The Day Has Come...

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
The end of an era has come in Florida, as the team announced the trade of forward Raffi Torres to the Carolina Hurricanes in exchange for forward Darren Helm. Prospects were also exchanged.

"This was the most difficult trade I've ever had to make," says G.M. Otten. "Everyone in this league knows Raffi is a favourite of mine. But he just wasn't fitting into the structure of our line up for the foreseeable future and his cap hit had become too large to swallow for someone seeing limited minutes."

The Panthers get back young checking center Darren Helm, who won't likely see much time with Florida this year, but could likely be a large role next season. "I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to add Darren. He can likely be our 3rd line center next year with a minuscule cap hit. Plus, he's got potential to be better offensively than he has been so far. With a guy like Cal Clutterbuck, we've got 2/3 of the future of this team's checking line cemented in place," said Otten.

With the new look lines (thanks to the additions of Bergeron, Marchant, and Modin), the Panthers defeated the Conference leading Buffalo Sabres today and are now only 3 points back of the lead in the East. The team has also opened up a 13 point divisional lead over Carolina.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad