The "core" is getting thinner

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Sakic referred to Stastny as "part of the core". He's gone now and hasn't been replaced.

If ROR isn't staying, the "core" will lose another piece. Can we really afford that?

If my definition of "core" is accurate ("players to build around") then it might become worrying.

That leaves us with:

Duchene
Mackinnon
EJ
Varly
Landy

Am I missing anyone?

Edit: added Landy

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Had to mention Stastny while they were still trying to sign him. The core was and will be Duchene, MacKinnon, Landeskog, O'Reilly, EJ, and Varly.

Am I missing anyone?

Yeah, that third line grinder we drafted 2nd overall a few years back.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Had to mention Stastny while they were still trying to sign him. The core was and will be Duchene, MacKinnon, Landeskog, O'Reilly, EJ, and Varly.

Damn I forgot Landy.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
Our offense will always be in good shape as long as we keep Duchene, ROR, MacKinnon and Landeskog for years to come. ROR needs to resigned at all costs now.

umdieecke*

I certainly think they hope some of the prospects step into this.

When you really look at it, can you consider someone part of the core if that person doesn't see himself that way? Stastny had some experience on the younger guys and his salary expectations weren't congruant with what was happening with the rest of the core. And for that reason, you could also question whether O'Reilly is a part of the core...but there's time to see how this unfolds.

What I want to know is, rather than insisting that OReilly is part of the core, will the Avs consider trading him once it makes sense to do so? We lost $tastny for nothing. Im hoping they learned that lesson.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I agree, ROR has not shown any signs that he is part of the core yet. No matter how much the front office or the fans want to talk him up.

The team had to know that taking him to Arbitration (while making business sense especially after the future salary cutting the Avs have been doing) that if it goes to a ruling will give him the opportunity to ask outside of the "structure" in 1-2 years.

Right now this core is Duchene, Landeskog, MacKinnon, Johnson, and Varly. I'm now not that sold this organization will pay EJ enough to stay in 2 years either.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Stastny was never the core, he was a luxury. If he hadn't been with the team so long it would have been more apparent. You don't have a core center and draft two franchise centers at 1 and 3 overall behind him. It just was never going to work out. By definition the core is a very select few, it's never intended to be 8-10 players.

Only Duchene, Landy, Varly and MacKinnon now. If EJ and ROR sign long term them too. That's it for quite a while until one of our draft picks (or I guess trades) establishes that sort of position.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Bleackley will be added to that core in 1-2 seasons, easily.

Yeah I think so, absolutely. I think they have big plans for him and he would be the perfect type of player added to the core when he establishes himself on the team.

I don't think Barrie will, tbh. I think he's definitely in long term plans but I don't see him as someone you give a 7 year contract to. That's kinda my eye test, if you wouldn't give them a 7 year contract today they are not a core player.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Oh and yes, to echo people's sentiments, Stastny is just not the guy you build your team around. We've tried it and he's a complimentary piece rather than a core piece.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Stastny was never the core, he was a luxury. If he hadn't been with the team so long it would have been more apparent. You don't have a core center and draft two franchise centers at 1 and 3 overall behind him. It just was never going to work out. By definition the core is a very select few, it's never intended to be 8-10 players.

Only Duchene, Landy, Varly and MacKinnon now. If EJ and ROR sign long term them too. That's it for quite a while until one of our draft picks (or I guess trades) establishes that sort of position.

Those teams that have veteran "luxury-core" players older than their "core" players really never have much success.

Except the Blackhawks, Kings, Bruins and Penguins.

Asinine

yer opinion is wrong
Feb 28, 2013
Sakic referred to Stastny as "part of the core". He's gone now and hasn't been replaced.

He was replaced last year when we drafted MacKinnon.

He was never as much of a core player as Duchene, Landeskog, and MacKinnon are.

Still bummed we lost him for nothing.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
The core isn't getting thinner unless O'Reilly is being shipped out.

umdieecke*

I think we need to wait and see on Bleackley (I know no one is saying its an absolute certainty). We like to see the similarities to OReilly and thats partly because, to almost the largest extent possible, OReilly has exceeded those expectations. But that doesn't mean Bleackley will. Im not saying he wont be good. I think he's almost the safest pick if you're looking for "good" and I think that's partly why they took him. But just because he's been compared to OReilly, that doesn't mean he will progress the same way. And if he ends up maxing out as a good 3rd line player, then that doesn't exactly seem "core-worthy".

Honestly, I think there are 3 guys who are core players at this point. I wonder if they see Bigras possibly becoming one. I agree that EJ is less of a certainty and even Varly to some extent (depending on how Berra progresses).

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
I am a fan of the Calgary Flames and the NHL in general.

I have to chime in on this.

Yes the core will be a touch smaller, BUT, I think they WILL keep O'Reilly and the core isn't the whole team. I'm not sure any other team in the NHL has a core this good to build around:

Mackinnon
Duchene
Landeskog
O'Reilly
EJ
Varlamov

Then you still have McGinn, Iginla etc., to surround these guys.

Plus I think Bleakley will be a nice Landeskog/Iginla lite on the 2nd or 3rd line RW in a couple of years.

Very strong foundation and a nice set of complimentary pieces as well.

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
I too would hesitate to put ROR in the core, EJ too. We don't even know for 100% certain that ROR will even be on the team next year. And in 2 years EJ could be "Stastny" in that his expected salary doesn't fit in "the structure"

Dutchy, Landy, Mack and Varly. There is your core, with Bigras possibly to be added.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
I can't see EJ looking for the moon on salary. Unless he really has a great year statistically. If so, he deserves it. 6 Mill is ALOT to pay a defender. Has to be a pretty damned great defenseman.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I can't see EJ looking for the moon on salary. Unless he really has a great year statistically. If so, he deserves it. 6 Mill is ALOT to pay a defender. Has to be a pretty damned great defenseman.

6m will will be 2nd pairing in 2 years after another year of free agency like this one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad