The core of this team...

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
After seeing the Flames play for the last couple of years and these playoffs, do you guys still believe that Gaudreau, Monahan(can they be true leaders and lead this team to the Stanley Cup? Gaudreau has shown that clearly he can't and Monahan is is in the same boat) and Giordano(how long can he play at a high level), are part of the main pieces of the core that can lead us to the promised land?

I honestly don't think Gaudreau will be part of the core going forward, Monahan I am 50/50 on and Giordano will most likely play his contract out here in Calgary.

How do you think the core of this team will look in two years?

Reactions: Oilers Propagandist

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
the core of Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Brodie, Bennett, Lindholm, Backlund, Giordano, Andersson, and Mangiapane is very honestly top-end. And with players like Kylington, Valimaki, Rittich and Dube developing into core pieces, we've got a bright future.

Monahan's sort of that guy hurting our chances by being overplayed. He's a complimentary piece but by treating him as core we've tanked our chances, because we've made Bennett into a pseudo-non-core piece. Swap the roles of these two players and no team in the NHL wants anything to do with us.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
I think what scares most Flames fans about our core is we dont have a top 12 centre in the league leading our forward core. When Pitts, LA, Chicago , Boston were the cup favourites each year they had those guys down the middle Crosby, Kopitar, Toews, and Bergeron and we dont have one of those.

The last 3 years the Western champs have been Nashville Vegas and StLouis which shows you dont need a McDavid or MacKinnon to compete for the cup as there aren't many forwards on those teams I would trade Tkachuk for.

So I think Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Lindholm Monahan and playoff-Bennett (not to be confused with the idiot who plays for us during the regular season) is enough star power if we can built a deep, hard working, and confident with the puck team around them but we still need things to go right to get better as a team while Giordano ages if we plan to compete for the cup. And it's scary seeing the players Colorado is bringing along.

The biggest part might be developing our D to replace Gio Brodie and Hamonic in our top 4 w/ Andersson Valimaki Kylington and getting a goalie who can steal a game every series somewhere

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
After seeing the Flames play for the last couple of years and these playoffs, do you guys still believe that Gaudreau, Monahan(can they be true leaders and lead this team to the Stanley Cup? Gaudreau has shown that clearly he can't and Monahan is is in the same boat) and Giordano(how long can he play at a high level), are part of the main pieces of the core that can lead us to the promised land?

I honestly don't think Gaudreau will be part of the core going forward, Monahan I am 50/50 on and Giordano will most likely play his contract out here in Calgary.

How do you think the core of this team will look in two years?

This Stanley Cup playoffs will go a long way to answering those questions. Unless Calgary gets past the first round one of Johnny or Mony could be moved. Defensively I think Hamonic and Brodies days are done in Calgary to save money and create room for all the young defensemen.

I am not ready to write Gio off at this stage but he needs a big playoffs to keep his slot.

One of the more interesting areas is in net. Does Tre stick with Rittich or if possible (Meaning Talb's signs for a team friendly contract) does Tre re-sign Talbot and trade Rittich?

After last years playoffs Johnny's stock dropped with management and there were several rumors of Johnny being moved. If the Flames don't make noise it is my opinion Johnny is the one they will move.

As for Gio I think age and Valimaki's & Hanafin's talent will slowly push Gio down the depth chart. Tre must be drooling over his young D-men.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
the core of Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Brodie, Bennett, Lindholm, Backlund, Giordano, Andersson, and Mangiapane is very honestly top-end. And with players like Kylington, Valimaki, Rittich and Dube developing into core pieces, we've got a bright future.

Monahan's sort of that guy hurting our chances by being overplayed. He's a complimentary piece but by treating him as core we've tanked our chances, because we've made Bennett into a pseudo-non-core piece. Swap the roles of these two players and no team in the NHL wants anything to do with us.

I don't know if Sam Bennett will make other teams not want to do anything with us but I agree we need a very good center. You put a top end center on this team and they are Stanley Cup Contenders.

Reactions: Mazatt

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
This Stanley Cup playoffs will go a long way to answering those questions. Unless Calgary gets past the first round one of Johnny or Mony could be moved. Defensively I think Hamonic and Brodies days are done in Calgary to save money and create room for all the young defensemen.

I am not ready to write Gio off at this stage but he needs a big playoffs to keep his slot.

One of the more interesting areas is in net. Does Tre stick with Rittich or if possible (Meaning Talb's signs for a team friendly contract) does Tre re-sign Talbot and trade Rittich?

After last years playoffs Johnny's stock dropped with management and there were several rumors of Johnny being moved. If the Flames don't make noise it is my opinion Johnny is the one they will move.

As for Gio I think age and Valimaki's & Hanafin's talent will slowly push Gio down the depth chart. Tre must be drooling over his young D-men.

I agree with everything, these are just some weird playoffs but if the Flames don't make it far, we really need to look at shaking the core of this team. The biggest needs are top center and a Right shot D man that is good.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019

Swapping Monahan and Bennett puts is in the spot of bottom feeders lmao. Did you see what happened when Copp was the 1C for Winnipeg (The series Monahan got 6 points in)? Putting a 3rd line winger into the top line centre role is astronomically stupid. Like, that'd kill our chances more than a 20-30 goal scorer being on our top line.

Reactions: User1996

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Add Hall, trade Gaudreau while still decent value for some assets and you have a deeper team moving forward. Looks like Mangi, Dube and Bennett can increase production....Hall, Tkachuk and Lindholm will be three top line wingers..........Mony and Backlund as veteran centers..........Valimaki will come back strong.........there would also be two 1st round picks from 2020 (ours and the one in a Johnny trade) along with Pelletier. The key is turning Gaudreau and the cap savings into Hall, good roster player, 2020 1st rounder and a good prospect.........that is a good asset management.................but I reserve the right to eat crow and I hope I do when Johnny has a huge 1st and 2nd round of the playoffs.

Reactions: Nanuuk and SKRusty

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I’d want more, but I would seriously look at exploring moving Johnny for Hischier+. Barkov would be my top choice, but I don’t think he’s available for Johnny. I think if you can get Hischier and one of NJ’s 1st round picks, you sign Hall and add a blue chip prospect, I think this team is much better.

Hischier isn’t elite at scoring, but I really respect how he plays. He’s similar to Lindholm and he seems like his play would really fit in well with us.

That would give us: Lindholm, Tkachuk, Bennett, Monahan, Hischier, Backlund, Mangiapane, Dube and Hall as our top 9.

Reactions: SKRusty

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I’d want more, but I would seriously look at exploring moving Johnny for Hischier+. Barkov would be my top choice, but I don’t think he’s available for Johnny. I think if you can get Hischier and one of NJ’s 1st round picks, you sign Hall and add a blue chip prospect, I think this team is much better.

Hischier isn’t elite at scoring, but I really respect how he plays. He’s similar to Lindholm and he seems like his play would really fit in well with us.

That would give us: Lindholm, Tkachuk, Bennett, Monahan, Hischier, Backlund, Mangiapane, Dube and Hall as our top 9.

Sorry I just see the Johnny wish list as wow. We are not getting a Hischier or Barkov for him. He is a small, non-physical offensive winger. The one thing you can always find in the UFA period is offensive wingers. People are going to be disappointed in the return but it’s about asset management. That’s the way to stay relevant in the parity and salary cap era - depth throughout lineup.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Sorry I just see the Johnny wish list as wow. We are not getting a Hischier or Barkov for him. He is a small, non-physical offensive winger. The one thing you can always find in the UFA period is offensive wingers. People are going to be disappointed in the return but it’s about asset management. That’s the way to stay relevant in the parity and salary cap era - depth throughout lineup.

I agree with this, I think we will be disappointed in the return for Gaudreau and that is why we have to trade him in a package. The one very good thing about Gaudreau is he probably in the top 10 wingers and on a very good contract(if only for a couple more years) and that is very rare, to get a top winger on a good contract as a UFA signing.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I’m not sure I agree. NJ has Hughes and doesn’t really have anyone elite that’s gonna help get him to that level. Johnny would be that guy. I think NJ is pleased with how Zacha has progressed and they have the cap to give Johnny a massive deal.

Johnny is at least a couple tiers of player over Hischier, at least offensively.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I'm 95% certain that Gaudreau will no longer be a Flame at this time two years from now... and maybe earlier.

Gaudreau's contract expires on July 1, 2022. For the last year of his contract (2021-2022) he has a M-NT Clause where he gets to choose 5 teams, and only 5 teams that he can be traded to.
Gaudreau really has no ties the Calgary area. He owns a beautiful waterfront home on the east coast, his family all lives in NJ, and his long time girlfriend is a nurse at the Philadelphia Childrens Hospital.

He'll be gone. The question is... Will Treliving trade him or let him play out his current contract and have him walk at the end of the 2021-2022 season.
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Treliving trade Gaudreau sometime between the end of this season and the October start of the 2021-2022 season.

Monahan is under contract for the next 3 years so I'm pretty sure that he'll remain part of the core. Gio will likely play out his contract, which expires in July 2022 at which time he'll be 38.. turning 39 in October. I expect he'll retire as a Flame.

Lindholm and Hanifin will still be part of the core group going forward. The same can be said for Ras and Valimaki. Chucky will still be here. I think Bennett will still be a Flame... hopefully playing center. An aging Backlund will still be with the team and of course so will Looch.

Dube and Mangiapane will become significant parts of the core going forward.

And lets not forget up and coming stars (hopefully) like Wolf, Phillips, Pelletier, and Zavgorodny.

The big question is... who will Treliving get to replace Gaudreau? A UFA such as Hall or someone that he'll get in a trade? In order sign someone like Hall I'm pretty sure that Tre will have to trade Gaudreau sooner than later in order to make the numbers work as I expect Hall will get paid about $9M AAV... or maybe even more. I doubt he'll accept less.

Should be interesting times ahead.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Khrox

May 31, 2018
If we make conference finals, I don't see a huge change in anything. And I could honestly see Johnny staying (on a shorter contract) IF we keep Monahan around (the two have been pretty close since day 1). I remember an interview where Johnny mentioned he would love to play with Mony his whole career.

Long term, I see our core being Tkachuk, Mony, Lindholm, Dube up front, Hanifin, Ras, Valimaki on the back end. With some possible long-term supporting cast in guys like Mangi, Backlund, Zavgorodni, and Bennett.

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
The emergence of Mangiapane has been huge. A 6th round pick that's looking like a solid 2nd line guy that could possibly put up 50+ points. It's looking more and more like Johnny will be gone no matter what, so Hall would be a nice replacement. I feel even with Hall, we need a big chunk of the roster to take another step forward if we're to become a contender, especially the D, as Gio is showing signs of father time.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I know this team can use a top 6 player with Gaudreau on it. But Mangiapane has been so good and I think Pelletier might be that guy or Dube.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Even if Bennett magically becomes a 1C we still need Mony down the middle at 2C. I just don’t see us trading a good C when we’ve been dying for help down the middle for decades

The entire debate about Sam being first line talent is utterly ridiculous. The coaches in Calgary have coached players such as Stevie Y, Joe Sakic, Forsberg, Seguin, Krejci, Bergeron and many others. NONE have spotted Sam's underlying talent that OKG has said is there. ZERO have had him on the first PP long term.

Coaches and management chose to put a letter on Sean very early on because they see everything Monhan brings. This supposition OKG makes is almost as ludicrous as saying Draisaitl should be playing in place of Connor.

Bennett is an amazing playoff performer in the right role right now. Maybe one day he will improve enough to take Backlund's spot but until then let's just enjoy watching Sam in a role where he is succeeding.

Reactions: Karri Ramone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad