Speculation: The coaching search continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Right, I'm sure everyone will be signing up to eat crow if Green finds success here...
We always do. Saying that there hasn’t been much to cheer about obviously for a long time. Results are hard to deny. The pessimists always eat the crow. The optimists never do.

Being disappointed is ok. I was and still am.

Not giving Green a chance isn't.
We don’t have a choice but to give him a. Chance.

Sure, if what you're looking for is doom scrolling, I was hoping for insight on how he runs a team, and Corrado provided a fair bit of it, did you listen to it yet? Some good stuff were what to expect.
I will on my drive in to work. I don’t imagine it’s much different than what most players say publicly about most coaches

Reactions: h2

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Every time there’s a below average move made here people always end up trying to spin it into positive, I mean I get it what else can we do? But at some point its okay to stop being fine with mediocrity too IMO
This is literally the extent of the "positivity" regarding the hire (outside of swiftwin lol):

So I’ll admit I’m disappointed with the hire, but the management group evaluated what type of coach they think the players need, so we now just have to watch and see if they were right.

Reactions: Dionysus

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012

I mean, it's not really up to us either way.

He's getting a chance like it or not.

If we start winning, then great. I'll be fine with being wrong. I really hope I end up being wrong.

Reactions: DrEasy

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Frankie Corrado very positive on Green this morning, some good info there.
What does he know? Haha.... Man reading this site is a welcome awakening. No real productive discussion to be had. I tried, nothing but trolling or pure negativity was the response.

What did MJ say? I respect his take. Wish Simmer were still on TSN1200 to hear his thoughts on Green...or other coach options. TSN1200 is a shell of its former self.. mostly radio jockeys 🏇 with little insight to add 😞

More MJ & Cheryl Pounder please 🙏
In what world is Simmer providing better analysis than Corrado or Johnson? Do people actually listen to these people and deduce that Simmer is a better hockey mind?

I think I've had my fair share around here. I'll repeat it again Green wasn't even close to my first choice, 2nd or 3rd but there's obviously nothing productive being accomplished.

Hopefully the sens win the lottery tonight. If they win I'll be celebrating with fans that are capable of being objective and open to having an impartial conversation.

Last edited:

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
What a horrible hire. The only reason he was a coach for so long is because the Canucks were run by Doroin's rival when it came to stupidity. He was then an interim for NJD. We scraped the bottom of the barrel and could only have picked worse if we chose Eakins.

I'm going to assume that Berube, Evason, Julien, etc...were approached and just turned down the job for Staios & co to make this bargain bin selection. If this is someone our management proactively wants, it is severely disappointing.

Ah well, it's not like we can get any worse

Reactions: Larionov

Philadelphia Collins

May 31, 2011
hiring him yesterday but they can’t hold a press conference announcing it until the day after the draft lottery is classic Sens lol

Luckily the hiring went over well online

• Haha
Reactions: aragorn

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
So...is it official, or what? Kinda weird that everyone seems to say it is, but is it done or not?

I don't care for the hire, but I do expect the traditional "new coach bump" next season, no matter who we get. But after that, it's open season on criticisms. :D

Puikiou

Oct 15, 2013
Trying to take the next step with a coach that hasn't won a damn thing in the NHL (AGAIN)? What exactly has Greene accomplished in his coaching career? What pedigree does he bring to a room full of children that don't have a single clue about how to consistently win a hockey game? How is this best in class when you have fantastic cup winning coaches like Quenneville and Berube out there? When does this nightmare end? WTF!

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
So...is it official, or what? Kinda weird that everyone seems to say it is, but is it done or not?

I don't care for the hire, but I do expect the traditional "new coach bump" next season, no matter who we get. But after that, it's open season on criticisms. :D

I wonder who Green prefers- Chabot or Chychryn?

If Green can fix the PK and the PP that goes a long way to getting Ottawa into the playoffs. He also coached Markstrom for a long time which is something to keep an eye on.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I mean, it's not really up to us either way.

He's getting a chance like it or not.

If we start winning, then great. I'll be fine with being wrong. I really hope I end up being wrong.
Maybe it is just me not spending much time on here but the over-the-top negativity is next level and, to some degree I get it, I am disappointed.

But it sure sounds like some fans are more invested in "woe is me as a Sens fan" than in the team turning a corner.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
I think everyone needs a reality check here on who the hell would want to come to Ottawa to coach an NHL team. That's the bottom line. I am sure Staois and lets not forget Poulin, spoke to or interviewed a few candidates, but in the end, it's our city and the choice of destination. Period. We are a small town/city that cannot even keep a high-end luxury retailer like Holt Renfrew or Nordstrom's. I am sure there were quite a few rejections from available coaches with pedigree. I have accepted it as this is the fate of our small, sleepy Ottawa. Really, why in the past have we always hired no-name coaches? Because the big names could go to much nicer and fancier destinations.
I think this is a bit gloomy.

I’d venture that coaches care more about organization and roster construction than whether Nordstrom is available to them given the job uncertainty around their profession.

Berube thinking this team might not be a playoff team yet makes sense. The instability we had coming from the top in the Melnyk and Dorion era would for sure chase any talent away. So I don’t think this is necessarily a permanent state. Build a good organization and the coaches will come.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Guys it’s okay AJ Jakubec says when New England hired Belicheck, patriots fans hated that too. And he went on to become the greatest football coach ever.

He goes on to say that that probably won’t happen with Green BUT….

Just if you want to hear some hard hitting analysis from team1200

Well I doubt they would have brought on someone who was just going to tear him to shreds
He’s on once or twice a week, they didn’t just “bring him on”.

hiring him yesterday but they can’t hold a press conference announcing it until the day after the draft lottery is classic Sens lol

Is that’s what was reported, announced tomorrow.?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If Dorion was the GM in the midst of hiring Green, you’d be losing your f***ing mind right now.
Quote the entire post please. I also didn't lose my mind on the hiring of DJ. Again there pages of proof. I was even accused of being a DJ defender. Around 30 posts up I talk about DJ and his tenure here youre welcome to re visit it.

I've provided plenty of context and we'll thought out discussion in regards to the Green hire. Plenty of opportunity for you to have a productive conversation. It's a shame that you have to take this hostile position with so many posters. People come to this site to have a productive discussion. When you gas light in this way it really takes away from the overall experience. Maybe you can re visit my posts and we can have a well thought out conversation.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Sens mgt have not given enuf focus on SICK MUSTACHE on the new coach. Islanders like Walrus Paul MacLean, World Jr coach Badger-head Gardiner MacDougall ...whiskers make a good coach, eh?!
2024-U18M-macdougall-coach.jpg

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
What does he know? Haha.... Man reading this site is a welcome awakening. No real productive discussion to be had. I tried, nothing but trolling or pure negativity was the response.

Frankie played for him in Utica, they also went to the finals one of those 2 years.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Maybe it is just me not spending much time on here but the over-the-top negativity is next level and, to some degree I get it, I am disappointed.

But it sure sounds like some fans are more invested in "woe is me as a Sens fan" than in the team turning a corner.
Agreed this site is unbearable at the moment. The worst part of it is some people are so distraught they won't engage in any actual honest and factual conversation. It's impossible right now. Look at the Corrado slander. This is one of the best hockey analysts on the Planet that would educate absolutely everyone here on the sport. He actually played for Green. About as good a source as you could have. He's a regular on TSN1200 he has one or two spots a week and covers hockey on television for TSN. But is being ripped on like he'd a nobody. Sad state around here.

Frankie played for him in Utica, they also went to the finals one of those 2 years.
It was sarcasm sorry it wasn't evident.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
They must have done their due diligence, this is not Dorion. They must have looked at the Vancouver years as a wash because of questionable management and think he can do a better job here.

I'm trying to make myself feel better about this, sure, but there's no way this was done without hundreds of hours of thought behind it

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Staios was in Europe for the u 18s maybe he's still traveling.

The definitely should have brought in some anonymous HF nucks fans rather than someone who played for him, we'd have gotten much better insight.
Haha yeah a solid source is someone who would fire a coach for taking the team to the finals for his league. Now that is a sound hockey mind! Forget about the professional who is paid to analyze hockey for a living played a decade of pro hockey and actually played for the coach on said run to the finals.

Reactions: asw and Golden_Jet

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
I think that 99.9% of fans have no idea who makes a good coach, or what coaching hires will be successful. I include myself in that. A lot of coaches currently considered to be very competent had failed stints elsewhere.

I know that Staios and his team are at least looking deeper than Vancouver's record in Green's time there. Which is all the fans who are melting down over this are looking at.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012

I think that fans have really tried to stay positive. But given how that positivity has been thrown back in our faces for a number of years now, it's hard to maintain.

At this point we're in the "show me" state of the core timeline. I have a little patience given that it's new management but ultimately what they say means very little in the face of poor on ice results. Staios has a lot of work to do this summer, and if he can't get this team off the ground and somewhat competitive then I think fans have a right to be upset.

I think expectations have been pretty conservative, and even then the failure to meet them has been stark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad