• The Igor

Votes: 57 48.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
Very fun fact: five Rangers first round picks were on the ice for the Kakko goal

I said that to the wife last night, never got a like though.

Just got one of those "don't watch the game anymore, they scored twice while you weren't watching" lol (that was on the 3-2 and 3-3 goals)

It was awesome to see all the same.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Very fun fact: five Rangers first round picks were on the ice for the Kakko goal

There it is, baby!!!

ben-stiller-funny.gif

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Mistakes happen, it's usually what leads to a goal against.

The kids moved the puck FAST and STICK TO STICK. Uptempo hockey, like Kreider's goal, is what a lot of the people labelled as negative here are asking for. In the playoffs the kid line was the only line that moved the puck with speed and as a unit, that has fallen off a bit partly because Laffy is struggling with his decision making (something I again put on the coaches). There's a whole new generation of players like eg Mercer, Jarvis, Zegras, Hughes, Caufield who are lithe and quick and move the puck and yet none of them would look great on the Rangers the way this team is coached/managed.

In my view the coaches and the talent of this team, and the way the game is heading, are not really on the same page. It's perfectly possible to make that observation and be happy as a peach about the win at the same time, imagine that.

The Coach is holding them back. Goodrow is a nice player but he has no business in the top 6. And GG was refreshingly honest postgame about not wanting to change the lines but feeling like he needs to. I get it but to me that shows a lack of answers on his part. There is no reason Kravtsov & Jones shouldnt be playing.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
The last 10 minutes of the game saw the Mika line get 3 shifts, and the Trocheck line get 4. Kids got 2. 4th line got 2. So this is not really correct. I like Trocheck so I don't hate him getting a lot of time. But this is why the kid line doesn't work. It allows GG to make sure Goodrow and Vesey got the time when it matters, and our kids don't develop unless they make a lot out of less time. Which they did yesterday.
Ok, and despite this, they still were right behind Panarin, Trocheck, and Zibanejad in their usage yesterday. I don't like the kid line either, and I've been saying since the start that there was no reason for them to change their original lines when they were playing very well but getting horrible shooting luck. I'd still go back to them and just leave them alone since I think it gives their best balance of depth throughout the lineup. Kravtsov needs to play too. If they don't opt for this:

Kreider-Zibanejad-Kakko
Panarin-Trocheck-Lafreniere
Vesey-Chytil-Kravtsov
Blais-Goodrow-Gauthier

Then do something like this:

Lafreniere-Zibanejad-Kakko
Panarin-Chytil-Kravtsov
Kreider-Trocheck-Vesey
Blais-Goodrow-Gauthier

Both keep the kids in spots where they need to be, balance out the forward depth, and in the second scenario gives Gallant a "matchup" line that he can use when he wants. It's not that difficult.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Ok, and despite this, they still were right behind Panarin, Trocheck, and Zibanejad in their usage yesterday. I don't like the kid line either, and I've been saying since the start that there was no reason for them to change their original lines when they were playing very well but getting horrible shooting luck. I'd still go back to them and just leave them alone since I think it gives their best balance of depth throughout the lineup. Kravtsov needs to play too. If they don't opt for this:

Kreider-Zibanejad-Kakko
Panarin-Trocheck-Lafreniere
Vesey-Chytil-Kravtsov
Blais-Goodrow-Gauthier

Then do something like this:

Lafreniere-Zibanejad-Kakko
Panarin-Chytil-Kravtsov
Kreider-Trocheck-Vesey
Blais-Goodrow-Gauthier

Both keep the kids in spots where they need to be, balance out the forward depth, and in the second scenario gives Gallant a "matchup" line that he can use when he wants. It's not that difficult.
He just continues to change to change.

I get shaking up the lines within a game if things go south as a personnel adjustment to or to just wake up the team. Injuries occur. Some guys are going and others arent.

The problem is if they win they stick with them for the next game, against a completely different opponent, suggesting that they are "only worrying about our team".

Then during that game, they make another switch to match up better against the other team, after just saying they are only worrying about themselves... Complete hypocrisy and no consistent game planning.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Unfortunately, Dolan is not thinking of the long term.
That is a false assumption.

Going 'all in' etc does NOT mean GUARANTEE of championship.
Therefore, while he should properly look at a marginal move (marginal cost vs marginal profit) he will avoid dealing the farm --- at least
JIMMY D, I HOPE YOU ARE SMART ENOUGH TO HEAR BERN AND RECOGNIZE THAT!!!

So again,
bend buckle and break
GG and Drury
deal Vesey
play Krav

The last 10 minutes of the game saw the Mika line get 3 shifts, and the Trocheck line get 4. Kids got 2. 4th line got 2. So this is not really correct. I like Trocheck so I don't hate him getting a lot of time. But this is why the kid line doesn't work. It allows GG to make sure Goodrow and Vesey got the time when it matters, and our kids don't develop unless they make a lot out of less time. Which they did yesterday.
da bold
it MUST be corrected

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The Coach is holding them back. Goodrow is a nice player but he has no business in the top 6. And GG was refreshingly honest postgame about not wanting to change the lines but feeling like he needs to. I get it but to me that shows a lack of answers on his part. There is no reason Kravtsov & Jones shouldnt be playing.
Kravtsov 111% yes.

Jones, while I do want him to up experience->results->value
we really need to start playing
Robertson
who has experience [some familiarity] w/Schneider

Gordon Bombay

Remptar
Oct 13, 2006
In my view the coaches and the talent of this team, and the way the game is heading, are not really on the same page. It's perfectly possible to make that observation and be happy as a peach about the win at the same time, imagine that.
Well put. We were an Igor penalty shot save away from this potentially being a blowout.

There’s some glaring deficiencies with this team that are as noticeable as the 4 game win streak.

Does not mean we aren’t happy with the win. I hate the devils more than anything, so of course I’m amped up for the win. But it wasn’t like this was some domination and outside of the Vegas game the other 3 wins haven’t been domination either. It’s okay to have a little trepidation despite a win streak, just like it was okay for the majority of the board to talk about puck luck and posts.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
He just continues to change to change.

I get shaking up the lines within a game if things go south as a personnel adjustment to or to just wake up the team. Injuries occur. Some guys are going and others arent.

The problem is if they win they stick with them for the next game, against a completely different opponent, suggesting that they are "only worrying about our team".

Then during that game, they make another switch to match up better against the other team, after just saying they are only worrying about themselves... Complete hypocrisy and no consistent game planning.

There's no correct choice here. If he doesn't juggle the lines, then he gets called out for being unable to make in-game adjustments and decisions. We've got hours upon hours here to dissect every little thing.

Reactions: Pawnee Rangers

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I am totally fine with calling up Robertson if they don't love Jones
I am totally fine with paying the price for Chychrun.

I know Gallant doesn't like Jones. It's obvious. The modern game rewards defensemen that can move the puck and activate as a 4th forward. We would be much improved with Chychrun and I think people are underselling that improvement.

It also doesn't help that Trouba has been terrible and playing the worst hockey of his career. Injury or not, it doesn't change that fact.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

I know Gallant doesn't like Jones. It's obvious. The modern game rewards defensemen that can move the puck and activate as a 4th forward. We would be much improved with Chychrun and I think people are underselling that improvement.

It also doesn't help that Trouba has been terrible and playing the worst hockey of his career. Injury or not, it doesn't change that fact.

Chychrun would be a great fit here but unless you're overpaying to get Arizona to retain, your making a difficult cap situation more murky. Definitely open to it though

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I think the reason Chytil looks so good is that he's the only one playing a hockey style he excels at. He's a straight line player with bursts of skill. The only reason he doesn't have more points is his 3rd line ice time and the lack of PP time. He got good at the caveman hockey Gallant likes.

Laf and Kakko are in a weird nomans land where they can't really grind but they can't play their game either so they just look really ineffective. I think it's more mental with Kakko but sometimes I think Laf just sucks. Slow as shit and his brain is even slower.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I said that to the wife last night, never got a like though.

Just got one of those "don't watch the game anymore, they scored twice while you weren't watching" lol (that was on the 3-2 and 3-3 goals)

It was awesome to see all the same.
and the Chytil pass to Miller was amazing. With Hughes trying to get to him he made a split decision and a beautiful pass to Miller which led to the 2 on 1 in close.

Reactions: Unpredictable1

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Im happy the Devils are relevant again. The first good Rangers teams I watched (Jagr->Lundqvist era) always had battles with the New Jersey. Not all pleasant memories but its one of the best rivalries in hockey when both are good and it feels great beating them. I predict we will meet again in the spring.

other quick thoughts after sleeping on it:

Miller looks so much better away from Trouba. Moving well with the puck, playing good defense. Hes on the upswing. As is Schneider, who reminds me of a more mobile and offensive Girardi

Trouba is injured and making mental mistakes on top of that. Hes still working hard and a gamer but its not pretty right now. It's very hard to get by with him and Hajek together. I know the reports on Robertson have not been glowing but I wouldnt hate a call-up to see if he can sing or swim (especially if they really arent enamored with Jones)

Chytil is the next big contract we will need to worry about. The path of least resistance is the Goodrow buyout (cap credits in 23-24 & 24-25 before the dead money goes up a bit). Its a no brainer considering where the cap is going.

Chytil & Kakko are making the leap finally, but Laf is lagging behind. Terrible positioning on the Hughes goal. You need to know where 86 is at all times and you especially cant wave your stick at a puck when theres only 1 man back. He also cant complete a pass to safe his life so heres hoping he actually tries shooting. The other 2 showing us development is worth the wait so no panic obviously, but Laffy is behind them.
Good post. They are going to need money to sign guys like Chytil so buying out Goodrow makes too much sense especially since the buyout terms are incredibly team friendly the next 2 years. He's a good player but at 3.6 mil its just too expensive and I think we see guys like Othmann, Cuylle, and/or Berard next year. Laffy is lagging a little and lacks confidence but he's only 21. 2 years ago everybody was trading Chytil. Sometimes guys need more time. Schneider and Miller have upped their game considerably. Trouba had a rough night and has cost this team a lot of points this year. If we could just get a solid 3rd pairing left Dman that would help so much.

Lindgren - Fox
Miller - Schneider
? - Trouba

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
This board is unbearable. When they were losing despite outplaying every opponent they played it wasn't good enough, now they're winning but not playing as well it's still not good enough. We need to dominate every game and win.

Attachments

• 057dfe195dd1b207ee4e5777ac3b345b.gif
    057dfe195dd1b207ee4e5777ac3b345b.gif
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Love
Reactions: SnowblindNYR

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley

Chychrun is exactly what this team needs. I wonder what it would cost.

Deleted member 23124

That is a false assumption.

Going 'all in' etc does NOT mean GUARANTEE of championship.
Therefore, while he should properly look at a marginal move (marginal cost vs marginal profit) he will avoid dealing the farm --- at least
JIMMY D, I HOPE YOU ARE SMART ENOUGH TO HEAR BERN AND RECOGNIZE THAT!!!
I don't think my "assumption" is false or even far fetched.

The operative word in your post is "should" -- there are a lot of things Dolan "should" do (or "should" have done). Unfortunately, his past actions say otherwise.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This board is unbearable. When they were losing despite outplaying every opponent they played it wasn't good enough, now they're winning but not playing as well it's still not good enough. We need to dominate every game and win.

Bad teams find ways to lose even when they play well. Good teams find ways to win, even when they are not playing well. Rangers are a good team.

Kids are finally starting to make a difference more consistency. Should be excited right now, they are finding their footing and are trending in the right direction.

Reactions: FUZfan

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
The Devils just got more sluggish as the game went on...
A good hit on them every now and then helps.....even a hard miss sends a certain message . Schneider was at Hughes for a few second on one shift in the 3rd late.....that is what we have to do with him....hit-stick and antagonize him constantly before and after the whistles .....jostle/face palm/ shoulder bump.....force them then to jump in to protect him . He might even take a couple of minors and it takes a heck of a long stick for him to score from there !

Reactions: egelband

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
EdJovo, I must say. Kravtsov should be in Goodrows spot, even I've come around to it.

Not because of his draft status or age or anything, genuinely because he played well when he was in, fits better skill and style wise and didn't deserve to come out.

Still not a fan of his and don't think hes a part of the long term solution or will be as good as some believe, but him with Panarin and Zibanejad while Goodrow moves to 4th would make a much better lineup
I'm not sure where he should play.....but correct that he should be in , I'm sure it might not hurt Blais/Vesey to sit out a couple.....might make them go a bit harder when they got back in which I am sure is what the brass wants to see from Kravs when he is playing.

Reactions: Unpredictable1

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Chychrun is exactly what this team needs. I wonder what it would cost.
Kravtsov, Jones/Hajek ( in some bizarro world they value Hajek over Jones ), 2023 lower 1st and maybe conditional 2024 1st ( dependent on playoffs success ) at 50% obviously

Maybe a Berard? Cuylle? I'd rather keep this guys for young, cheap energy in the bottom6 over the coming years tbh

Reactions: PuckLuck3043

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
You had me until your last sentence. No one has a right to a roster spot just because. We've been winning so no reason to change things.

Reactions: Mandar
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad