News Article: The Devils Are Due: The Sleeper Team For Next Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I was looking for the article but I couldn't find it. I remember the article too. The context was that he doesn't base his decisions off of them but he would be open to it.

Which I think is where a majority of the league is right now. Coaches aren't going to start integrating advanced stats overnight. Eventually I'm sure every coaching staff will use them as part of their coaching, but we're not there yet.

Deleted member 28548

Losing Adam Oates to the Capitals was a blow to the teams faceoff strategies.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Pete's kind of a unique coach in terms of all this. He has an old school mentality adapted for the modern NHL.

I'm not sure when I've heard him talk directly about advanced stats, but he has been preaching puck possession since he came here. To an old school guy, possession isn't advanced stats... it's common sense. He admitted to taking a lot from how some of the dominant Red Wings teams played. He could truly believe he's not a stats guy, but he applies a lot of the basic principals of the new wave of stats. Maybe without even thinking twice about it

He has maintained the low event, tight type of games that the Devils are more accustomed to than not - but I'm not sure how much of that is personnel and how much of that is coaching decisions

The one area that advanced stats focuses on that he doesn't seem to abide by are things like contolled zone entries (instead of dump & chase) and zone exits (instead of chipping it off the glass and out).
He's had some weird rosters while he's been here and I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't tweaking it as he went along. I remember a team that was a lot more aggressive coming into and out of the zone when he had 4 lines and workable defense pairings.

If you go back and look at the last playoff run, the forwards are quicker coming through the neutral zone and getting to the net.
After the departure of the more talented forwards, and as the defense slowed down, it seems like a lot of that was put aside for a heavier game.

We were stacked with forwards and defense who could fight hard along the boards - so I'm thinking he was comfortable with dump & chase and chipping pucks out because he had big bodies who could grind out those battles at the bluelines and behind the goal line and come out with the puck.

On the other hand, I do remember a comment from Elias where he specifically mentioned the team needed to alter their zone exit strategy (probably middle of the 2013 season) because teams knew how to shut them down after their long playoff run.

I'm interested to see how Pete handles what should be a more talented all around group this upcoming season. Specifically in regard to how the puck moves through each zone.

...I may have gone on too long.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

We were bad at faceoffs even when he was here. Probably since before he even came.

And if our staff were using advanced stats, I really doubt Salvador would be playing over 20 minutes a game.

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
We were bad at faceoffs even when he was here. Probably since before he even came.

We were fine up until 2011-2012.

But, to be fair, after Zajac and Josefson were injured we had a rookie playing against top line centers and Elias playing out of position.

From there, our bottom 6 supporting cast was something specal... Mills, Zalewski, etc.

Not to mention we had Parise playing center a few games, Clarkson taking draws on the power play and just a lot of other odd stuff going on at the faceoff dot.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We were fine up until 2011-2012.

But, to be fair, after Zajac and Josefson were injured we had a rookie playing against top line centers and Elias playing out of position.

From there, our bottom 6 supporting cast was something specal... Mills, Zalewski, etc.

Not to mention we had Parise playing center a few games, Clarkson taking draws on the power play and just a lot of other odd stuff going on at the faceoff dot.

I used to hate Elias taking faceoffs back in 11-12. This past season though, it appears he was actually even worse. I didn't realize that until that graph was posted with Gionta being dead last in the league.

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
I used to hate Elias taking faceoffs back in 11-12. This past season though, it appears he was actually even worse. I didn't realize that until that graph was posted with Gionta being dead last in the league.

My hunch from an earlier rambling was that DeBoer was focused more on the positioning immediately post-draw than the faceoff itself.
Not that Elias and Gionta aren't terrible at faceoffs, but I think it meant little to nothing in how each play was drawn up.
In the end, NJ usually came up with the puck, and they didn't concede a lot of chances... but it sacrificed a lot time and room to make a decent offensive play.

I've also got a growing suspicion with a more mobile defense unit lined up behind the forwards, and a better variety of wingers capable of making a decent play, that there'll be a greater emphasis on getting the puck back to them. Not sure if they'll get enough clean faceoff wins to do it the traditional way... but it'll be interesting to see how differently each scenario gets drawn up with this new look team.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
i'm excited to see how long pete's leash is if we start off slow this year.

If we pull off another 0-4-3 start or something close to that then I can't see him surviving this time around but Lou doesn't seem as cutthroat as he used to be so who knows. When you miss the playoffs in 6 out of the 7 years you've been an NHL head coach like Pete has, you don't deserve much rope no matter how good your system is.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
i'm excited to see how long pete's leash is if we start off slow this year.

I would rather not see that, thanks. Cause that would mean another **** start that we probably won't be able to recover from. It's absolutely vital this team gets out of the gate well given how many injury-prone/35+ guys we have. At least a good start would give us a cushion if (when?) we run into injury/fatigue issues.

Dec 10, 2008
NoDak now NYC area
If we start off with one win in our first 10 games like last season (1-5-4), it's going to get ugly. That's typically not a hole you're going to be able to climb out of and it inevitability will fall on Deboer. Lou has been more than patient with him - I think we can all agree on that.

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA

The Devils were 29th in the league with Oates in 11-12. They were 27th last season.

Losing Zajac for most of 11-12 hurt, however we probably would have been low the mid 20s with him for a full season, so no substantial difference.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Pete's kind of a unique coach in terms of all this. He has an old school mentality adapted for the modern NHL.

I'm not sure when I've heard him talk directly about advanced stats, but he has been preaching puck possession since he came here. To an old school guy, possession isn't advanced stats... it's common sense. He admitted to taking a lot from how some of the dominant Red Wings teams played. He could truly believe he's not a stats guy, but he applies a lot of the basic principals of the new wave of stats. Maybe without even thinking twice about it

He has maintained the low event, tight type of games that the Devils are more accustomed to than not - but I'm not sure how much of that is personnel and how much of that is coaching decisions

The one area that advanced stats focuses on that he doesn't seem to abide by are things like contolled zone entries (instead of dump & chase) and zone exits (instead of chipping it off the glass and out).
He's had some weird rosters while he's been here and I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't tweaking it as he went along. I remember a team that was a lot more aggressive coming into and out of the zone when he had 4 lines and workable defense pairings.

If you go back and look at the last playoff run, the forwards are quicker coming through the neutral zone and getting to the net.
After the departure of the more talented forwards, and as the defense slowed down, it seems like a lot of that was put aside for a heavier game.

We were stacked with forwards and defense who could fight hard along the boards - so I'm thinking he was comfortable with dump & chase and chipping pucks out because he had big bodies who could grind out those battles at the bluelines and behind the goal line and come out with the puck.

On the other hand, I do remember a comment from Elias where he specifically mentioned the team needed to alter their zone exit strategy (probably middle of the 2013 season) because teams knew how to shut them down after their long playoff run.

I'm interested to see how Pete handles what should be a more talented all around group this upcoming season. Specifically in regard to how the puck moves through each zone.

...I may have gone on too long.

Not at all...I enjoyed the post. Always nice to hear/read someone actually thinking about the game.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I think he will get the boot if they miss the playoffs. I don't think he will get fired in the season unless they really have trouble(like last year) and then maybe Lemaire can come back lol

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
Not at all...I enjoyed the post. Always nice to hear/read someone actually thinking about the game.

During the summer lulls, it's interesting to go back and dig through different elements of the game to see why things happened the way they did. Eyes, stats, players, coaches, analysts will all give you one reason or another.. but finding a way to connect all the dots is kind of fun.

The Devils probably don't have the personnel to play a carry-in type game, even if it is a better system for success.

Definitely. They lack the speed to get a step on the defense and the vision to create any passing plays into the zone. With this current team, getting to the blueline unimpeded is a rare event. So, like I said, I think the coach is aware and is more comfortable using the "safe" plays because he has the type of personnel that can come out with the puck. The forwards like Kovalchuk and Loktionov (and Zidlicky) who were able to carry in certainly weren't discouraged.

This team can be a lot better offensively if they can create more room for themselves and give themselves the time to get a shot off. It's rough watching how an odd man rush or a clean break often evens out as they try and get into the offensive zone .

I said it earlier this summer, but I think that's where getting out of the defensive zone is going to be key. With a minimum of one dman on each pairing who can make a good breakout pass, at least the puck will be moving quicker than it used to. That could be huge for the slower forwards trying to separate themselves from the defense.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
The Devils probably don't have the personnel to play a carry-in type game, even if it is a better system for success.

I think this has been one of the biggest issues on the powerplay the last 4 or 5 years. There haven't been a lot of players with the speed to push defenders back at the blue line, and we've watched WAY too many pucks chipped into 4 defenders who only have to chip it back out and do it again.

Dump and chase is a lot less effective when the opposing team is thinking only about defense and killing time on the clock. Elias isn't quite the puck carrier he used to be, but I think Zajac and Gelinas could both step up in that regard. Henrique also seems to be a pretty good puck carrier. It'd be nice to see someone besides Jagr take over the reins in that regard, and doing that should open up options for everyone else, as well.

manilaNJ

Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
I think this has been one of the biggest issues on the powerplay the last 4 or 5 years. There haven't been a lot of players with the speed to push defenders back at the blue line, and we've watched WAY too many pucks chipped into 4 defenders who only have to chip it back out and do it again.

Dump and chase is a lot less effective when the opposing team is thinking only about defense and killing time on the clock. Elias isn't quite the puck carrier he used to be, but I think Zajac and Gelinas could both step up in that regard. Henrique also seems to be a pretty good puck carrier. It'd be nice to see someone besides Jagr take over the reins in that regard, and doing that should open up options for everyone else, as well.

I was going to use about 800 words, give or take a few, to talk about why I think Gelinas holds a lot of answers for this team -- but I'll spare you all and just use video instead. I think everything I love about his game is contained in the youtube video below. The first 6 seconds are also a glimpse of where he usually gets into trouble defensively, but he connected with Loktionov on that pass... so crisis averted.

schoenfeld

2 Way Contract
Dec 10, 2006

this team hasnt had anyone who could do that since gomez was in his prime.

ajdevjet

we got 3
Aug 20, 2013
In your face !
Originally Posted by Hockey Sports Fan View Post

this team hasnt had anyone who could do that since gomez was in his prime.

How about Kovalchuck ?

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Our powerplay has been okay...9th last season, 21st the season before and 14th in 11-12. It could certainly be better though. One infuriating aspect is not having Zajac in there for every faceoff when he's on the ice. Positioning doesn't matter post faceoff loss on the PP, because they other team will just bang the puck down the ice.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The most frustrating thing about the power play is seeing Peter Harrold on it.

Seriously what's the point?

I remember liking him on the PP in 11-12, but he hasn't done **** on it since. Well he had 2 PP points in 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad