The Columbus "rebuild" history

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I was investigating several teams rebuilds. And looked at columbus. But I am probably missing a lot of the details in my analysis.

I do not know if Columbus at any point ever tried to TANK rebuild, but I do not think they did. anyway here is my little blurb. Not trying to be insulting or judgemental. Just looking at all the teams rebuilding efforts.

:cbj

The Columbus Blue Jackets are a little bit like the Atlanta Thrashers. They were created in 2000-2001 season, and have only made the playoffs 2 times in 15 years. Thus they have basically been building the team since existence

Draft History
2000: Klesla(#4)
2001: Leclaire(#8); Jackman(#38)
2002: Nash(#1)
2003: Zherdev(#4); Methot(#168)
2004: Picard(#8)
2005: Brule(#6); McQuaid(#55); Russell(#67); Boll(#101)
2006: Brassard(#6); Mason(G)(#69); Dorsett(#189)
2007: Voracek(#7)
2008: Filatov(#6); Calvert(#127); Atkinson(#157)
2009: Moore(#21); Savard(#94)
2010: Johansen(#4)
2011: Jenner(#37)
2012: Ryan Murray(#2)
2013: Wennberg(#14); Rychel(#19); Dano(#27)
2014: Milano(#16)
2015: Werenski(#8)
2016: P.L.Dubois(#3)

Rebuild Type:Time
Asset Accumulation During Poor Performance: 17 Years

If you want to get Technical, they have been rebuilding their entire existence 17 years and counting. They have had 6 TOP 5 Picks, and 7 additional top 10 picks. They have drafted forwards and D men. They also drafted at least 3 "stars" (Nash, Voracek, Johansen).

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I'm sure there's a point to this post but I'm not sure what it is. Listing the team's 1st round picks or 1st pick made when there was no 1st and saying the team made the playoffs twice doesn't constitute an analysis.

I doubt anyone will see this as judgemental, it's just lacking any thought.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
The CBJ are terrible at tanking. They keep tinkering with the roster (free agents and/or trades) and adding pieces instead of just taking their medicine and building.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I'll sum it up:

Always bad. Never bad enough. Never lucky.

We talk about it every year but in addition to repeated organizational failures to draft and/or develop players, this team has never been terrible at the right time and has never gotten a lucky lottery break to get one of those slam dunk superstars.

Heinze 57

Jan 3, 2009
Cincinnati, Oh
The mid 2000's were loaded with talent at the top of the drafts and we managed to avoid taking any of them. That's the story. Just look at 05, 06, 07 which were the years when the Penguins and Blackhawks built their teams into cup winners. Pittsburgh took Crosby at 1, Malkin at 2, and Staal at 2 in 3 straight drafts, win the cup in 09. Chicago took Toews and Kane in 06 and 07, win the cup in 10.

In those same years we took Brule, Brassard, Voracek, (and then Filatov in 08), which is what you get when you're picking in that 5-10 range and then we compounded the problem by not properly developing them.

Always bad, but never bad enough. We've picked in the top 10 in 13 of our drafts and managed to avoid taking any of the players you'd call a star in today's NHL. It's actually remarkable how they went through that minefield of talent and didn't land on anybody.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Our past sucks. We can't change it anyway. Let's analyze the present and discuss the future (the thing we CAN change)

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
The CBJ are terrible at tanking. They keep tinkering with the roster (free agents and/or trades) and adding pieces instead of just taking their medicine and building.

To be fair, given the "win every year" mentality common in Columbus (due largely to OSU football, who can win every year due to factors that don't exist in professional sports), they're probably afraid of going under if they tank completely.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
You can definitely make an argument that the team would have been much better if they embraced the tank in the mid-oughts when Ovi, Kane, Malkin, Toews, and Crosby were available.

But now tanking really has been removed as a viable strategy. Your most likely draft pick if you finish last is 4th OA.

In any case, at this point, the Jackets have more than enough young talent.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
You can definitely make an argument that the team would have been much better if they embraced the tank in the mid-oughts when Ovi, Kane, Malkin, Toews, and Crosby were available.

But now tanking really has been removed as a viable strategy. Your most likely draft pick if you finish last is 4th OA.

In any case, at this point, the Jackets have more than enough young talent.

This as well as the question "what have the past 15 years been for?"

They had an opportunity to tank. They missed it. Now they need to try to build a competitive team ASAP.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
I don't know if you mean it this way (wording isn't certain), and I don't know why this is a common misperception, but the Jackets didn't join the league with the Thrashers. They joined with the Wild.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I don't know if you mean it this way (wording isn't certain), and I don't know why this is a common misperception, but the Jackets didn't join the league with the Thrashers. They joined with the Wild.

i meant their rebuilds were similar.

p.s. i looked at many other teams on NHL chat posts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad