The Devils core

Sykie

Feb 28, 2002
Geneva
snhl.free.fr
(I hope the title is ok, my english isn't the best)

So I had an idea to discuss between Devils fans... let's imagine you are the GM, and you have to classify the core players you'd build around. What your list would look like ? Taking contrats and everything into account.

You can make a standing, if you want to classify. Could be funny.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Not counting prospects like Larsson, Gelinas, and Merrill?

Schneider
-----------
Henrique
Zajac
Greene

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
How Pete views it: Gionta, Harrold, Carter, Bernier, Rico, Sestito
How Lou views it: Elias, Jagr, Marty, Salvador, Volchenkov, Ryder, Gionta, Carter, Bernier, Harrold, Arnott, Holik, Gomez, Broten, Lemieux
How I view it: Rico, Zajac - Larsson, Gelinas, Merrill, Greene, Cory

Offseason Champs

May 16, 2011
I wouldn't consider Merrill part of the core yet - or Gelinas for that matter - since they're still rookies. That being said, I wouldn't be trying to add significant vets to long term deals since they need roster spots very soon.

Zajac, Henrique, Clowe, Schneider, Greene is pretty much what the current core looks like, I think. Added Clowe because four more years.

SETHROLLINS

Mar 2, 2011
Gelinas, Merrill, Larsson, Greene, Henrique, Josefson, Zajac, Carter, Schneider.

Swap Clowe with Josefson and I pretty much agree with everything.

Not sure if Carter will be a core guy since he's a pending UFA but I would like him to stay.

Sykie

Feb 28, 2002
Geneva
snhl.free.fr
Not counting prospects like Larsson, Gelinas, and Merrill?

Schneider
-----------
Henrique
Zajac
Greene

I was thinking including prospects. For an example the guy we will draft this summer with the top-ten pick will be part of the core... oh wait. :laugh:

Interesting to note some of the differences in this thread. It made me to be depressed, though, looking at what our core looks like. Definitly worse than in the past...

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
I think we only have one core forward and that's largely because of his age. That would be Henrique. Zajac is just horrendous and there is nothing core about him.

So the core would be the following:

Henrique
Schneider (IF resigned)
Larsson
Gelinas
Merrill
Greene

CKPLAYA

Ping Pong Ball Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2009
Parts Unknown
Zajac and Henrique better be core forwards since they're signed for the rest of the decade.

The fact that they are signed long term doesn't mean they are core players to build around. The sad truth is, this organization does not have a single core player to build around. Before you say anything about the defense, you can't be considered a core player if you haven't played a full season, you also can't be a core player if you are in the AHL. As for the forwards, not a single forward is untouchable come march 5th, therefore they are not core players either. If there was any market at all for Zajac he would be gone. His contract is an albatross. Same for Henrique. No one is taking a player like him that is signed for as long as he is. Why would they. As for Schneider, the old school thinking was to build around your goalie, but that's not really the case anymore. Goalies have become pretty interchangeable. Plus he's not signed signed past next year.

Zelmo

Jun 18, 2012
Woodstock, GA
So the core would be the following:

Henrique
Schneider (IF resigned)
Larsson
Gelinas
Merrill
Greene

I'd remove Greene. I know he's our best Dman but I'd exclude him because of his age. I also think he'd get us the most back as a trade chip.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Zajac and Henrique better be core forwards since they're signed for the rest of the decade.

And that is an unfortunate distinction that needs to be made. Zajac would not be on my list of core players based on his on-ice play. But the contract says he has to be a considered a core player.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
And that is an unfortunate distinction that needs to be made. Zajac would not be on my list of core players based on his on-ice play. But the contract says he has to be a considered a core player.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to get at.

I don't see a core guy that can be built around. But they are considered the core due to their contracts.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The fact that they are signed long term doesn't mean they are core players to build around. The sad truth is, this organization does not have a single core player to build around. Before you say anything about the defense, you can't be considered a core player if you haven't played a full season, you also can't be a core player if you are in the AHL. As for the forwards, not a single forward is untouchable come march 5th, therefore they are not core players either. If there was any market at all for Zajac he would be gone. His contract is an albatross. Same for Henrique. No one is taking a player like him that is signed for as long as he is. Why would they. As for Schneider, the old school thinking was to build around your goalie, but that's not really the case anymore. Goalies have become pretty interchangeable. Plus he's not signed signed past next year.

Disagree on a couple points.

1)I definitly think you can build around a goal tender. And schneider is the guy who tops my list of core players. Sure there are a bunch of good goalies out there, but there are a bunch of good d-men, or fwd's. But when you don't have a good goaltender you're team suffers.

2)If you want to say Cory should not be considered a core player because he is not signed long term, then Zajac should be considered one because he is signed long term.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Yeah, that's what I was trying to get at.

I don't see a core guy that can be built around. But they are considered the core due to their contracts.

Both guys look to be good role players, or complementary players, but only core players due to the contracts given(though I'm still hoping Henrique grows into more of a core player).

MountainGoat

I like our defense a lot and I like Cory as the #1 to back them up but our forward lineup needs serious upgrades, we would be near Edmonton in the standings if not for Jagr

CKPLAYA

Ping Pong Ball Enthusiast
Nov 24, 2009
Parts Unknown
Disagree on a couple points.

1)I definitly think you can build around a goal tender. And schneider is the guy who tops my list of core players. Sure there are a bunch of good goalies out there, but there are a bunch of good d-men, or fwd's. But when you don't have a good goaltender you're team suffers.

2)If you want to say Cory should not be considered a core player because he is not signed long term, then Zajac should be considered one because he is signed long term.

Zajac shouldn't be a considered a core player because a third line player can't be a core player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad