The Coaching Thread

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Recognizing that coaching is changing rapidly at the youth hockey level - community, high school, USHL and other junior leagues, this thread will look at coaching - head, assistant,specialty, video,etc from junior on down to single letter hockey in the jurisdictions defined by the USA Hockey umbrella.

The challenges coaches face at the various levels, cities, states.Keys to facilitating advancement, obstacles to advancement, etc.

Dec 13, 2010
Interested in this thread..won't be going for my USAH testing/certification this year but always interested in what other coaches have to say. Highest I've coached is the squirt level but I'm looking to continue on a few years down the line.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Good Start

Interested in this thread..won't be going for my USAH testing/certification this year but always interested in what other coaches have to say. Highest I've coached is the squirt level but I'm looking to continue on a few years down the line.

Started by coaching intro - Canada, while rehabbing an injury in my mid teens. Needed the extra skating time. Coached on and off for over 40 years.

Thesensation19*

USA Youth Coaching Screening

Hello All...

In trying to work as a coach for youth hockey I was told that they follow all of USA Hockey guidelines.

I was told that I would need to take certification courses, tests, safety courses and screenings... Can anyone with more experience elaborate what is involved. I am highly interested in the job and I do not care about the hard work but would just like to be ahead of the game and know what to expect...

How long are the courses? What type of courses?
What type of screening is this for? Is this actually a drug screening or a drug test involved?

Please clarify all I will need to know upon becoming a certified USA hockey coach

Dec 13, 2010
Hello All...

In trying to work as a coach for youth hockey I was told that they follow all of USA Hockey guidelines.

I was told that I would need to take certification courses, tests, safety courses and screenings... Can anyone with more experience elaborate what is involved. I am highly interested in the job and I do not care about the hard work but would just like to be ahead of the game and know what to expect...

How long are the courses? What type of courses?
What type of screening is this for? Is this actually a drug screening or a drug test involved?

Please clarify all I will need to know upon becoming a certified USA hockey coach

I know it's been a while but if you didn't get your certification this year I guess it's better late than never!

http://www.usahockey.com/coachingclinics

You're going to need to start with Level 1, which will certify you for 8u. My coaching clinic was pretty different from a lot of other experiences, I started with the Ice Hockey in Harlem program in NYC and they got us our own clinic after the one we were planning to attend was cancelled due to weather. It was an 8 hour course + an on-ice portion to demonstrate some protocols you learn about/make sure you have the skating/hockey ability to coach at that level, and something like 40 hours of online testing/courses afterwards.

The organizations I've coached for did their own background checks. Never drug checks, but if that's something you're concerned about I'm not sure that this is the right job for you to be completely honest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad