The Chicago Bears move one step closer to moving to the suburbs (UPD: now pushing for a lakefront city-owned dome?)

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Much ado about nothing. None of the towns by themselves are big enough to give the Bears a meaningful financial package. There's no state money as downstate legislators have easy political points shooting anything like this down while no Chicago legislators would ever support helping the Bears leave. Cook County money's not forthcoming, as that is dominated by Chicago as well, so that strikes out other Cook municipalities. All that leaves is for them to try to fish for money from other counties, and basically all of them have heavy NIMBY components to oppose a massive Sunday headache to areas already pretty traffic-jammed.

Bears shot their shot and were left astonished that the parties that be didn't want to play ball despite it being readily obvious to everyone their plans were all dead.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Much ado about nothing. None of the towns by themselves are big enough to give the Bears a meaningful financial package. There's no state money as downstate legislators have easy political points shooting anything like this down while no Chicago legislators would ever support helping the Bears leave. Cook County money's not forthcoming, as that is dominated by Chicago as well, so that strikes out other Cook municipalities. All that leaves is for them to try to fish for money from other counties, and basically all of them have heavy NIMBY components to oppose a massive Sunday headache to areas already pretty traffic-jammed.

Bears shot their shot and were left astonished that the parties that be didn't want to play ball despite it being readily obvious to everyone their plans were all dead.
CC Hills was brought to the team by the Cook County Commissioner.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
As someone that’s pushing forty, screw it. Make all northern stadiums domed. Retractable, sure, if possible, but I almost froze my feet off at Soldier once. Gimme creature comforts.
Multiple people who attended that Subzero Kansas City Chiefs playoff game have had amputations or face likely amputations from frostbite

• Wow
Reactions: MiddleEarth

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I'm still bidding on Northwest Indiana.
Wouldn't that be full circle? I remember all the talks of going to Gary in the 90s before they finally got the Soldier Field reno deal done.

Only the NW Suburbs make sense if they leave the city. Team data shows ~60% of season ticket holders are up this way.

All due respect to Chicago, great city and I enjoy visiting there.

But you can have my Super Bowl tickets for free if it means Chicago in mid-February.

6 years ago I went to a Super Bowl in Minneapolis and it was fine until the game ended
I'm sure they'll get 1 as a reward for building it, but that'll be it. The Super Bowl belongs where it's warm. It's as much about pampering corporate partners with outdoor parties and golf as it is about the game.

That said, I'm sure they'll enter the Final Four rotation and can hopefully steal the Big Ten Championship game from Indy.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Building a domed stadium in a Northern city basically results in hosting a Super Bowl by default. Detroit, Minneapolis, and Indy all got one, so safe bet here, too, if one gets built.

Fat chance at any more than just the one, though.

Reactions: BKIslandersFan

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
OK, so I've only been to Chicago once, 24 years ago. I certainly did not see a football game while I was there.

But I remember driving by Soldier Field and thinking "what a fantastic spot for a football stadium!" Right there by the lake, right beside the Interstate, right beside downtown.

Not sure why the Bears would ever want to leave. But of course as a non-local there could easily be things I'm missing.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
OK, so I've only been to Chicago once, 24 years ago. I certainly did not see a football game while I was there.

But I remember driving by Soldier Field and thinking "what a fantastic spot for a football stadium!" Right there by the lake, right beside the Interstate, right beside downtown.

Not sure why the Bears would ever want to leave. But of course as a non-local there could easily be things I'm missing.
Oh, it's so bad. Essentially, due to it being on the other side of Lake Shore Drive (which is a US Highway with stoplights, not an Interstate) as well as the Metra Electric tracks, it feels like it's 'on an island'.

For pedestrians, there's only 2 entry points to cross Lake Shore Drive & the tracks:
  • Roosevelt tunnel (circled at the top). Almost everyone taking public transportation enters here, after taking the 'L' to Roosevelt. It's a 20-minute walk from Roosevelt Station (top left) to the north end of the stadium. Quite the hassle compared to the 2 baseball parks, which have stations right on their corners.
  • 18th St. Bridge (circled at the bottom), features a crisscrossing bridge leading into a tunnel. It's a half mile just from the start of the bridge to the stadium.
Parking is awful, too, with only those 2 lots you see at the bottom on-site, which are a nightmare to get into (because of how difficult it is to cross Lake Shore Drive). Many have to park in remote lots and shuttle over.

So basically, it sucks to drive there and sucks to take the train there. And then it's an awful venue once you're inside.

1710511508251.png

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Oh, it's so bad. Essentially, due to it being on the other side of Lake Shore Drive (which is a US Highway with stoplights, not an Interstate) as well as the Metra Electric tracks, it feels like it's 'on an island'.

For pedestrians, there's only 2 entry points to cross Lake Shore Drive & the tracks:
  • Roosevelt tunnel (circled at the top). Almost everyone taking public transportation enters here, after taking the 'L' to Roosevelt. It's a 20-minute walk from Roosevelt Station (top left) to the north end of the stadium. Quite the hassle compared to the 2 baseball parks, which have stations right on their corners.
  • 18th St. Bridge (circled at the bottom), features a crisscrossing bridge leading into a tunnel. It's a half mile just from the start of the bridge to the stadium.
Parking is awful, too, with only those 2 lots you see at the bottom on-site, which are a nightmare to get into (because of how difficult it is to cross Lake Shore Drive). Many have to park in remote lots and shuttle over.

So basically, it sucks to drive there and sucks to take the train there. And then it's an awful venue once you're inside.

View attachment 836432
George Halas wanted NOTHING to do with the original Soldier Field and was content at Wrigley. His hand was forced when Monday Night Football became a thing in 1970.

The renovations made in 2002 made a bad stadium worse.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
As someone that’s pushing forty, screw it. Make all northern stadiums domed. Retractable, sure, if possible, but I almost froze my feet off at Soldier once. Gimme creature comforts.

I had a lot of fun at snow games in the past. Now as someone over 40 with kids and wife who can't stand cold I love football in a dome. I went to a Lions game in January 2023 and was like just liked being comfortable.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Chicago will likely get more than one SB because it’s Chicago… as long as the dome happens.

On the accessibility subject, I’m reminded of the 1994 World Cup and the taxi companies were all salivating over opportunities. That is until they found out that most fans staying anywhere near the loop were just walking to the stadium.

Heck, I went to a game there during the 1999 WWC and parked by Union Station and did just that. Of course, summer.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014

View attachment 836432
Haven’t been there in ages. Do they still have piss troughs in the bathroom instead of urinals?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad