders insuring their comrades. I think that this is tactical illiteracy, although, I repeat, psychologically such mistakes were understandable.

I always thought and still think that it is beneficial for us to develop and complete an attack to have situations where two opponents are close to our puck carrier. That's why it is is unacceptable to add an extra player to the defense. If I were playing against the NHL team, I would certainly let the defenders instead of the forwards handle the attacking Canadians and let the forwards fight boldly and actively for the puck in the half of the opponent. At the same time, there was no need to be afraid that one of them would be beaten by the Canadians. To beat three Soviet forwards would require the activity of three Canadians, including two not particularly maneuverable defenders. In this case, an additional physical and nervous load would fall on their shoulders, which would affect their performance, even if perhaps not right away."

More to follow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad