Speculation: The Coaching Search (Friedman: Ruff to be next HC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003

Bakes and Fairburn break down a lot of potential hires.

Didn't love Fairburn's take on McLellan, nor Bakers obsession with Quenville.

I think Gallant would be my top choice of the candidates available, followed by Ruff, then Berube.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I think Gallant would be my top choice of the candidates available, followed by Ruff, then Berube.

McLellan half-assed his interview in Buffalo because he didn't want the job. He wasted their time. I hope they remember that and have him struck off their list.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Imagine if Adams can’t find an experienced coach that has had success that wants to come here.
I have to imagine at the very least Ruff would come here.

Bakes has me cringing every time he talks about Q

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

Baker is still my favorite but watching the drought slowly drive him from gentile prospect enthusiast to man willing to corrupt his morals to win and pounding the table to trade picks and prospects has been hilarious. Adams’ inaction has broken this lovely man.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Berube, Ruff and Gallant probably should be in the top 3, Boudreau is like a dark horse, but I think there will be someone from the top three.

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Bruce describes himself as a players' coach. I think his colorful rants overplay the perception of him as a guy that's really going to hold the group to a high standard day in and out.

I really would have loved Bruce last time we were hiring, but I think he's more in line with Don than what we need

1713725163471.png

rams

Feb 2, 2015
Canada
I think Fairburn made a fair point - the roster type (run and gun) will dictate the coach.

Some coaching names on 'the list' will not want to coach the weakest hitting & weak defensive team. At the very least there would be pushback.

Ruff may be the only coach willing to accept Adams' soft-hockey philosophy.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I take sexual assault allegations and wrongdoings very seriously. But from what I know of the Quenneville allegations, there is room for a return and for him to grow as a person (if he is truly willing of course)

Last edited:

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I take sexual assault allegations and wrongdoings very seriously. But from what I know of the Quenneville allegations, there is room for a return and for him to grow as a person (if he is truly willing of course)
I would have agreed with you right up until he gave a glowing recommendation of the sexual assaulter, after he knew about the allegations, leading to that predator to get a job with young boys. I hope he never gets another job in the NHL again.

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
Coach is critical but it is more than the coach itself,

What coach playing style suits our roster key players? Sabres have 2 first overall, a fourth overall, a first rounder and second round first as the defence.

Tage, tuch, JJ, Quinn, cozens and benson as top six

Some ahl guys that need to move up.

Upl and Levi appear to be the tenders.

In my opinion. All the vets need to go. The fourth line needs to be new guys. And a new forward brought in to supplement and replace one of the top 6

That foolish no more stick salutes to show our solidarity shows that the Sabres vets are the wrong ones

This is all on Kevin. He decides the coach and the roster. Really should have a thread on ka and what should he do nest year

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I would have agreed with you right up until he gave a glowing recommendation of the sexual assaulter, after he knew about the allegations, leading to that predator to get a job with young boys. I hope he never gets another job in the NHL again.

Is that actually true (real question, not defending him)? That could change my opinion too.

But my memory of the report is that he wrote an employee evaluation (as he did for all the employees under him), not a recommendation or anything about for a new job with young boys.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Is that actually true (real question, not defending him)? That could change my opinion too.

But my memory of the report is that he wrote an employee evaluation (as he did for all the employees under him), not a recommendation or anything about for a new job with young boys.
Upon looking for it myself, there is a grey area it seems. You could choose to believe he didn't write this evaluation or that it doesn't constitute a recommendation but its still too much for me personally:

Last edited:
Reactions: Dirty Dog

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Coach is critical but it is more than the coach itself,

What coach playing style suits our roster key players? Sabres have 2 first overall, a fourth overall, a first rounder and second round first as the defence.

Tage, tuch, JJ, Quinn, cozens and benson as top six

Some ahl guys that need to move up.

Upl and Levi appear to be the tenders.

In my opinion. All the vets need to go. The fourth line needs to be new guys. And a new forward brought in to supplement and replace one of the top 6

That foolish no more stick salutes to show our solidarity shows that the Sabres vets are the wrong ones

This is all on Kevin. He decides the coach and the roster. Really should have a thread on ka and what should he do nest year
Who are you considering the vets? Plenty of the core guys could/should be considered vets. If you’re talking about Jost and Girgs, fine but losing them isn’t going to impact the changes much. Are including Greenway in that discussion?

Reactions: Jimmybarndoor2

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Bruce describes himself as a players' coach. I think his colorful rants overplay the perception of him as a guy that's really going to hold the group to a high standard day in and out.

I really would have loved Bruce last time we were hiring, but I think he's more in line with Don than what we need

View attachment 856763
Yeah, after reading that I don’t know if Boudreau is a good fit for what the Sabres need right now. I agree he would have made more sense after Krueger.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Upon looking for it myself, there is a grey area it seems. You could choose to believe he didn't write this evaluation or that it doesn't constitute a recommendation but its still too much for me personally:

It would definitely be an important thing to figure out if the Sabres were interested! But I know what you mean, a lot of land mines

Reactions: Mattilaus

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
And my intuition tells me that Berube, on the contrary, is the right choice.
Maybe I’m grasping at straws but the Blues teams he coached had so much talent. Binnington was channeling his inner Dryden on that cup run too. But hey he’s definitely an upgrade either way.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I think Fairburn made a fair point - the roster type (run and gun) will dictate the coach.

Some coaching names on 'the list' will not want to coach the weakest hitting & weak defensive team. At the very least there would be pushback.

Ruff may be the only coach willing to accept Adams' soft-hockey philosophy.
Fairburn also said that the players we have aren't too far off from being able to play a different style.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

View attachment 856763
Reminds me of Ruff going after his best players (Vanek). He just didn't let them in on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad