Speculation: The Coaching Search (Friedman: Ruff to be next HC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I get Bylsma vibes from Berube. He has a Cup, sure. But…..
If it's Berube, then Steve Ott would not be far behind (IMO he's Craig's X and O's guy).

So I am feeling very cautious about Berube.

I dislike RBA when he's the opposing coach. But would love to have him in charge of the Sabres. He is the real deal.

Lindy will be fine. He has an excellent track record for both improving and developing players, has a system of play that is not outdated, knows his x's and O's, has NHL and Team Canada coaching credentials and requires much of players with no excuses allowed.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
You know, it's happening about 10 years too late, but it does seem like this team is finally doing something that looks like a properly run rebuild. First time around, I think Rolston and Housely were supposed to be the developmental coaches, and Bylsma was supposed to come in and be the win now guy. And then Kreuger was supposed to fr be the win now guy when Bylsma failed. But all 4 of those guys sucked in their roles. Granato actually was (is) a good developmental coach. Now we need to get a good win now guy to take us the rest of the way.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
You know, it's happening about 10 years too late, but it does seem like this team is finally doing something that looks like a properly run rebuild. First time around, I think Rolston and Housely were supposed to be the developmental coaches, and Bylsma was supposed to come in and be the win now guy. And then Kreuger was supposed to fr be the win now guy when Bylsma failed. But all 4 of those guys sucked in their roles. Granato actually was (is) a good developmental coach. Now we need to get a good win now guy to take us the rest of the way.
1713322533744.jpeg

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
Based on his comments, I don't think GMKA is going to wait for his ugliness to finish the playoffs. RBA would be my first choice, but it's a pipedream and we'd probably get Babcocked again.

I think they'll apply for Berube and keep Ruff as their safe school.

If Adams waits for RBA, we're getting Appert.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017

Fairburn's list:

Rod Brind’Amour, Carolina Hurricanes
Lindy Ruff
Craig Berube
Bruce Boudreau
Dean Evanson
Todd McClellan
Jay Woodcroft
Gerard Gallant
Joel Quenneville

Also lists Mike Sullivan and Sheldon Keefe as options if they get fired.

If Mike Sullivan is fired he is my top choice

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
Craig Berube went 200-132-44 with the Blues. It's not like he just had one good playoff run. He is probably my top choice out of the names being discussed. Would be okay with Lindy though.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Only that he's under contract through 2027.
I’m not sure he’ll be under contract by Friday. There’s been reports for a while that if they miss he and the organization may want to mutually part ways. Dubas is going to want his own guy at some point. Sullivan can see the aging group keep aging and they just missed twice…including with Crosby playing out of his mind this year.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I think about Berube you'd better ask St. Louis fans. Without knowing all the information, I don’t want to put the Bylsma mark on him in advance.

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

boots electric

Mar 12, 2008
I agree that Ruff seems like the most obvious fit even if I'm not 100% sold on it being a great idea. But thinking more about it given some of the rumors from Weekes and others in the media, people in the Sabres FO do have Pittsburgh connections, They might know something we don't about a pending Sullivan firing, and he absolutely checks a lot of the same boxes.

and FWIW, the Sabres have some of the same connections with Carolina as well, and you could extend the same thought to RBR (but the playoff run dampens that idea some)

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I’m not sure he’ll be under contract by Friday. There’s been reports for a while that if they miss he and the organization may want to mutually part ways. Dubas is going to want his own guy at some point. Sullivan can see the aging group keep aging and they just missed twice…including with Crosby playing out of his mind this year.
He's under contract through 2027, so PIT would not only choose to eat the 3 years, but also let him go to a conference rival, immediately. But we'll see.

It would be another owner chosing to fire a coach prior to the new contract kicking in.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Lindy if it happens quickly and RBA if it doesn't makes sense.

Joe pointing out that Adams said he had a plan points to Adams having first hand experience with the coach he wants makes sense and Lindy & RBA check that box.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I feel like I’ve posting this Darryl Sutter quote forever.

"If somebody is getting ready to win, that’s what they do; you hire really good coaches when you’re getting ready to win. Until you’re doing that, you don’t.”

I think the Sabres are finally going to get serious.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I feel like I’ve posting this Darryl Sutter quote forever.

"If somebody is getting ready to win, that’s what they do; you hire really good coaches when you’re getting ready to win. Until you’re doing that, you don’t.”

I think the Sabres are finally going to get serious.
I thought Ralph Krueger said that. :laugh:

• Wow
Reactions: Jacob582

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Think you've got your coaching timelines mixed up. Kreuger came in after Housley failed, not Bylsma.

Ron Rolston2013–2013
Ted Nolan2013–2015
Dan Bylsma2015–2017
Phil Housley2017–2019
Ralph Krueger2019–2021
Don Granato2021–2024

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
If Mike Sullivan is fired he is my top choice

Sullivan and staff coached a worse power play than the Sabres this year. That's a PP that had Crosby, Malkin, Karlsson, Guentzel, and Rakell for most of the year.

1713357789700.png

I don't talk puck with my PA buddies as much as I used to, so I don't know what happened there. But the numbers are enough to justify a deeper dive to see what happened there.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
More than I’m getting in either direction, ha. I have nothing and I want more.

Aside, I’m surprised by the sentiment on Ruff. I haven’t allowed my emotions to process that idea yet, either, but the overwhelming acceptance of that reunion is definitely not what I expected to see when I checked in here.

I know I wouldn’t lose my mind with anger. But does it excite me? I’m not there yet.

Small steps. This team has left a long burn on my mind and body… shocker…
The only ones that would actually excite me are the ones who might get fired soon -- Keefe or Sullivan. If Sullivan gets fired at the end of the week, I could see his name zooming up the charts.

Reactions: jBuds

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
If it's Berube, then Steve Ott would not be far behind (IMO he's Craig's X and O's guy).

So I am feeling very cautious about Berube.

I dislike RBA when he's the opposing coach. But would love to have him in charge of the Sabres. He is the real deal.

Lindy will be fine. He has an excellent track record for both improving and developing players, has a system of play that is not outdated, knows his x's and O's, has NHL and Team Canada coaching credentials and requires much of players with no excuses allowed.

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
It’s controversial for obvious reasons but I really want Q.

Adams stated he wanted experience and pedigree. Who has more than Q in terms of on ice productivity? My second choice is Lindy. His teams are ALWAYS good until they aren’t. Guess what, I want to be good for a little bit.

Reactions: Irie

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
It’s controversial for obvious reasons but I really want Q.

Adams stated he wanted experience and pedigree. Who has more than Q in terms of on ice productivity? My second choice is Lindy. His teams are ALWAYS good until they aren’t. Guess what, I want to be good for a little bit.
It's hard -- very hard, practically impossible -- to advocate for a coach who refused to protect his players from scumbags. That's the minimum a coach should do. I'll gladly pass on Quenneville.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad