Movies: The Creator

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
Got tix to see this next Tuesday at a film fest out in LA. Can't wait to see it.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Feels like this is the precursor we'll remember before robots/AI takeover the world ;)

I don't think so. I think this is the era in which android-human hybrids begin. I think it starts with people getting android parts. Lose half your face, so what!!!...get an android face that matches your skin tone and everything.

And then in 50 years, people have 30% android in their body and they slowly lose autonomy and control of their senses. THEN, AI takes over the world.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
One of the best trailers I’ve ever seen - the cinematography from Gareth Edwards and his team is sweeping and epic (you can definitely see the lineage to Rogue One which was a spectacular looking film) and combined with the urgency of Aerosmith’s Dream On - it gives you all the feels.

The early screening reviews are very promising - to have a new sci-fi movie that isn’t a franchise or remake - that is legitimately an awesome film is something I’ve been dying for.

Real excited for this one this weekend!

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Apparently, this cost only $80M and part of that is that Edwards insisted on not doing any VFX until the footage was edited down to the final film. It demonstrates that you can make a CGI-heavy movie, even a sci-fi one, for under $100M, and suggests how much waste there is in these other movies that cost upwards of $300M.

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
Apparently, this cost only $80M and part of that is that Edwards insisted on not doing any VFX until the footage was edited down to the final film. It demonstrates that you can make a CGI-heavy movie, even a sci-fi one, for under $100M, and suggests how much waste there is in these other movies that cost upwards of $300M.

Probably learned a lot of lessons from the nightmare production of Rogue One.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
And apparently it's 80M before the Thai government subsidy. So it's even cheaper.

I suspect when you let a singular creator (no pun intended) have their vision it's a more efficient production than committee made corporate films that have too many cooks in the kitchen. Thus the former ends up being cheaper.

I think this Summer's "flopbuster" phenomenon is going to change the trajectory of how films are made.

The industry is at a turning point IMO.

Sad that you have to go outside the United States to make a film on a reasonable budget these days.

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
Saw this last night and thought it was wonderful. It’s the type of sci-fi I really enjoy. Not quite as action heavy as the trailer leads you to believe which worked really well for me.

No spoilers but the feeling you get from the trailer continues in the movie. It’s gorgeous and really satisfying.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Saw this today and it was alright. Had some cool scenes and a pretty cool idea for a story. Effects were solid. I was hoping it would be more than it was. The writing was really weak. Plot holes galore. It also tries to be too many things -action, comedy, romance, sci fi, thriller, etc - for my taste. But if you’re looking for a fun action movie where you can turn your brain off for a few hours, I’d give it a watch.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Saw this today and it was alright. Had some cool scenes and a pretty cool idea for a story. Effects were solid. I was hoping it would be more than it was. The writing was really weak. Plot holes galore. It also tries to be too many things -action, comedy, romance, sci fi, thriller, etc - for my taste. But if you’re looking for a fun action movie where you can turn your brain off for a few hours, I’d give it a watch.
Feel about the same. Visual treat at all times. At its best, some very moving scenes. Not the masterpiece I wanted it to be but a solid watch - glad I saw it on the Dolby screen.

Seems like it was trying to fit an entire series into two hours so gave the plot that rushed feeling. These are big themes, big stakes - and it didn’t quite connect. As a three part movie series or a prestige TV series I think it could’ve been amazing. The little girl actress was fabulous and I’m a big JDW fan. Just wanted more build up, more feeling for the characters and maybe some extended action sequences. Too much to do in one movie.

Reactions: Holden Caulfield

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Saw it today.

I was pretty meh on it. I really didn't like JDW as the lead. Thought he over acted. A lot of the big emotional stuff wasn't fully earned IMO. It was a little bit dumb like a James Cameron movie at times. However, there was enough really cool sci-fi stuff sprinkled through out the movie to keep me interested enough.

Surprisingly my GF really liked it.

I'm sure the CCP will really like this movie.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Saw it today.

I was pretty meh on it. I really didn't like JDW as the lead. Thought he over acted. A lot of the big emotional stuff wasn't fully earned IMO. It was a little bit dumb like a James Cameron movie at times. However, there was enough really cool sci-fi stuff sprinkled through out the movie to keep me interested enough.

Surprisingly my GF really liked it.

I'm sure the CCP will really like this movie.

This is how I felt as well. It's like a lot of the plot was handed to a middle school student. Some cool ideas but not very well thought through.

I f***ing lost it when the monkey exploded the bomb. I'm not sure how much of this movie was supposed to comedy, but the plot gave me a lot of laughs.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The Critical Drinker's review seems to echo a lot of the sentiments here and suggests that it's better if you don't go in with expectations set too high.

Last edited:

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
That’s a pretty spot on review imo. If it was a trilogy that had more time to flesh out these plots and rely less on super convenient ridiculous things to move the plot forward, it really could’ve been something great.

Nevertheless, definitely hope to see more of these smaller budget type sci-fi films.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Visually fantastic but story and characters were absolutely awful to me though. I was so bored through most of it. Also has the this kid is special and most be protected and brought from point a to point b troupe.

I was looking forward to seeing this but found it extremely disappointing.

Reactions: Hockeyfrilla

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I f***ing lost it when the monkey exploded the bomb. I'm not sure how much of this movie was supposed to comedy, but the plot gave me a lot of laughs.
Haha. I forgot about that.

When I saw it, I was wondering to myself "did I miss something?" I didn't understand why that was in there. Was it supposed to be funny?

Some of the attempts at humor in this movie were so bad it was actually hard to tell if it was humor at all.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Haha. I forgot about that.

When I saw it, I was wondering to myself "did I miss something?" I didn't understand why that was in there. Was it supposed to be funny?

Some of the attempts at humor in this movie were so bad it was actually hard to tell if it was humor at all.

Like the director handed the script to his middle school aged son at times. Pretty hard to take seriously. As a popcorn flick though, I enjoyed it for that part.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I finally got around to seeing this film, and I enjoyed it.

The caveat being that the last 1/4 of the movie is the worst part of it, which is a shame because I found the first 3/4 to be a lot of fun.

A strange amalgam of The Golden Child and Chappie/District 9/Elysium but it worked. The visuals, particularly the sweeping shots of the future urban megastructures, the Blade Runner-esque collisions of used technology, foreign languages and culture, it was a compelling setting. You feel like you’ve seen this movie before, but not quite in this arrangement.

I liked that it was primarily set in Southeast Asia as so much sci-fi fare was set in the West. I enjoyed the main actors and Allison Janney as a no-nonsense commander was a treat.

Unfortunately, it drags and ultimately slows to a crawl by the time they get to the NOMAD, where the inevitability of the conclusion of the film is ploddingly laid out like some final mission of a video game that just won’t end.

It’s a real shame because the pacing was quite good at that point and the frequent travel allowed Edwards to show multiple slices of life in his imagined future, including rural agrarian settlements and crammed cities.

Ultimately I give it a serviceable grade of 7.5 out of 10. If you are a sci-fi buff, it’s worth watching just for the visuals.

It deserves an extra .25 points just for the font of the us army logo on the side of the tanks. ;)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2