Speculation: The Curse of Peter Pocklington

Lord Quas

The unseen
Aug 9, 2006
I heard there's a curse. The Oilers dreams of success will be thwarted until Peter Puck is recognized/remembered/honoured for what he did for the city.

I first heard this from my father, around eleven or twelve years ago. I didn't believe it then...

Anyone else hear of this?

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
Nope I haven't, but honestly I couldn't see it hurting. This franchise seems to be cursed. To have Connor Mcdavid and be this bad is just odd.

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
I heard there's a curse. The Oilers dreams of success will be thwarted until Peter Puck is recognized/remembered/honoured for what he did for the city.

I first heard this from my father, around eleven or twelve years ago. I didn't believe it then...

He was recognized and received applause at the Farewell Rexall festivities after the last game at Rexall.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
He was recognized and received applause at the Farewell Rexall festivities after the last game at Rexall.
He was also recognized and given an ovation at the 30th anniversary of the ‘84 cup win. What more needs to be done for the man who ripped off everyone he ever had dealings with?

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton

Never. I'm honestly more inclined to believe it's the curse of katz.

Reactions: I am the Liquor

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

We made the final since he sold the team

so no

we are just desperate to find why we suck year in and year out

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
if this team was cursed, we wouldn't have as many lottery wins

The crazy thing is, Jersey has two lottery wins while Edmonton has three since the Hall draft. Under the old rules, Edmonton held onto the #1 pick because the winner could only move up five spots with NJ's first lotto with . Had the rules today been in place then, Jersey would have had two #1 overall lotto wins with a very small percentage chance of winning either one.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Find a holy monk and beseech his help in cleansing, exorcising and blessing the team and new arena.
And why not throw in your own personal prayer as well. Yoy never know.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
I think the best way to end the curse is to pitch him in a volcano

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Good old Peter Puck. He was so crooked you couldve sharpened his toenails and used him for a post hole auger. Convicted of felony in the US. Infamous for screwing anybody he ever hired to do anything. Sold off Gretzky to prop up his failing business empire. It’s remarkable that he was given the polite reception he was given at the closing ceremonies at Northlands.

The only thing the Oilers are cursed with is 20 years of deep, pervasive and ongoing managerial incompetence.

Reactions: MoontoScott

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

He was already recognized for being the owner of a great team. Must be missing something. What did he do for the city?

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Never. I'm honestly more inclined to believe it's the curse of katz.
maxresdefault.jpg

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Good old Peter Puck. He was so crooked you couldve sharpened his toenails and used him for a post hole auger. Convicted of felony in the US. Infamous for screwing anybody he ever hired to do anything. Sold off Gretzky to prop up his failing business empire. It’s remarkable that he was given the polite reception he was given at the closing ceremonies at Northlands.

The only thing the Oilers are cursed with is 20 years of deep, pervasive and ongoing managerial incompetence.

Too funny, my grandmother always used the expression "crooked as a dog's hind leg."

When you read about the stuff that Peter did in California to so many people it makes you cringe.

As far as Edmonton goes, people say that he was hated because of the Gretzky deal but most people understood that Pocklington's money brought Gretzky to Edmonton and Pocklington's money took him away from Edmonton. The real issue was the Gainer's strike. I was still very young at the time but I remember it as being a very ugly scene. One of the worst the city has known.

As far as the curse goes well that's for the superstitious crowd who would like to read the entrails of an owl to get the morning news.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

One of the most ironic things in pro sports is one pro sports owner crook, Pocklington, selling Gretzky to another pro sports owner crook, Mcnall so that they could later reminisce about it in jail which should have occurred..

The world run by scoundrels. Both bastard caricatures of Businessman that of course got to the top.

Then theres the whole business of how Pocklington alleged to have obtained Gretzky from Skalbania over a game of Backgammon.

These creeps were all sordid stereotypes of crooked avarice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad