The Definition of "Stupidity" ...

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Assign it as you wish ...

Bench Minor Hockey posted an announcement last night of some sort of rally at David S. Palmer Arena-Danville for fans to support the return of the Dashers. Insert your own :facepalm:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Roadhog

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Please elaborate on why wanting hockey, regardless of the league or skill level, is deemed "stupid."
Refer to the history & continuing business behaviors of the Davis S. Palmer Arena board, and the damage further done to the Danville hockey market by the SPHL Bobcats operation. Add to that blind faith of a small number of local hockey fans who believe the return of Barry Soskin & his FPHL product will solve all that, and "stupidity" is the most polite description of the current initiative that I could muster.

M3gan

Mar 4, 2023
in your head
Refer to the history & continuing business behaviors of the Davis S. Palmer Arena board
The majority of the current board members, including the chair, were not there when the choice was made to terminate the lease with Barry Soskin and give it to Ellen Tully. Apparently, there has been a large turnover since then.
and the damage further done to the Danville hockey market by the SPHL Bobcats operation.
Not all damage is irreversible.
Add to that blind faith of a small number of local hockey fans who believe the return of Barry Soskin & his FPHL product will solve all that
Hoping for something better than the shitshow that was the Bobcats isn't blind faith. Danville fans aren't expecting miracles but they do know that Barry Soskin & his FPHL product gave them something to support for a decade, unlike the Bobcats. I think most hockey fans would agree hockey is better than no hockey regardless of what they think of the FPHL.
and "stupidity" is the most polite description of the current initiative that I could muster.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I have to disagree with you. The arena board terminating the lease with Soskin and forcing the Dashers out was stupid. Giving the lease to a trust fund baby who had no business owning a team was stupid. Thinking the SPHL could work in a place as small as Palmer was stupid. Thinking the damage caused by the Bobcats can't be undone is stupid. Hoping the hockey gods will give Danville another chance isn't stupid.

Reactions: Dingo44

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I have to disagree with you. The arena board terminating the lease with Soskin and forcing the Dashers out was stupid. Giving the lease to a trust fund baby who had no business owning a team was stupid. Thinking the SPHL could work in a place as small as Palmer was stupid. Thinking the damage caused by the Bobcats can't be undone is stupid. Hoping the hockey gods will give Danville another chance isn't stupid.
I appreciate your thorough & thoughtful response to my original "Assign (the stupidity) as you wish ..." suggestion. So our opinions will remain in conflict only on the point of "Hoping" and "hockey gods" as a strategy. Not bad for a hockey forum.

Reactions: Captain Crash

M3gan

Mar 4, 2023
in your head
I appreciate your thorough & thoughtful response to my original "Assign (the stupidity) as you wish ..." suggestion. So our opinions will remain in conflict only on the point of "Hoping" and "hockey gods" as a strategy. Not bad for a hockey forum.
So it's going to take a lot more than hope for anything to happen. Barry stated that he is prepared to return there provided he can reach an agreement with the arena board. Although I personally don't like the FPHL, what other choices do they have? Junior hockey?

Reactions: Dingo44

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
So it's going to take a lot more than hope for anything to happen. Barry stated that he is prepared to return there provided he can reach an agreement with the arena board. Although I personally don't like the FPHL, what other choices do they have? Junior hockey?
I believe the Palmer Arena board remains disinclined to fix their ice plant due to cost, but they may play along with the whole loyal fans-Barry Soskin love story for awhile under pretense that they care about the future of pro hockey in Danville. That board - whoever the members may be - is the poster child for small town politics & shameful stewardship of county taxpayer money. Unless/until those conditions are resolved, it would be foolish to expect a positive outcome of the latest grass roots initiative to bring hockey back to that sleepy little town.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Refer to the history & continuing business behaviors of the Davis S. Palmer Arena board, and the damage further done to the Danville hockey market by the SPHL Bobcats operation. Add to that blind faith of a small number of local hockey fans who believe the return of Barry Soskin & his FPHL product will solve all that, and "stupidity" is the most polite description of the current initiative that I could muster.

Congratulations on finally coming around to my point of view.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine

Slim to none chance. The junior leagues they would be looking at operate at a more serious and more legitimate level than the Dashers and the Bobcats ever did. Significantly larger budget as well. Most NAHL budgets start at $1,500,000.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
But we need the beer leagues and goons more than ever!

• Haha

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I believe the Palmer Arena board remains disinclined to fix their ice plant due to cost, but they may play along with the whole loyal fans-Barry Soskin love story for awhile under pretense that they care about the future of pro hockey in Danville. That board - whoever the members may be - is the poster child for small town politics & shameful stewardship of county taxpayer money. Unless/until those conditions are resolved, it would be foolish to expect a positive outcome of the latest grass roots initiative to bring hockey back to that sleepy little town.

Did Barry Soskin run over your dog or something?

Reactions: M3gan and sabremike

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad