The Cloverfield Paradox - Coming "very soon" to Netflix

TomPlex

Jan 24, 2006
www.dermamode.com
Certainly a fun flick. The Cloverfield saga is ever changing and all encompassing. People were just expecting something similar to the last one which I think it a weird expectation considering how different the first two were. Yeah, it didn't have that psychological thriller aspect to it, but who's to say that's a flaw? I like how this series has had three completely different types of storytelling that all tie into the same plot.

Reactions: Supermassive

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Certainly a fun flick. The Cloverfield saga is ever changing and all encompassing. People were just expecting something similar to the last one which I think it a weird expectation considering how different the first two were. Yeah, it didn't have that psychological thriller aspect to it, but who's to say that's a flaw? I like how this series has had three completely different types of storytelling that all tie into the same plot.
The movie itself was incredibly flawed. Take away the Cloverfield name-tag and its a made for TV flop. I'm not usually a movie snob or anything like that, but I've tried to find redeeming qualities for the movie and can't come up with many.

Not stellar acting, questionable choices made by characters, tons of wtf-moments that aren't explained other than by
dimension paradox! By that last part I'm refering to walls that swallow arms, arms that for some reason have a mind of their own to help the main characters, a gyro and hundreds of worms for some reason being inside of a crew member that feels almost no ill effects until he spontaneously dies, a ship intent on killing its crew (see: locking the Asian girl in a room and drowning her). Lastly, doesn't explain at all where the monsters come from, as they were at best a minor side plot of this movie.
I don't mind Cloverfield going in all sorts of directions, but this was just a bad movie IMO.

I feel with the last two, they have just taken random movies and reshot the ending to include them in the universe. 10 Cloverfield lane got a pass from me because it was a great movie on its own merits, coupled with some amazing acting. Don't see any of that with Paradox.

Reactions: EON and booyakasha
Aug 25, 2009
éal
Best part was O'Dowd character. I kinda like the parts on Earth without knowing if it was chaos created by the aliens from Lane, Clover from the original, or some other stuff.

Worse movie out of the three but I thought it was a good try anyway

Reactions: Burnoutboi

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
The movie itself was incredibly flawed. Take away the Cloverfield name-tag and its a made for TV flop. I'm not usually a movie snob or anything like that, but I've tried to find redeeming qualities for the movie and can't come up with many.

Not stellar acting, questionable choices made by characters, tons of wtf-moments that aren't explained other than by
dimension paradox! By that last part I'm refering to walls that swallow arms, arms that for some reason have a mind of their own to help the main characters, a gyro and hundreds of worms for some reason being inside of a crew member that feels almost no ill effects until he spontaneously dies, a ship intent on killing its crew (see: locking the Asian girl in a room and drowning her). Lastly, doesn't explain at all where the monsters come from, as they were at best a minor side plot of this movie.
I don't mind Cloverfield going in all sorts of directions, but this was just a bad movie IMO.

I feel with the last two, they have just taken random movies and reshot the ending to include them in the universe. 10 Cloverfield lane got a pass from me because it was a great movie on its own merits, coupled with some amazing acting. Don't see any of that with Paradox.
Agreed. it had a sliver of reasoning to why its tied into the universe. call it another movie and you would have no idea. the plot was boring and the moments that happen make no sense and I guess its because its a different dimension? I see 100% why Paramount made the movie, panicked because it got poor reviews in screenings and sold it to netflix. it was pretty poor. 4/10

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park

Good enough for me. I'll be watching this tonight with an open mind and no expectations.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
One of the strongest aspects of the original, (which I still think is a brilliant movie), is that there wasn't any explanation for anything. It was just terror. Will never forget that feeling of the movie ending and then walking out of a 23rd street theater into downtown Manhattan.

I wasn't expecting anything. I didn't even know about this movie until I saw the trailer on Netflix while I was going to watch a show. Just gave it a shot because it had Cloverfield in the title. Kind of felt...deceived, watching it.

Last edited:

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
It's like it wanted to be like event horizon, but was never able to come close to it.

It's ok, but there ARE much better sci-fi options on Netflix than this.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
The mixed bag of reviews are only making me want to give it a shot even more, LOL :D

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Haven't watched it yet. Does it jive with the ARG for Cloverfield that happened before the original movie released?

i dont know 100%, but i checked the subreddit for cloververse and they all seemed overly pumped with everything connecting (and talk of arg) so my assumption would be that it does

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
This movie is laughably bad, it's like a SciFi channel film. And the pathetic attempt to shoehorn it into the Cloverfield universe in the last 30 seconds was the cherry on top.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Was amazing and not bad. I liked that it answered questions about the first two movies and really linked the three together. Also opens up so many more potential movies as the disruptions seem to be throughout the multiverse. That arm giving them the answer was nice!

Hypernova

Apr 20, 2007
Boston, MA
www.worldwrasslinpodcast.com
Was amazing and not bad. I liked that it answered questions about the first two movies and really linked the three together. Also opens up so many more potential movies as the disruptions seem to be throughout the multiverse. That arm giving them the answer was nice!

What exactly did it answer about the first two movies? I must have missed that.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
I was going to ask this, because in the first Cloverfield movie there was no energy crisis mentioned, yet in this movie it was like they'd never seen the cloverfield monster before.

The only guess that I can make is somehow when there is some time paradox where the capsule goes back in time or into another dimension and that's what splashed down at the end of the first movie and woke up the baby monster.

But it didn't make sense except to say that the Cloverfield monsters are pan dimensional, but they still would have known about those things as there had been one there before.

I can but that the second movie takes place in the future after the events of Paradox.

but it really didn't make sense.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
What exactly did it answer about the first two movies? I must have missed that.

Where the monsters/demons/aliens "came" from is the big one. Not exactly what planet or dimension but that they were given access to Earth in the various dimensions we have seen by the Shepard.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I was going to ask this, because in the first Cloverfield movie there was no energy crisis mentioned, yet in this movie it was like they'd never seen the cloverfield monster before.

The only guess that I can make is somehow when there is some time paradox where the capsule goes back in time or into another dimension and that's what splashed down at the end of the first movie and woke up the baby monster.

But it didn't make sense except to say that the Cloverfield monsters are pan dimensional, but they still would have known about those things as there had been one there before.

I can but that the second movie takes place in the future after the events of Paradox.

but it really didn't make sense.
It created an opening both in time and space allowing the creatures access to various dimensions at various times.

The Earth's are subtly different and we see some of the links between the movies.

Hypernova

Apr 20, 2007
Boston, MA
www.worldwrasslinpodcast.com
How/why the monsters showed up....how did you miss that?

Yea I know they said weird stuff could happen with the Cloverfield Paradox but nothing that happened really explains anything. So the accelerator runs and fails and that leads to aliens on earth on Cloverfield 2 and the one monster that fell from the sky in Cloverfield 1? That is a pretty crappy explanation if that's what their intention was. Why only 1 monster in Cloverfield 1 yet in this movie, there are many? Why do aliens in the second movie have to be related to the paradox? Why can't they just be there. Why does an arm help further along the plot? This movie if anything just raised more questions with the series.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Yea I know they said weird stuff could happen with the Cloverfield Paradox but nothing that happened really explains anything. So the accelerator runs and fails and that leads to aliens on earth on Cloverfield 2 and the one monster that fell from the sky in Cloverfield 1? That is a pretty crappy explanation if that's what their intention was. Why only 1 monster in Cloverfield 1 yet in this movie, there are many? Why do aliens in the second movie have to be related to the paradox? Why can't they just be there. Why does an arm help further along the plot? This movie if anything just raised more questions with the series.

You are way overthinking it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad