The curious case of the Vancouver Canucks

Drew Doubty

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, B.C.
All the people saying "yea I knew they would be a playoff team" were sure quiet going into the season. Saw them ranked mostly between 9-12th position in the conference (even by pundits).

HOLDITHERE*

Still literally following in the Caps footsteps.

Years of suckage
Presidents Trophy
Numerous years of playoff defeats
More suckage for a year
Now lacking toughness

Next year they'll roll heads and their stars will play infinitely better.

Drew Doubty

Apr 4, 2010
Vancouver, B.C.
Still literally following in the Caps footsteps.

Years of suckage
Presidents Trophy
Numerous years of playoff defeats
More suckage for a year
Now lacking toughness

Next year they'll roll heads and their stars will play infinitely better.

when did the caps go to the final? Or win Multiple Presidents trophies?

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Good enough to succeed in the regular season where calls come often enough to mask our HORRENDOUS even strength play. If we squeak into the playoffs we'll get mauled by an actually well constructed squad.

Four contender calibre defenders and three contender calibre top six players will do us in. Miller has looked inconsistent as ever too.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Canucks are re-tooling the right way.

They have 4 first round picks in the last two years (Horvat, Shinkaruk, Virtanen, McCann) and have Jensen, Gaunce (former 1st round picks) developing in the AHL. And they have Demko.... a goalie prospect that was pegged as a late 1st round pick

Instead of tanking and rebuilding/retooling that way - they can maintain a positive and competitive organizational culture.

Everyone thought the Canucks would be a bottom 5 team. Props to them for remaining very competative ..they'll be a 1st or second round exit in the playoffs..but as long as they dont trade away young guys like Tanev, Horvat, Kassian or their 1st round pick or former first round picks then i think they're doing it the right way

Compare to Edmonton... suck really bad..tank tank tank, and never improve... team has a losing mentality and culture...

Calgary (not now, previous) resisted the rebuild, ..now they're doing it right.
Toronto in the past - trade away picks and young players to try to win a cup..but not good enough and never rebuild/retool.

Teams that can REMAIN competitive, while keeping their draft picks and young players..that's the CORRECT model IMO.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Canucks are re-tooling the right way.

They have 4 first round picks in the last two years (Horvat, Shinkaruk, Virtanen, McCann) and have Jensen, Gaunce (former 1st round picks) developing in the AHL. And they have Demko.... a goalie prospect that was pegged as a late 1st round pick

Instead of tanking and rebuilding/retooling that way - they can maintain a positive and competitive organizational culture.

Everyone thought the Canucks would be a bottom 5 team. Props to them for remaining very competative ..they'll be a 1st or second round exit in the playoffs..but as long as they dont trade away young guys like Tanev, Horvat, Kassian or their 1st round pick or former first round picks then i think they're doing it the right way

Compare to Edmonton... suck really bad..tank tank tank, and never improve... team has a losing mentality and culture...

Calgary (not now, previous) resisted the rebuild, ..now they're doing it right.
Toronto in the past - trade away picks and young players to try to win a cup..but not good enough and never rebuild/retool.

Teams that can REMAIN competitive, while keeping their draft picks and young players..that's the CORRECT model IMO.

Fantastic post

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
This couldn't be further from the truth. I assume you haven't watched many Canucks games this year...

They rely on depth, and if anything, their PK ability. Their PP has been spotty at best, and the 2nd unit has one or two goals all season and has Derek Dorsett on it... It's at around 20% because their opportunities are low. Once they balance out to the same amount of PP opportunities, their PP % will drop. Currently only Boston, NYR and Buffalo have had less PPs.

I do watch some Canucks games. You have to admit the PP is the Sedins bread and butter.

Also the Habs from late 00's to early 10's also had good depth and good PK so my comparison stands. Just like the Nucks, our 3rd line was good but the second line was weak.
Even Higgins was on both teams.:D

Tim McCracken

Good loser = LOSER!
Jan 4, 2010
Jail
Playoff bubble team, as I thought they'd be, and soft as butter. I expect they'll fade as the games get tougher and unless they make a handful of changes, wouldn't be surprised to see them end up in the 9 - 11 spot. What a boring team, ok to watch at times but no real zest or personality.

I guess generic teams with generic players comes with parity and the corporate branding of the NHL and it's business partners like Rogers. They've even managed to kill off HNIC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad