Speculation: The coaching search continues

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

The best thing about DJ is he brought a system here to win and the players did absolutely ZERO to play that system or honour the coaches details of winning and with all the players refusing to play winning hockey and help DJ keep his job DJ let them walk all over him and replied with “that’s on me, the players are doing their best, they are out there giving 100% they care and are right there ready to take over, blame me”

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
The organization has generally had their best years/highest peaks under coaches with previous NHL HC experience (Martin/Murray/Boucher) and has had some of their lowest moments under guys who were first time NHL HC's (Clouston/Hartsburg/DJ/ect) so I think there's probably an inherent bias towards guys who've "been there and done that".

It doesn't mean there's a right or wrong way to approach this coaching search, it just means there's reasons why people might want to see someone with experience brought in.

At the end of the day I'm confident whoever will be brought in will be an upgrade over what the team has had recently, but it's "easier" to get behind a veteran of the game who can show our young group what it takes to win.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
The organization has generally had their best years/highest peaks under coaches with previous NHL HC experience (Martin/Murray/Boucher) and has had some of their lowest moments under guys who were first time NHL HC's (Clouston/Hartsburg/DJ/ect) so I think there's probably an inherent bias towards guys who've "been there and done that".
The bolded is why I want to play it safe and get a Berube, Boudreau, Evason, etc...

Look how much structure a vet like JM was able to instill. Brady and Bath finished the season night and day defensively under Martin. Idgaf if we bring back Boucher and play boring trap hockey. Just get a coach who knows how to get it done.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
A couple of the garbage day interviews suggested they are looking to be held accountable by each other and the coaches, might just be the normal sound bites, but when you combine it with talk about Jacques teaching them how to play the right way and take care of the details, I think they are going to be looking for someone who is less of a players coach and more of a systems/detail oriented guy.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
A couple of the garbage day interviews suggested they are looking to be held accountable by each other and the coaches, might just be the normal sound bites, but when you combine it with talk about Jacques teaching them how to play the right way and take care of the details, I think they are going to be looking for someone who is less of a players coach and more of a systems/detail oriented guy.
I sure hope that's the direction they go - this team is so far past the point of needing a coach that caters to the players. Time to bring in someone who can crack the whip, so to speak, and get them to buy into a system that nets results.

Reactions: armani

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Exactly what the need, someone to bring in a system, instil it, and ensure the team buys in

Reactions: armani

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Can’t believe John Gruden is going to be our coach another no name non winner ( at the NHL level)
At least this time it's presumably not because of salary demands limiting the hiring pool. If they choose Gruden, it'll be because he's just flat out the guy they want imo. I don't think you could say that about all the previous HC hiring's.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
The bolded is why I want to play it safe and get a Berube, Boudreau, Evason, etc...

Look how much structure a vet like JM was able to instill. Brady and Bath finished the season night and day defensively under Martin. Idgaf if we bring back Boucher and play boring trap hockey. Just get a coach who knows how to get it done.

I do, personally, give af if we bring back Boucher

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I sure hope that's the direction they go - this team is so far past the point of needing a coach that caters to the players. Time to bring in someone who can crack the whip, so to speak, and get them to buy into a system that nets results.

Exactly what the need, someone to bring in a system, instil it, and ensure the team buys in

Yeah, no more amnesia/reset, let's go John Kreese to Cobra Kai these guys' ass so they are held accountable all year. That means EVERYONE coming at peak shape and ready to go from training camp. I hope they all have individual growth and workout plans for the off-season. Tailored to what is needed from the player to succeed in his role.

Staios is accountable for providing them the supporting personnel. Hiring the head coach sooner than later is a priority so that they can support the coach's footprint in recruiting the types of players they need. To supplement with what they know of their own evaluation of player personnel.

Reactions: Relapsing

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Garrioch says here he thinks the Berube ship has sailed. He lists Evason and McLellan as possibilities and then talks about Gruden. He did say he thinks Gruden will be part of the staff one way or another, so I guess he’ll be an assistant if not the head coach.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/~2906540

Reactions: Crosside
Oct 10, 2010
Garrioch says here he thinks the Berube ship has sailed. He lists Evason and McLellan as possibilities and then talks about Gruden. He did say he thinks Gruden will be part of the staff one way or another, so I guess he’ll be an assistant if not the head coach.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/~2906540
It’s Gruden that much is obvious they could’ve had Evason, Roy, Berube or McLellan long time ago and decided not to hire any because the choice is Gruden and so Staios and company need to wait until the Marlies season is complete to officially hire him.

Reactions: Satoru Gojo

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
It’s Gruden that much is obvious they could’ve had Evason, Roy, Berube or McLellan long time ago and decided not to hire any because the choice is Gruden and so Staios and company need to wait until the Marlies season is complete to officially hire him.
That, or they're waiting to see who shakes loose after some playoff exits. I sure hope it's that VS hiring another coach from Torontos system.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
It may very well be Gruden but I wouldn’t say it’s obvious. Perhaps they wanted to do a complete process rather than settle for the limited group available mid season.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Wasn't thrilled with Staios being given the GM job given that he has next to no experience. I wanted an experienced GM. Hopefully they decide to bring in a very experienced coach with some championships under his belt.
At least Jacques will be back in a front office role and can provide his experience as both a coach and a former GM.

Oct 10, 2010
It may very well be Gruden but I wouldn’t say it’s obvious. Perhaps they wanted to do a complete process rather than settle for the limited group available mid season.
We’ll see I think it’s obvious just because of the winning history and working relationship with Staios and Andlauer , I would be shocked if they hired anyone else personally.

It’s definitely not an exciting potential hire that’s for sure,but hopefully it works out .

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
At least this time it's presumably not because of salary demands limiting the hiring pool. If they choose Gruden, it'll be because he's just flat out the guy they want imo. I don't think you could say that about all the previous HC hiring's.
Yep, it happened at least twice in the Melnyk era

Murray wanted Bob Hartley in 2008 but reportedly was capped on $$$ so we ended up with the awful Craig Hartsburg

Boudreau was in the final steps in 2016 but Minnesota offered more term and $$$

Boucher had one of the lowest NHL coach salaries during his tenure

DJ Smith was likely not a pricey coach either

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Yep, it happened at least twice in the Melnyk era

Murray wanted Bob Hartley in 2008 but reportedly was capped on $$$ so we ended up with the awful Craig Hartsburg

Boudreau was in the final steps in 2016 but Minnesota offered more term and $$$

Boucher had one of the lowest NHL coach salaries during his tenure

DJ Smith was likely not a pricey coach either
I agree with that summary for the most part as that is about how I remember it too. The famous quote about them needing to "walk on water" to get paid well I think was about Boudreau and it was an aspect to the hiring story always raised. At some point Melnyk was pretty open about it on some 1200 interview that he didn't think it was necessary to pay high wages to get top performance from coaches and executives. Something to the effect of why pay one guy x millions when you can pay someone else x amount to do the same job, you just have to find them. It seemed like a lot of potential candidates were eliminated by media as options for salary demands early on in the process, but I'd have to dive deep to find those examples if I remember that correctly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad