Sep 9, 2009
I think Julien makes the most sense.
Gallant is intriguing.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
So, McLellan isn't a guy I am targeting, but he is an interesting option.

Known as a players coach, he's both coached a high shot volume fast paced attacking team in SJ, and he's coached a more methodical defensive 1-3-1 system with the LAK. Not sure what route he'd go for here, but that kind of flexibility is a good thing.

He's worked with Woodcroft (and McLean) in Det under Babcock, bringing Woodcroft with him to SJ, and Edmonton,
I think a coach who adopts a strategy that fits the players he has on each of his lines will get the most out of those players (e.g., a line with limited offensive skills should play a more defense oriented strategy; a line with highly skilled offensively gifted players should play a fast paces attacking strategy). I also like the concept of having 5 man units, like the Russian Red Army team used to employ, which makes better use of all five players playing a single strategy.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Good coaches and post season performance usually go hand in hand. Keefe has yet to prove this!
Dubas and Spezza may scoop him up.

Why would Pitt want him if he can’t win in the playoffs? That’s all Crosby wants is to win so don’t think that’s a good match

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Why would Pitt want him if he can’t win in the playoffs? That’s all Crosby wants is to win so don’t think that’s a good match
Same reason he hired him in Toronto.
Nepotism, but I agree it is not a good match at all.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I think Julien makes the most sense.
Gallant is intriguing.
Gallant knows how to coach kids. He would bring in that leadership off the bench. To me Julien is a better fit in Toronto. Not sure if Julien really wants to build a team than to take over one that is underachieving and get them to the cup. More dollars for him in Toronto too.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Julien had some health scare at the end in MTL so I'd be a bit concerned on that front but he'd probably be a great fit otherwise.

I think I might prioritize Berube though.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
LOL. Did anyone else see Berube’s face when Biznasty said he would break the news Berube would be the Leafs next head coach. I’d say it’s a done deal.

Oct 10, 2010
Sounds like Green and Evason are favourites both have met with the club multiple times.

Kinda disappointing to have Berube slip away after all that time he’s been available.

They probably have a budget of 2-3M for our next coach I’m assuming.

Both Berube & McLellan will cost likely double that to come here.

Last edited:

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Evason could be the guy; Still think they should be considering Julien at least.
I don’t mind Evason but that is a lot of 1st round losses on his record. I’d like to get past the 1st round. Not that it means he can’t do it but…idk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad