News Article: The Culture of the Boston Bruins

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
I think many fans can raise their heads high to this.

In my experience Boston hockey is a revered place in sport ... you dont point, you nudge in hushed whispers.

*punches friend violently*

Did you see that, it was Z on his bike!

Friend: what what where!

...we let Z pedal off

Reactions: BMC

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Good stuff Joe, thanks for an interesting read. The Bruins have really focused on building a team of people who have great character both on and off the ice and who support each other through thick and thin. You can tell that a lot of the guys are genuine friends with each other, beyond what is required just to get along as teammates, and they really enjoy going to work and being around the team. People who want to play hockey primarily for the sake of their team, their friends and their culture/brand, rather than for the money. The rewards of this policy have been evident as you’ve described.

I just have a couple of thoughts to add. As you say Toronto has taken a very different path and while it’s not one I like, it does have to be acknowledged that in the end the recent difference in performance between the two is tiny – sure in the last couple of years the Bs have got over them in the playoffs, but it’s been a very close run thing. However exactly they keep the bottom half of their roster reasonably happy with the relative pittance they’re paid and the big egos hanging around them it works well enough, although of course the real test will be to see how they fare if they ever actually achieve a deep postseason run. I guess my point is that there are different ways to skin a cat and while I much prefer the Bs character/team-driven method, building a team around a few big well-paid stars can get the job done too, at least to a point.

That said it’s actually interesting when you start to look at how different teams go about meeting the cap requirements – Calgary pays 32.72% of its cap to their top 4 players, St Louis 32.95%, Boston 34.59%, Washington 39.21%, Tampa 41.36%, Toronto 42.68% and San Jose 44.07%. Extend it out to the top 10 players and its 68.43% of their total cap for Calgary, St Louis 68.89%, Toronto 69.45%, Boston 69.84%, Washington 74.66%, San Jose 75.54% and Tampa 79.61%. So Toronto, Tampa, San Jose and to an extent Washington really load up their stars, and Boston, the Blues and the Flames are much more egalitarian. Looking at the top 10 and the Leafs pay their next 6 less than the rest, actually bringing them into line with the Bruins, Blues and Flames with under 70% going to their 10 best, while the Caps, Sharks and especially Tampa really do focus a lot of their resources on their best guys.

I think it’s interesting and perhaps instructive that it was the ‘spread the wealth’ model of the Bruins and the Blues that carried them furthest when it really mattered last season, while the star-focused Lightning, Caps and Leafs all bowed out early. It doesn’t always work out that way though – as the more even Flames suffered a shock exit while the Sharks got very close to making the Finals with a more top-heavy approach, and in 2018 the Caps triumphed and Tampa got much closer, so it’s hard to know how much to really read into this.

One could probably take this analysis further and look at which teams are getting the most value from all of their top-10-paid players, which have the most cheap over-achievers, and how they prioritise paying forwards verses defenders (e.g. for the Bs only Backes is over-paid and the other 9 are worth every cent, Chara, Gryz, Kuraly, Wagner, DeBrusk and maybe a couple of others over-deliver and money-wise we slightly prioritise attack over defence, even allowing that the forwards generally attract more coin), but that’s a start.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lo97 and BMC

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Thank you for the feedback, keep it coming.

I am somewhat limited with the articles as far as length goes. Also, it is a Bruins focused site, so I couldn’t get into a couple of aspects I thought would be interesting.

I would have liked to get a little deeper on the Toronto model and whether or not they can sustain it. It’s hard to compare them to Boston because of the age differences of the players involved. Pasta is obviously young, but Marchand, Krejci, Bergeron are all on the wrong side of 30, while three of TOR’s guys are young (except Tavares). That’s why I included the percentage to Cap. If I’m a Leaf fan, the concerning thing for me is the extra 4-5% that each of those four guys got. Doesn’t sound like a lot, but it adds up.

The other thing I would have liked to have discussed is the idea that a lot of people think that what the B’s players (and Tampa as well) are doing (taking a little less) is not a good thing. There is a segment of the population that believes the players should be squeezing the owners for every last drop. The whole millionaire vs billionaire thing.

I understand the argument, but as a Bruins fan I am happy that their players are willing to take a little less because they like the “work conditions” in Boston. I would imagine Tampa fans feel the same way?

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Beauty. I realize (as you point out) that the age/date of signing differences between the TML and BOS players is there but there is no arguing those percentages.

The undeniable direct age/time of signing comparison is simply amazing: Pasta 9% vs. Nylander 13%. And I wouldn’t even consider a trade of Pasta for Nylander straight up.

Well done. You are an excellent writer!

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
I hope you don't mind me dropping a random thought in here but it definitely has something to do with Bruins culture and is more a commentary on the change in NHL culture. But there was a time when the Bruins third pairing dmen were Brian Curran and John Blum, each with over 300 PIMs on the season. Now it's Grizz and Cliffy who might not combine for 300 PIMs in their career. The NHL has changed in leaps and bounds and the Bruins are changing with them. That being said, I really miss that brand of hockey!

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Thank you for the feedback, keep it coming.

I am somewhat limited with the articles as far as length goes. Also, it is a Bruins focused site, so I couldn’t get into a couple of aspects I thought would be interesting.

I would have liked to get a little deeper on the Toronto model and whether or not they can sustain it. It’s hard to compare them to Boston because of the age differences of the players involved. Pasta is obviously young, but Marchand, Krejci, Bergeron are all on the wrong side of 30, while three of TOR’s guys are young (except Tavares). That’s why I included the percentage to Cap. If I’m a Leaf fan, the concerning thing for me is the extra 4-5% that each of those four guys got. Doesn’t sound like a lot, but it adds up.

The other thing I would have liked to have discussed is the idea that a lot of people think that what the B’s players (and Tampa as well) are doing (taking a little less) is not a good thing. There is a segment of the population that believes the players should be squeezing the owners for every last drop. The whole millionaire vs billionaire thing.

I understand the argument, but as a Bruins fan I am happy that their players are willing to take a little less because they like the “work conditions” in Boston. I would imagine Tampa fans feel the same way?

The psychology is interesting too. Toronto pay their 4th line a combined total of around $2.2 million p.a., which is only about 9% of the massive $24 million or so their top line rakes in, and their 2nd line fares almost as well with a $21 mil take. Compared to that Kuraly, Nordy and Wags get a more respectable $3.5 mil between them, which is close to 18% of what Bergy and co. take home on the top line, and our 2nd line, however exactly it ends up looking, earns considerably less than the Leafs'.

I wonder if it makes any difference at all to how our bottom guys play, how they view their place in the team and how hard they really knuckle down and give their all when it really counts compared to Toronto's when their pay gap to the top line's is only half the size?

incidental otter

Registered Spraint
May 27, 2015
Terrific article!

Agreed that the beginning of the trend you describe can be traced back to Chara's extension, and think that Chiarelli deserves a good chunk of credit for helping install the new culture. He used to get killed around here for generosity with NMCs, which I think was a strategy to make the team more player-friendly.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
This is clickbait trash. There's 10 minutes of my life I'll never get back...:naughty:

Nice job on this Joe. Really liked the contrast you drew with the Bruins and how their RFA's are willing to take less to stay as compared to the Leafs who've had to pay out of the nose to sign their players. Well done!

Reactions: DKH

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Great stuff, Joe. I hope you keep this up!
As long as me and Lou keep providing the ideas he will.

I kid - he’s very talented and has a gift for this.

To bad you don’t get Joe Unplugged like we do everyday

Reactions: LSCII

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
I hope you don't mind me dropping a random thought in here but it definitely has something to do with Bruins culture and is more a commentary on the change in NHL culture. But there was a time when the Bruins third pairing dmen were Brian Curran and John Blum, each with over 300 PIMs on the season. Now it's Grizz and Cliffy who might not combine for 300 PIMs in their career. The NHL has changed in leaps and bounds and the Bruins are changing with them. That being said, I really miss that brand of hockey!

Agreed , I like a nice mixture of both. The staged fights? dumb. The natural pissed off lose your shit fighting is glorious and why I love the game. Skill, toughness, speed and redemption

This Bruins culture as far as closeness is unique when factoring in the money players are leaving on the table to play here. Says tons about the people at the top.

PepeBostones

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2002
Really enjoyed reading this, thank you Joe. Makes me appreciate Chara and Bergeron even more as leaders of this Bruins team the last decade.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Everyone, I appreciate the kind words and will try to keep churning out informative material. If you are on Twitter please follow me, but I will continue to link articles here.

Like Dan said, I have Lou and him for ideas so this could go on forever :laugh:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Great article and you now have a new follower!

I just saw that. Was a little scared at first :laugh:

Seriously, I appreciate the follow. I’m sure I will write and post things you disagree with (ie Heinen) but I don’t mind the discussion. Except for watching the games that’s the best part.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad